PDA

View Full Version : Different types of Oil Pattern

eugene02
05-27-2012, 05:55 AM
Anyone care to post photos of different oiling pattern and how to tackle them so all of us will know how to get great scores :)

What i've found is only from this website..

http://www.pba.com/OilPatterns/

nothing else.. can't find oiling pattern like christmas tree all this..

bowl1820
05-27-2012, 08:47 AM
The christmas tree is one of four base oil patterns, Flat oil-Block-Reverse block-christmas tree.

Flat oil is where oil is spread evenly across the lane gutter to gutter.
Doesn't really give a advantage to any one style/line, tends to break down into a reverse block situation over time.

A Block is where there is more oil in the middle (usually from 10 to 10) and less on the outside (10 out) of the lane. The Wall and Top hat are nicknames for a block. Good pattern for hook players, because you can throw across the oil and bounce it off the dry outside (the Wall).

A Reverse block is just that, the opposite or reverse of the Block.
On this one you have to play in the middle more, with a break point closer to the pocket, the outside is a Out of bounds due to the heavier amount of oil.

The Christmas tree is where the oil is layed down like a triangle pointing at the head pin.
In the simplest terms, you can play basically any where on a christmas Tree. Because it basically will guide the ball to the pocket. Used a lot for house shots, easy to put down with todays machines.

Most oil patterns are variations of these base patterns.

Look here at the Kegel Pattern Library, this has just about every pattern used today.
http://www.kegel.net/patternlibrary/default.asp

Also look here for more info
http://www.bowlingball.com/BowlVersity/bowling-on-a-christmas-tree-pattern

MICHAEL
05-27-2012, 11:43 AM
question: When did they first come up with the idea of different oil patterns??? When did they first start using oil as we know it today,,??

MICHAEL
05-27-2012, 06:36 PM
Does the Asian and European countries use different oil pattersn then the USA? If they do, WHY? Wouldn't it be great for the sport if all nations used the same
oil treatments and selections.. Would make a even playing field for all involved? (( I say this, because I think I heard that the Asian countries use different oil pattern))??

bowl1820
05-27-2012, 07:00 PM
Does the Asian and European countries use different oil pattersn then the USA? If they do, WHY? Wouldn't it be great for the sport if all nations used the same
oil treatments and selections.. Would make a even playing field for all involved? (( I say this, because I think I heard that the Asian countries use different oil pattern))??

If you look at the Kegel pattern library you'll see that yes they have European and Asian patterns.

Example Patterns for the:
European Bowling Tour
European Tenpin Bowling Federation
Pan American Bowling Confederation
Asian Bowling Federation
World Tenpin Bowling Association

Asian and European countries also use the same patterns we use.

Having the same pattern every where wouldn't make it a even playing field. The same pattern wont play the same from one end of the house to the other, let alone from house to house or country to country.

Might read this:
Topography: What does it all mean? (http://www.kegel.net/library/foArticles.asp?iKodYazi=51)

billf
05-27-2012, 07:09 PM
The higher heat and humidity in the Asian countries prohibit consistent use of "house patterns" found in the North American countries. The heavier, longer, wider oil patterns used in Asia are why the "helicopter" and "spinner" styles are so popular over there compared to here.
Oil is the invisible equalizer. The unseen opponent in our sport. Oil is, well, oil is......my friend.

MICHAEL
05-27-2012, 07:39 PM
Great INFO!!! Thanks for taking the time... I am learning!!! Got to get ready for the Duke!! (:), in my dreams lol

kev3inp
05-28-2012, 01:01 PM
It's kind of funny how patterns have evolved. In the "olden days" oil was only really used as a protectant for the wood surfaces of the lanes. Often it was applied with a bug sprayer and a mop. Newer surfaces really don't need it as protection, but it's become so much a part of the game, and the technological race to create ball coverstocks to defeat it, that we'll never leave it behind. I'm certain there is research still going on into the "oilless lane" concept and to the "self-oiling" lane.

MICHAEL
05-28-2012, 03:26 PM
Very,,,VERY interesting!!! Thanks for the information about WHY oil was added in the early days! That is a very interesting bit of history!!