PDA

View Full Version : Abralon Pad Vs Sandpaper

eugene02
05-24-2012, 12:18 AM
Was at the pro shop a couple of days ago, after drilling his ball, he used a sandpaper instead of abralon pad to sand his ball.. with a spray of water.. wet sanding i guess.. but does the sandpaper does the job same as an abralon pad? whats the difference between this 2? sorry.. noob here..

bowl1820
05-24-2012, 07:28 AM
They Both do the same job. The main difference is the grit. Abralon pads use the European FEPA grading (the "P" scale), not the U.S. ANSI/CAMI grading. The P scale has a tighter tolerence (+/-) for the grit size. So gives a little more accurate cut.

Regular wet/dry sandpaper Is perfectly okay to use, it was used long before abralon came along. The grits are different and don't have direct abralon matches.

You can see how the sizes compare using my bowlers grit chart here.
http://home.earthlink.net/%7Elitefrozen/downloads/bowling_grit_chart.pdf

eugene02
05-24-2012, 08:58 AM
They Both do the same job. The main difference is the grit. Abralon pads use the European FEPA grading (the "P" scale), not the U.S. ANSI/CAMI grading. The P scale has a tighter tolerence (+/-) for the grit size. So gives a little more accurate cut.

Regular wet/dry sandpaper Is perfectly okay to use, it was used long before abralon came along. The grits are different and don't have direct abralon matches.

You can see how the sizes compare using my bowlers grit chart here.
http://home.earthlink.net/%7Elitefrozen/downloads/bowling_grit_chart.pdf

wow cant understand a thing in the chart >_<

billf
05-24-2012, 10:46 AM
I can. thanks for another informative chart. i didn't know abralon used a different grading system.

DanielMareina
05-24-2012, 10:53 AM
Excellent info as usual Bowl1820.
Sandpaper's grit is based off of the average grit of the sheet. So some of the grit is stronger than others parts. Abralon is closer to being the same grit across the whole pad. I use Sandpaper when doing a full resurface, because I feel like the 220 sandpaper gets the top layer off the ball a lot easier, but I always use abralon for the base and top coat. I even put my Storm Xtra Shine Polish on a 4000 grit abralon pad when I do polish one of my own bowling balls.

eugene02
05-24-2012, 11:27 AM
haven tried to sand my own ball yet.. haven got a spinner!