PDA

View Full Version : Which is the best coverstock?

eugene02
05-24-2012, 12:16 AM
My pro shop guy recently just did up his ball.. I was there when he was drilling his own ball.. He chose the Columbia 300 Encounter.. It was a pearl surface.. a gloss shiny one.. He went to dull it.. My question is.. why did he chose the pearl glossy surface one rather than the Dark Encounter which was already matt surface ?

bowl1820
05-24-2012, 07:47 AM
It would depend on the reaction he was looking for. Sanding a pearl would make it stronger than when its shiny, but not as strong as the dark.

Plus it would even out the reaction also.

A simple look at it.
Shiny pearl- dry lanes
Mat pearl- medium lanes, medium to dry lanes
Shiny solid- medium lanes, medium to oily lanes
Mat solid- oily lanes

eugene02
05-24-2012, 08:56 AM
It would depend on the reaction he was looking for. Sanding a pearl would make it stronger than when its shiny, but not as strong as the dark.

Plus it would even out the reaction also.

A simple look at it.
Shiny pearl- dry lanes
Mat pearl- medium lanes, medium to dry lanes
Shiny solid- medium lanes, medium to oily lanes
Mat solid- oily lanes

oh.. thats good enough to know! Thanks!

eugene02
05-24-2012, 08:57 AM
so i guess for my lane 1 maxxx curve its Pure Explosion Pearl Particle

so which one it falls in?

bowl1820
05-24-2012, 09:17 AM
so i guess for my lane 1 maxxx curve its Pure Explosion Pearl Particle

so which one it falls in?

The Maxxx Curve is considered a heavy oil ball by lane 1. Which I believe is do to its 500 grit surface and particle load.

eugene02
05-24-2012, 09:22 AM
The Maxxx Curve is considered a heavy oil ball by lane 1. Which I believe is do to its 500 grit surface and particle load.

oh... if i'm not wrong is 500 grit and particle load also.. but.. the coverstock full of scratches and chipped off due to bad ball return.. DAMN!

DanielMareina
05-24-2012, 10:48 AM
I obviously don't know how the guy bowls, but because of my high rev rate, I will sand my pearls to 4000 grit usually. I do this because I get a very jumpy reaction of the end of the pattern with most pearls. I will sand my hybrid coverstocks too. I do have a few that are still polished though. The more grit the ball has, the earlier on the lane it trys to hook. If the hook you get is very sudden, then it can mean that the coverstock and core are starting to hook at the same time. I sand the polish off to get the coverstock to grab a little sooner, and create a smoother reaction at the breakpoint.

eugene02
05-24-2012, 11:28 AM
oh!!!! i was also thinking should i polish my maxxx curve after i get a new ball which is most probably a HRR.. so when the lanes are slightly drier and the HRR cannot perform as good anymore i can just change to my maxxx curve which is "polished"

eugene02
05-25-2012, 10:53 AM
should i polish my lane 1 ball after i get the DV8 HRR? so i have a medium oil ball and a heavy oil ball

bowl1820
05-25-2012, 11:15 AM
should i polish my lane 1 ball after i get the DV8 HRR? so i have a medium oil ball and a heavy oil ball

What you should do is wait untill you have both balls. So that you can then compare them, then decide the best way to adjust the coverstocks to match the conditions your on.

eugene02
05-25-2012, 11:41 AM
What you should do is wait untill you have both balls. So that you can then compare them, then decide the best way to adjust the coverstocks to match the conditions your on.

okay! thanks!