PDA

View Full Version : 7 10 split question

MICHAEL
05-27-2012, 11:37 AM
I have been bowling now a lttle over two years, and once in a DARK blue moon have I gotten a 7 10 split! With my new virtual gravity ball, I have been getting what looks like GREAT shoots in the pocket 10 pin leaves. I also had for the first time in my life a 7 10 split two times in a role!! The ball looks sweet going into the pocket? Is that strange two consecutive 7/10 splits!! With my Undefeated this has never happened. 7/10 Could it be my style, (or lack of it) is more conducive to one ball over another on a particular oil house pattern? Believe me when I say it looks great going into the pocket, but many 10 pin leaves,,,, and then I had the 7/10 twice last week! Just looking at the angle going into the pocket, I would swear it was right on!! Can it be speed of ball, or lack of speed?
If I get this figured out with the new nano virtual gravity ball.... wow... I will be a bowling immortal,,, There can be only ONE!!! (:) (Jason)

billf
05-27-2012, 12:44 PM
Michael, try changing your line. Pick a side and move your feet and target the same direction (2 boards with feet, 1 at target). The entry angle of 4-6 degrees is hard to see the difference if you're at 3.78 degrees or 6.75 degrees. This scenario and wanting to be different is how I learned to play from the 1-5 board.

During one night of league, first game I left the 7-10. I changed balls, releases, styles and moved 30 boards left for the next shot. Left the 7-10 again, back to back frames. Sometimes pooh just happens big bear.

eugene02
05-27-2012, 01:02 PM
what i think of a 7 - 10 split is that i've to go to the 10th pin.. (right hander) and rush it down to the gutter and lets the ball bounce back and hit the right side of the 10 pin and slide it across to the 7th pin.. but.. it nvr happened to me before.. just a assumption..

billf
05-27-2012, 01:06 PM
what i think of a 7 - 10 split is that i've to go to the 10th pin.. (right hander) and rush it down to the gutter and lets the ball bounce back and hit the right side of the 10 pin and slide it across to the 7th pin.. but.. it nvr happened to me before.. just a assumption..

Michael was referring to why it was left in the first place not how to pick it up. BTW, hitting the 7 off two walls into the 10 is the only way I can pick it up and then not often enough.

eugene02
05-27-2012, 02:19 PM
Michael was referring to why it was left in the first place not how to pick it up. BTW, hitting the 7 off two walls into the 10 is the only way I can pick it up and then not often enough.

was just sharing my thoughts though.. so yea...

MICHAEL
05-27-2012, 04:19 PM
Not to worry eugene02... what ever it is your trying to tell me, I don't understand! But you are in my thoughts, and still in the running for the ball of your dreams, IF I WIN the POT in my summer league,,, 1 in 8 chance.... but stranger things do happen!!! I will be posting our scores, after we bowl Tuesday night. pray for me my friend!!

bowl1820
05-27-2012, 04:54 PM
In regards to a pocket 7-10, this is a fair explanation I had found one time. Which what most call a light pocket hit, the ball coming in behind the head pin too much.

As per my knowledge of the 7-10 split for reading articles and video analysis, it is almost always caused by the angle of entry being sharp, and the entry point being late.

The ball enters the pocket next to the headpin, rather than into it, causing it to go to the sidewall, rather than into the 2 pin powerfully.

This causes the 2 to go back toward the 8, and it will usually tap the 4 out on its way, but not strongly enough or with the angle required to pop the 7.

On the other side, the ball will initially travel high due to its angle being sharper than normal. the 3 pin will tap the 6 pin, and the 6 will generally wrap the 10, but with too much angle to kick it out. The ball will cover the 5 and 9 pin.

Plus this from Mo Pinel

Pocket 7-10s result from the ball reaching the second transition too late! Three answers possible:
1) Missing into the oil too often.
2) Lined up too deep.
3) Not enough surface for that day.

Remedies:
1) Feed the ball to the friction better.
2) Move your feet.
3) Use enough surface when required.

Also 7-10s HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE 15 vs 16# BALLS!

