PDA

View Full Version : Randy Pedersen on "how to get more revs"

bowl1820
05-18-2012, 11:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iStdGqRPsuA&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLB0F709E848F857D6

billf
05-19-2012, 12:33 AM
Good video but I still think it's easier, with one less timing thing to worry about, to just cup the wrist in the stance and leave it cupped until the release.

eugene02
05-20-2012, 11:52 AM
Good video but I still think it's easier, with one less timing thing to worry about, to just cup the wrist in the stance and leave it cupped until the release.

tried cupping my wrist with the ball in my hand at home and practiced swinging the ball.. The ball seems too heavy for my hand to support if i cup it.. any idea how to strengthen it?

billf
05-20-2012, 12:00 PM
Sure. Sit down and lean forward slightly. Rest your elbow against your hip area with the back of your forearm against the thigh, wrist just past the knee, palm up. Allow your wrist to bend back wards then curl your wrist up towards the forearm and hold for a second or two, then relax. Once you feel comfortable performing this action then you can add objects to your hand or fingers to add weight or use a dumb bell if available. As soon as I get a few minutes I will make a video of this and post it here so you can see exactly what I mean, in case there is any doubt.

eugene02
05-20-2012, 12:23 PM
Sure. Sit down and lean forward slightly. Rest your elbow against your hip area with the back of your forearm against the thigh, wrist just past the knee, palm up. Allow your wrist to bend back wards then curl your wrist up towards the forearm and hold for a second or two, then relax. Once you feel comfortable performing this action then you can add objects to your hand or fingers to add weight or use a dumb bell if available. As soon as I get a few minutes I will make a video of this and post it here so you can see exactly what I mean, in case there is any doubt.

oh! okay thanks! normally how long does it takes before it takes effect?

MICHAEL
05-20-2012, 12:39 PM
Great video,,, good information!! thanks billf/bowl1820 Knowledge is Power!! (:)

nev
05-20-2012, 08:38 PM
Fantastic Video
I'm wondering about hand position
I am assuming the fingers are in the 4 5 O'Clock position
If you have the hand directly behind /under the ball all this will do is put more forward roll on the ball
Will it not??

billf
05-20-2012, 11:43 PM
Fantastic Video
I'm wondering about hand position
I am assuming the fingers are in the 4 5 O'Clock position
If you have the hand directly behind /under the ball all this will do is put more forward roll on the ball
Will it not??

Depends on what axis rotation you are wanting to create. Most people get a nice, controllable rotation just from starting with their fingers at 6 and rotating to 4. With the cupping it doesn't take a tone of finger rotation to generate a good axis rotation. A lot of the pro's (Rash, Jones) actually start more along 8 with the fingers and rotate to 5. This gives them plenty of axis rotation, cupping for the revs and the finish at 5 generates a little more speed.

billf
05-20-2012, 11:45 PM
oh! okay thanks! normally how long does it takes before it takes effect?

Depends. How weak your wrist is will be a factor.

eugene02
05-21-2012, 12:07 AM
Depends. How weak your wrist is will be a factor.

super bloody weak i guess >_<

bowl1820
05-21-2012, 12:33 AM
To test your wrist hold your ball down by your side with your palm facing forward and your wrist relaxed. Then cup your wrist forward and count to 10 slowly. If you can hold your wrist cupped that long then your wrist is strong enough.

eugene02
05-21-2012, 01:04 AM
To test your wrist hold your ball down by your side with your palm facing forward and your wrist relaxed. Then cup your wrist forward and count to 10 slowly. If you can hold your wrist cupped that long then your wrist is strong enough.

okay.. let me test it now..

eugene02
05-21-2012, 01:08 AM

okay.. i can hold up for 10 seconds no problem.. just that the ball is pressing on the underneath of the knuckle part on the palm.. maybe because this ball of mine was drilled to be fitted with a guard and i'm not using any guard now.. thats why? trying to bowl without guard..

slmrcs
05-25-2012, 09:35 AM
After going through 6 different thumb hole pitches the last year (going from 0 lateral to 0 forward, to 3/8's forward, and eventually ending up at 5/8 left lateral, 1/8 forward), I think wrist strength while important is an overrated factor. How secure you are able to hold the ball in position, with your thumb, without grabbing onto it is key.

This tip is rather advanced. And it depends on your game. Although I have been working on releasing the ball like this myself. Haven't video taped myself doing it yet, but with the forward pitch I'm using, uncupping wrist makes it easier to get ball off my hand.

billf
05-27-2012, 02:01 PM
After going through 6 different thumb hole pitches the last year (going from 0 lateral to 0 forward, to 3/8's forward, and eventually ending up at 5/8 left lateral, 1/8 forward), I think wrist strength while important is an overrated factor. How secure you are able to hold the ball in position, with your thumb, without grabbing onto it is key.

This tip is rather advanced. And it depends on your game. Although I have been working on releasing the ball like this myself. Haven't video taped myself doing it yet, but with the forward pitch I'm using, uncupping wrist makes it easier to get ball off my hand.

Wrist strength is overrated? So it doesn't matter if you can cup the ball? I really hope I'm misunderstanding you here. The only wrist strength needed is to cup the ball. While we are at it, it's not true wrist strength but rather the ability for the forearm muscles to maintain a bent wrist (cupped) position so it's really forearm strength.

bowl1820
05-28-2012, 09:34 AM

I get the impression here you think the talk about wrist strength and cupping the ball here is just about holdng the ball and not dropping it and a clean release.

It's about imparting rev's on the ball. Cocking your hand and cupping it are used to increase rev's and hook.

Yes "How secure you are able to hold the ball in position, with your thumb, without grabbing onto it is key." (squeezing) is important. But with a properly fitted ball you can have that and still cup the ball.

kev3inp
05-28-2012, 12:47 PM
This had some popularity a while back to strengthen wrists. http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11176813&010=SKU-9482122&003=4239056&camp=CSE:GoogleBase:11176813

itstherookie2012
05-28-2012, 01:51 PM
thanks for tip. i'll try this tomorrow on my evening league. i'm just a rookie (is that the right term)....