PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question but I need to know

MICHAEL
05-24-2012, 04:28 PM
My wife and I are now sanctioned bowlers. My question is this: First, can you be sanctioned, and bowl on a league that is not, BUT STILL get the benifits and awards ect that a sanctioned league gets? Or does the league you are bowling on have to declare if its sanctioned or not before it starts. Ok,, maybe this is a better way of putting it, I think I know the answer: I now bowl on a sanctioned league on tuesdays, and we paid the fee, its good for 1 year. When I bowl on Mondays its a non sanctioned league, we do not get any of the benifits, awards ect. on that league,,,,, correct???
We are both new bowlers, and I know this might sound dumb, but I think I have it figured out... ((or do I ??) (:>/

billf
05-24-2012, 04:30 PM
You are correct. The league has to be sanctioned to get the awards and benefits. It's usually the league secretary or local bowling association that notifies USBC and orders the awards.

JaMau24
05-24-2012, 04:47 PM
Right, you get no awards in the non-sanctioned league. So make sure you don't bowl a 300 in that league, or you won't get a ring like you would if you bowled the 300 in the Tuesday league.

MICHAEL
05-24-2012, 05:39 PM
Right, you get no awards in the non-sanctioned league. So make sure you don't bowl a 300 in that league, or you won't get a ring like you would if you bowled the 300 in the Tuesday league.

I will buy my own!!! My concern would be will my medical insurance pay for the HEART ATTACK!!! I would buy a 6 carrot zirconium diamond! Might even get a tattoo on my forehead, ( 300 )!! But leave enough room for the first league sanctioned 700 series!!!! I just thought of something,,, I can't get the 700 series on the summer league,,, it a 4 game league!! Darn!!! Its going to happen,,,,, last june is when I had the 298,,,,, !

JaMau24
05-24-2012, 06:07 PM
I will buy my own!!! My concern would be will my medical insurance pay for the HEART ATTACK!!! I would buy a 6 carrot zirconium diamond! Might even get a tattoo on my forehead, ( 300 )!! But leave enough room for the first league sanctioned 700 series!!!! I just thought of something,,, I can't get the 700 series on the summer league,,, it a 4 game league!! Darn!!! Its going to happen,,,,, last june is when I had the 298,,,,, !

Actually, I think you can still have a qualified series each week in a 4 game league. I think you can take either the first 3 games, or the last three and that will be your series. You CAN'T pick and choose which 3 out of the 4, they have to be in a row.

Can anyone confirm this is true, or not?

bowl1820
05-24-2012, 06:33 PM
If you bowl more than 3 games, but less than 6. The first Three games are what count for series award.
See rule 51b series award.

JaMau24
05-24-2012, 07:55 PM
If you bowl more than 3 games, but less than 6. The first Three games are what count for series award.
See rule 51b series award.

Ok. So first 3 games only. Thanks bowl1820

eugene02
05-24-2012, 10:02 PM
than whats with the 4th game.. haha.. waste of energy!!!

MICHAEL
05-24-2012, 10:21 PM
Buts thats how I learn~~ If only the first 3 count for awards ect,, 300 game, 600,,700,,,800 ect... why do they have 4 game leagues? Do they have 5 or 6 game leagues? If not, I wounder when they first came up with the IDEA to have and extra game that means nothing in regards to awards..... Was it put in as a cool down game? I understand that the extra game means 4 games one can win, plus total pins, but why 4? Who was the man/person/alien that came up with the idea?

bowl1820
05-24-2012, 10:53 PM
Who got the idea first is anybodys guess, lost to time.
Most of the time, youll see a 4 game series when there are small team sizes (singles, doubles and Trios). They get done done faster than regular 4 & 5 man teams. So a extra game is added to fill the time.

Also the extra "4th" game may use a different format, like a baker game.

MICHAEL
05-24-2012, 11:16 PM
thanks for the info, but what is a baker game? (remember I am learning, and damn I love this sport)!!! When I get into something I love, I want to know all I can about it! This web site is GREAT for that quest!!! Two years ago, I did not know squat about bowing, now it has replaced golf for me!!!

MICHAEL
05-24-2012, 11:24 PM
than whats with the 4th game.. haha.. waste of energy!!!

It is a transcendental rise above, all earthly experiences,,, it as close to heaven as one can be on a earthly plane! To call it a (waste of energy) is almost sacrilegious!! Energy is capacity for action, it is never wasted when bowling (:) lol LOL

eugene02
05-24-2012, 11:40 PM
It is a transcendental rise above, all earthly experiences,,, it as close to heaven as one can be on a earthly plane! To call it a (waste of energy) is almost sacrilegious!! Energy is capacity for action, it is never wasted when bowling (:) lol LOL

4th game a cool down game.. to relax after feeling all tense up for the 3 games infront! hahah

JaMau24
05-25-2012, 01:07 AM
Buts thats how I learn~~ If only the first 3 count for awards ect,, 300 game, 600,,700,,,800 ect... why do they have 4 game leagues? Do they have 5 or 6 game leagues? If not, I wounder when they first came up with the IDEA to have and extra game that means nothing in regards to awards..... Was it put in as a cool down game? I understand that the extra game means 4 games one can win, plus total pins, but why 4? Who was the man/person/alien that came up with the idea?

The 4th game will still count as a sanctioned game, which means if you bowl a 300, you'll still get a ring. It just won't count towards your series. Also, like bowl1820 said, the reason why they have 4 game leagues is for smaller leagues, especially with smaller teams (like 2 person teams). I'm personally all for it.. seeing as how we get to bowl more games for the same cost as it would have been if we just bowled 3.

billf
05-25-2012, 01:34 AM
Baker games are when the whole team bowls on the same scoring line, taking turns each frame. So on a two person team one member bowls everybody bowls the even frames while the other does the odd numbered frames. A five person team you bowl two frames, staying in the same rotation for frames 6-10 as was bowled in 1-5.
Personally I'm not fond of the baker format but it is used in high school and college bowling.

MICHAEL
05-25-2012, 09:44 AM
Its too bad that they don't have a league, lets say two person, where you get to have the BEST score, go on the screen of the two!, Like golf,, scramble type bowling! You would have to have 4 games with Top Gun Bowlers, because there would be many 300 games. but for the average bowler, it would be fun to do on occasion! JMHO!!

MICHAEL
05-25-2012, 09:50 AM
billf I have seen that on ESPN!! I would not like that either. throwing just two frames in a game would be a long day for me!! scramble bowling you would get to throw every frame, and the best score of your two person team would go in the screen. Do they have that in league bowling? Then when I bowl with my wife, we would not be at such a disadvantage. She can throw strikes, and who knows,, maybe when I miss one, that would be the moment that she Hits it!!

billf
05-25-2012, 11:04 PM
The only time I know of that any sanctioned league does anything like that (scramble) would be on the last night when it's usually fun night with the handing out of awards and such. On those nights the scoring doesn't count so different types of games are played.

MICHAEL
05-27-2012, 11:35 PM
Yes Bill, we had that on the seniors league the last night! No, it was (9 pins and you got a strike),,, that was fun)! Lots of high score games, but no 300's!!