PDA

View Full Version : Me Bowling - Video

JaMau24
05-27-2012, 04:14 PM
Alright, I tried to have a long video showing a lot of my shots from yesterdays tourney, but It just wasn't working. So you'll just have to live with 3 shots lol. At least you'll get an idea how I bowl now. Before you ask, YES I use my thumb, it just doesn't look like I do. I get that question a lot, and now I know why -- It doesn't look like I do.

(MICHAEL with the call! Broadcasting in his future? ;))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbPJjB-vqH8

MICHAEL
05-27-2012, 05:01 PM
I can't get anything ?? You might do what I did and open up a U-tube account free, and down load them there its easy and you can do many files at the same time!
Then just put the thread on line here and they can go to U-tube to see it. I have almost a dozen on there of me bowling in the amf... this one is not working on my end! sorry.

MICHAEL
05-27-2012, 05:03 PM
Ok I see what happened. You checked the box for PRIVITE! You need to clear that off! All we see on our end is a black screen!!

JaMau24
05-27-2012, 07:36 PM
Ya, I'm sorry. I think I've got it fixed now. Let me know

billf
05-27-2012, 07:41 PM
working now

JaMau24
05-27-2012, 07:55 PM
working now

Thanks.

Also, I now know my speed. Which appears to be about 20-21 MPH.

MICHAEL
05-27-2012, 08:08 PM
Working GREAT Jason!!! Great Form!!! Keep it up, YOU are going to be a TOP GUN!!! Just remember where you came from when you make the Big Time!!! Remember your friends, Bill, and Old Mike!!(:) from BowlingBoard.com!!! ,, You might need a good Ball polisher,,, I should have one in the near future!!! Start thinking of a GOOD Stage name...
I like what Norman Duke came up with...: Norm Duke~~ sounds great~~ right??? How about Jason Earl!! ((( norman a Duke, you would be and Earl))) noble name!??

Etrain
05-27-2012, 10:08 PM
good bowling bump for a fellow no thumb bowler

JaMau24
05-27-2012, 10:46 PM

hah, thanks.. but I do use my thumb. Didn't you read what I put lol ;), "Before you ask, YES I use my thumb, it just doesn't look like I do. I get that question a lot, and now I know why -- It doesn't look like I do."

billf
05-27-2012, 11:13 PM

Jason uses his thumb. His good cup and quick release allow it to appear as though he doesn't.

MICHAEL
05-27-2012, 11:54 PM
Bill,,,,,, Jason could use your coaching! He wants to beat me next Friday on the big money game~~ Can you think of anything as far a bowling mechanics he could improve on, or do differently. I don't know squat, but if I had the knowledge I would help him. Jason is GOOD right now in regards to scores. I know he wants to move to the next level,
can you help him master!!! I read your posts, and you know the sport VERY WELL!! I will have to look our scores up, and see what our play off averages are.... hummmm

I would say I could use your help, but I have so many physical problems, broken back, neck several years ago, RA,, Old stiff age, that when I bowl, I am lucky to get the ball down the alley!! (:)... There are some things I can do, and like the bowler we mentioned that has his own style, and has the 230 average,,, I by no means bowl as well as him, but I have my moments!!! And I am working on all the physical problems at the gym! Thanks again for your thoughts, and help! You are a TRUE BOWLING WARRIOR!!!

JaMau24
05-28-2012, 12:35 AM
Here is the story of my day at the tournament

(Sorry, ignore the water-mark in the middle of the video if you can, I don't have a good editing program and I don't want to pay for one)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hitkkzWvHwE&feature=youtu.be

I had some bad shots in the tourney, but when I put it in there, it seemed like half the time they just weren't falling. That isn't even all of the balls I threw that day that I left a pocket 9 count. Some days that just happens. I had 14 pocket shot 9 counts in 8 games compared to just 43 strikes.

Also, good time to ask -- Bill, what do you use to edit your videos?

billf
05-28-2012, 12:49 AM
AVS4you video remaker

billf
05-28-2012, 12:53 AM
A standing 9 pin is the result of the ball not properly deflecting from the 5 pin. The ball is driving too strong through the pocket rather than into the pocket. The ball is suppose to only hit the 1,3,5 & 9 pins (righties). So don't just watch that it hits the pocket but what the ball does AFTER it hits the pocket can be just as telling. A ball hitting that strong of an angle a small 2 & 1 adjustment or even a 1 & 1/2 adjustment may cure it.

billf
05-28-2012, 12:58 AM
Just to beat Michael (or any stroker who plays a consistent speed to my right) I would burn up his break point area. Adjust your axis rotation only and move right so you can let your rev rate and speed leave skid marks where Michael wants his ball to break. Before long he will be hitting everything brooklyn and unless he can adjust quickly, you win. I beat a guy last year who averaged 40 pins higher than me 6 times last year that way. He plays one speed, one rev rate, one line so I just took his line away. He tried moving left but I just kept moving and adjusting my rotation to still crush the pocket and burn up his area.

