PDA

View Full Version : MOTIV Ascent Solid - Great Short Oil Ball!

Mappa
05-21-2012, 03:33 PM
I drilled my MOTIV Ascent Solid with a smooth early rolling 20* x 5” x 70* layout with the box 1000 sanded finish to enhance the cover’s natural strengths. I recently had a practice session on the WTBA’s 34 foot “Stockholm” pattern. I really liked this ball’s smoothness and predictability on the fresh. The ball begins it’s hook before the end of the pattern, then “sets” as it reaches the pocket. When the oil carries down a bit (which is common on short oil patterns), this ball handles it very well.

There are many other balls with a higher overall hook rating…but cranking it coast to coast is not always what you’re looking for. The cover and core combination allow me to play in the drier portions of the lane with a gradual, even hook. Here is a video of me rolling the Ascent Solid (and Ascent Pearl, for comparison purposes) on a low volume 40 foot house shot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKuPXy1Z0gs

With it’s low price point, this ball is also a great choice for a bowler wants to step into the reactive resin world for the first time. But… the advanced bowler should find a place for this one in their arsenal as well. It doesn’t hit like a discount ball, I assure you.

--Kevin Gallagher—
PBA Member
MOTIV Staff