PDA

View Full Version : Tournament Today

JaMau24
05-26-2012, 06:01 PM
I bowled in a 8 game sweeper tourney today. It was fun, but really, I had no shot at winning. I have no idea why the handicap was set at 80% of 200. There were SEVERAL "high rollers" there that averaged 220, 230, and maybe a couple 240 (On a typical house shot pattern). We even bowled on a typical house shot pattern, which is extremely easy for those guys. Handicap should have been set at 80% of 220 in my opinion, to at least give someone like me a shot (207 average). It was kinda ridiculous to know that me, and all of those unreal bowlers all have the same handicap which was ZERO. One guy absolutely dominated. He had an 800 series after his first 3 games, and I know he shot a couple more 270+ games. I know there were at least two 300 games, and several more almost 300's.

There looked to be about 10 bowlers or so people that were sponsored by a company. I even saw a guy (professional) bowling that I have seen on ESPN bowling before (Nathan Bohr). First time I've been in a tourney with a pro that I've seen on TV.

I didn't shoot that well. I came in with a 207 average, and for the tourney, I averaged 197. I finally started shooting well on games 6,7, and 8. I was ready to shoot another 8 games then. Too many opens today though, I had one every game, and it always seemed like it was in the worst spot.

1st Game: 171
2nd Game: 194
3rd Game: 210
4th Game: 173
5th Game: 178
6th Game: 231
7th Game: 203
8th Game: 220

The 170 games are just killer. Awful games, multiple open frames. You can't go 30+ pins under your average and expect to cash.

I pretty much only used my Nexxus today. The Vivid just wasn't working for me. It was frustrating, but most of it was my fault, I couldn't hit my mark with that ball. Sometimes when I did, it just didn't do what I was expecting it to do, so I finally just put it up for the day. I left a lot of 10 pins as well. They just weren't falling for me today.

Overall, it was really fun though. It's fun to get out there with the big dogs and really see how good they are. I also think It well help me become better.

MICHAEL
05-26-2012, 10:22 PM
Jason take it from and OLD Dog, not to be confused with a TOP DOG. You throw a good looking ball, give it time! I talked to my ball, ( you know the one I found stuck in the side of a huge stone up toward Platte City,,,,,,, The one I named XCALABALL, and believe it or not, it said, NOTHING,,, future cloudy, try again later!?! I don't need a magic bowling ball to know that you can be, what ever you set your mind too!! Joyce and I enjoyed watching you.... see you Tuesday.... there are a few top dogs there also!! Good practice for you on your way up the ladder!

JaMau24
05-26-2012, 10:25 PM
Jason take it from and OLD Dog, not to be confused with a TOP DOG. You throw a good looking ball, give it time! I talked to my ball, ( you know the one I found stuck in the side of a huge stone up toward Platte City,,,,,,, The one I named XCALABALL, and believe it or not, it said, NOTHING,,, future cloudy, try again later!?! I don't need a magic bowling ball to know that you can be, what ever you set your mind too!! Joyce and I enjoyed watching you.... see you Tuesday.... there are a few top dogs there also!! Good practice for you on your way up the ladder!

Thanks. Appreciate it.

Also, I'm thinking we should learn how to make bowling balls and our first ball on the market will be called "XCALABALL" hahaha

billf
05-26-2012, 11:39 PM
Tourneys are a great way to gauge your progress. There are people I know and have done myself, that bowling the same people all the time either allows you to lower your level of play or inflate your ego. After all, how often can you beat the same people before thinking you are better than you truly are. So that's what I use the tournaments for, to see how others bowl, etc.
Yes I would like to place high but isn't usually my top priority. You came close to your average, which a lot of guys can't do, so at least you know your not just a bowler at your own house.

JaMau24
05-27-2012, 12:53 AM
Tourneys are a great way to gauge your progress. There are people I know and have done myself, that bowling the same people all the time either allows you to lower your level of play or inflate your ego. After all, how often can you beat the same people before thinking you are better than you truly are. So that's what I use the tournaments for, to see how others bowl, etc.
Yes I would like to place high but isn't usually my top priority. You came close to your average, which a lot of guys can't do, so at least you know your not just a bowler at your own house.

Very good point Bill.

Also, I forgot to mention, and should mention, that I improved from my first tourney in March, to this tourney. The first one I ever bowled in (since youth leagues 6-7 years ago), in March, I ended up with a 192 average. This one a 197. So I fully expect to improve into my next tourney as well. I know I'll get to where I want to be one day. Just gonna take practice and experience.

striker12
05-28-2012, 05:08 PM
i can say oen thing you need better then i did well way better then me when i was at my junior bowling prov in the singles event only threw a 120-120-115 went -80

J Anderson
05-28-2012, 10:59 PM
I bowled in a 8 game sweeper tourney today. It was fun, but really, I had no shot at winning. I have no idea why the handicap was set at 80% of 200. There were SEVERAL "high rollers" there that averaged 220, 230, and maybe a couple 240 (On a typical house shot pattern). We even bowled on a typical house shot pattern, which is extremely easy for those guys. Handicap should have been set at 80% of 220 in my opinion, to at least give someone like me a shot (207 average). It was kinda ridiculous to know that me, and all of those unreal bowlers all have the same handicap which was ZERO.

The handicap basis should be slightly higher than the highest entering average. setting it 40 less with 80% handicap virtually guaranties victory to one of the top five.