JaMau24
05-28-2012, 01:00 AM
A standing 9 pin is the result of the ball not properly deflecting from the 5 pin. The ball is driving too strong through the pocket rather than into the pocket. The ball is suppose to only hit the 1,3,5 & 9 pins (righties). So don't just watch that it hits the pocket but what the ball does AFTER it hits the pocket can be just as telling. A ball hitting that strong of an angle a small 2 & 1 adjustment or even a 1 & 1/2 adjustment may cure it.

Either me or you is confused. I don't mean the actual 9 pin was left standing, I just meant I left a pocket 9 count. Whether it be the 7, or 10. Maybe I just interpreted what you said wrong. I don't know lol..

Fortunately, I didn't leave any standing 9 pins. Although, I wouldn't have been surprised.

billf
05-28-2012, 01:06 AM
It was me, I read it wrong. I just watched the video and was wondering where that 9 pins were lol

billf
05-28-2012, 01:08 AM
Have you tried laying it down at 25 and leave the pattern at 15?

JaMau24
05-28-2012, 01:08 AM
It was me, I read it wrong. I just watched the video and was wondering where that 9 pins were lol

Hahah.. You're probably thinking, "wait a minute.. What is this guy talking about? Does he know what a 9 pin is!?!?"

billf
05-28-2012, 01:10 AM
I just thought you were so mad about them you edited them all out lol

eugene02
05-28-2012, 01:13 AM
wow.. i thought that jason wasn't using his thumb.. it does look like his not using his thumb though...

JaMau24
05-28-2012, 01:17 AM
Have you tried laying it down at 25 and leave the pattern at 15?

Ya, I don't think I tried that exactly, but I tried something similar, like laying it down at 22-23 and leaving the pattern at 12-13, and when I did, it went out too wide. 25 and 15 sounds good in theory though, should have given it a shot.

I just thought you were so mad about them you edited them all out lol

lol! "Screw those 9 pins, they will not be getting any fame in this video!"

Etrain
05-28-2012, 06:08 AM
pretty impressive that u have that much tuck on a 15lb ball , id have major wrist issues if i did that with 3 fingers. Do u bowl with your thumb partially in or all the way in?

The Mayor
05-28-2012, 08:12 AM
Wow, Tom Smallwood Jr.! Very nice!

PS. You weren't carrying because you didn't have enough angle into the headpin. I believe you were using a little bit too strong of a ball (Looks like a Nexxus maybe?) and it was flattening out at the pins. Something a bit weaker would have helped you carry.

MICHAEL
05-28-2012, 10:41 AM

PS. You weren't carrying because you didn't have enough angle into the headpin. I believe you were using a little bit too strong of a ball (Looks like a Nexxus maybe?) and it was flattening out at the pins. Something a bit weaker would have helped you carry.

Wow LOTS of help from this Board!! You have ability Jason, and now maybe with the help of BowlingBoard.com and all its great information and knowledge. You will move to the next level (grasshopper).... !! (kungfu tv series way back in the old days)! The Mayor mention too strong of a ball for your style,,, could that be part of the problem sometimes. I think, (but I could be wrong,) the Nexxus and Vivid are both strong balls,,, could it be you need another weapon added to your arsenal? If that is the case what would all you knowledgeable bowlers recommend for Jasons style of bowling??

JaMau24
05-28-2012, 01:13 PM
pretty impressive that u have that much tuck on a 15lb ball , id have major wrist issues if i did that with 3 fingers. Do u bowl with your thumb partially in or all the way in?

I put it mostly all the way in. Not 100% in though. My wrist use to bother me a little (along with my elbow and shoulder) when I started bowling again in December. Since then though, it gives me no troubles at all. I've bowled 23 games the last 3 days and I'm feeling good today, and have 4 more tomorrow.

JaMau24
05-28-2012, 01:25 PM

Thanks Mayor...

Ya, it was the Nexxus. Honestly, I want a different ball. The Vivid and Nexxus are both amazing, but they are kind of similar in a sense, being that they are both so aggressive. I kind of want a Frantic. I'm thinking that would be a little more weak, thoughts?. Also, thinking about taking my Vivid to 4,000 grit, that way I'll have more length.

That was pretty much the mark I played all day. I was getting strikes there too, but still, I should have probably moved at least another 2 boards to my right to help get those into the pocket more.

You can see in this video, that mark was working a little, but obviously not enough because of all the 10 pins and 7 pins I left that day (demonstrated in the other video).

(Some of the strikes from the tourney)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4L-zO9wQmU&feature=youtu.be

billf
05-28-2012, 03:51 PM
The irony of the video....Look at the advertisement above the lane. Now go look in the mirror. Heed what you read young Jason. Don't spend all your money on bowling, you are allowed to eat once in a while too.

billf
05-28-2012, 03:52 PM
Just joking around...my waist is jealous

JaMau24
05-28-2012, 05:26 PM
The irony of the video....Look at the advertisement above the lane. Now go look in the mirror. Heed what you read young Jason. Don't spend all your money on bowling, you are allowed to eat once in a while too.

Just joking around...my waist is jealous

Hahah, I was waiting for that...