MICHAEL
05-27-2012, 06:29 PM
The new ball I had drilled very similar to the Undefeated, works like the undefeated only more revs for some reason!! It Orange Mint smell is only over shadowed by its beautiful dive into the pocket. Something I was not getting with a ball I will not mention! It looks great going down with more revs's then the undefeated for some reason, and it shoots into the pocket like a hand going into a glove!! MY ONLY problem is several 10 pins.... I will work it out with the help of all you, (Bill, and bowl1820)! I know its going to be one heck of a ball. I still wonder if the ball I had the problems with was cover stock related???? I really wanted it to work like Jason's. (well not just like jason's, I could never get the rev's he gets)!! But I know now its not just about how many rev's you can get, its about good speed, where to stand, and hit your mark, follow through!! All this I have
picked up here... thanks to all of YOU!! Humble MICHAEL!!

billf
05-27-2012, 07:20 PM
Some balls go into the rolls sooner and rev up quicker/easier than others. It's not your imagination. As you have learned, speed control and rev control are more important than pure speed and/or pure revs.
As you continue your historical research into our sport (which I love that you bother to do) you will notice that there are few pure crankers consistently in the top ten. By a pure cranker I mean crankers who have issues controlling their speed and revs. Most of the top players always have been tweeners or strokers. The two best of all time, Earl Anthony and Walter Ray Williams Jr, both pure strokers. Unfortunately results don't create imitators quite like flash does anymore so all the youngsters want to throw the huge, sweeping, out of control, lucky strike getting hook.
Wow I got way off track. Anyway, you create sufficient revs for how you bowl so don't get too caught up with that.

MICHAEL
05-27-2012, 07:54 PM
thanks Bill! I do love the sport!! I want to know eveything I can get my hands on! The internet is a great place to find so much fun history related to MY favorite Sport Now,
Bowling!! Believe me I have been in my day, involved with many, including College Football, and Track, Tennis, Golf,,, None bring me the thrill of watching them pins fly on a perfect pocket strike! I know I might be asking some pretty simple stuff, but its the fundamentals, it seems to me, not just the equipment that most are lacking in! Its a highly skilled sport, when you have it ALL TOGERTHER! I just hope I am not to old, or RA dosen't come back, before I reach my goals!! Thanks ..

J Anderson
05-29-2012, 10:03 PM
Michael,
I too have a Virtual Gravity Nano. Actually I have two, one for the right and one for the left. In my experience, at least right handed, this is a very responsive ( I really want to say twitchy ) ball. I have had times where I've thrown two of what I thought were identical shots and have had very different reactions. I can't prove it since I don't have any video of me throwing this ball, but it seems like slight variations in rev rate and/or release position, can send this ball all over the lane ( well at least from one side of the headpin to the other ).

Looking at the other replies it seems like your ball is coming in too sharp, too late. You may need to stand further in and send the ball farther right.

Hope this helps you keep beating those young whippersnappers.

MICHAEL
05-30-2012, 08:31 AM
Michael,
I too have a Virtual Gravity Nano. Actually I have two, one for the right and one for the left. In my experience, at least right handed, this is a very responsive ( I really want to say twitchy ) ball. I have had times where I've thrown two of what I thought were identical shots and have had very different reactions. I can't prove it since I don't have any video of me throwing this ball, but it seems like slight variations in rev rate and/or release position, can send this ball all over the lane ( well at least from one side of the headpin to the other ).

Looking at the other replies it seems like your ball is coming in too sharp, too late. You may need to stand further in and send the ball farther right.

Hope this helps you keep beating those young whippersnappers.

You might have something there!! I started out with it yesterday league play. In warm ups throw 4 strikes in a role, right out of the bag. Then league started and the whole first game was loaded up with I think 5, 10 pin leaves (the 10 pin)! Same the second game, so I pulled out the Undefeated, and No ten pin leaves.
Its funny the ball (Virtual nano) looks so SWEET going into the pocket! but way to many ten pin leaves. I will explore other methods of delivery with the Nano, because I know its one heck of a ball. And Its always in the pocket!! Besides I have fallen in love with that wonderful Orange-mint aroma!! It usually pleasing odor puts a smile on my face, EVEN with the 10 pin leave~~~