I'm one of those, "eat everything I can and want and still don't gain weight" type of people. I hate it, I want to put weight on. However, people tell me, be glad you have that problem now, because in 5-10 years, you'll notice everything you eat will start showing up very fast!

billf
05-28-2012, 06:40 PM
There's a guy I work with that is that way. He eats crap all day long and really struggles to put on weight. He is 22. Then I eat real lean and clean but just look at a slice of pizza and put on weight. Part of it is probably my own fault; I didn't eat any junk until I left the service. My welcome home party was where I had my first piece of cake, soda, ice cream, cookies, etc so I never really built up any tolerance for my metabolism to digest that stuff.
This past Friday we went for pizza at lunch (buffet). Two slices and I was stuffed and bloated. Brad had nine slices of pizza plus soda and breadsticks. Then two hours later he had a hot pocket.

striker12
05-28-2012, 07:03 PM
thats like me a lnog time ago jamau i use to never gain wait when i was in grade 4-8 but when i hit grade 9 and started working out gaining alot of musle faster then i should of then i started gaining wait but not till i was in grade 11 i use to have a 6 pack and now its gone just starting to get it back but its going to take awhile i need to go and buy a weight room set cause i cant go out side cause of the heat and my breathing

JaMau24
05-28-2012, 08:14 PM
Ya, I really need to start hitting the gym up. It's one of those deals where I keep planning on it, but never do. I will one of these days (hopefully soon). Usually I start working out a lot for a month or so, but then I just stop. I need to stay with it.

Makes me wonder, if I throw the ball at 20-21 MPH now, how fast could I throw if I got some muscle mass lol.

J Anderson
05-28-2012, 10:39 PM
Ya, I really need to start hitting the gym up. It's one of those deals where I keep planning on it, but never do. I will one of these days (hopefully soon). Usually I start working out a lot for a month or so, but then I just stop. I need to stay with it.

Makes me wonder, if I throw the ball at 20-21 MPH now, how fast could I throw if I got some muscle mass lol.

Some pros ( I think Osku Paalerma for one) have been clocked around 30 mph on spares. Generally they don't throw any faster than you for strikes. Too fast and the ball never has a chance to react to the lane.

billf
05-28-2012, 10:43 PM
Plus a true FREE ARM SWING is determined more by arm length and ball weight, not muscle.

John, hope you had a great weekend. I've missed seeing your posts earlier today.

JaMau24
05-28-2012, 11:24 PM
Some pros ( I think Osku Paalerma for one) have been clocked around 30 mph on spares. Generally they don't throw any faster than you for strikes. Too fast and the ball never has a chance to react to the lane.

Ya, Osku can launch that ball..

Here is a video from the tourney on Saturday of me ALMOST picking up the Greek Church (4,6,7,9,10)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGCNygEaWRw&feature=youtu.be

The spare shot was at about 25 MPH

That was the closest I've ever come to picking that up. That was a heart breaker too. I had X X 7/ X X X X going into that 8th frame..

MICHAEL
05-29-2012, 09:50 AM
Just to beat Michael (or any stroker who plays a consistent speed to my right) I would burn up his break point area. Adjust your axis rotation only and move right so you can let your rev rate and speed leave skid marks where Michael wants his ball to break. Before long he will be hitting everything brooklyn and unless he can adjust quickly, you win. I beat a guy last year who averaged 40 pins higher than me 6 times last year that way. He plays one speed, one rev rate, one line so I just took his line away. He tried moving left but I just kept moving and adjusting my rotation to still crush the pocket and burn up his area.

Jason, thats a cheap shot!!! I fear Bill is trying to teach you underhanded methods of beating me! Their is a more honorable way to beat me, without destroying my oil!! Just bowl a good game when the chips are all on the table.... You don't mess with my oil..... and I won't mess with yours.. !!

eugene02
05-29-2012, 11:29 AM
Jason, thats a cheap shot!!! I fear Bill is trying to teach you underhanded methods of beating me! Their is a more honorable way to beat me, without destroying my oil!! Just bowl a good game when the chips are all on the table.... You don't mess with my oil..... and I won't mess with yours.. !!

that is just one of the many easier tactics to use I guess.. but.. definitely a plus point if you can catch the opponent's mark.. sure he'll fail badly unless he can adapt to it asap..

striker12
05-29-2012, 12:52 PM
dame you almost got the greek church i have only ever made it 2 time 1 was me bowling normal spare at it and got the 4 from a pin bounceing out of the back and getting it and the other was with a 6lb ball throwing it down soo slow but making it rev alot made it go right across the lane and get the 4-7

Etrain
05-29-2012, 06:20 PM
close with the greek church..... does your alley show mph? i tend to crank the ball but cant come close to 18mph and have control... the fastest with control is high 15's low 16's. I notice u use alot of waist/body movement unlike me where i rely on my arm. I did try the half thumb release and it worked suprisingly well! im going to work on it on regular lane conditions and see how i do. The lanes were dryer then the sahara last time i practised . Keep up the good work bowling

JaMau24
05-29-2012, 08:55 PM
close with the greek church..... does your alley show mph? i tend to crank the ball but cant come close to 18mph and have control... the fastest with control is high 15's low 16's. I notice u use alot of waist/body movement unlike me where i rely on my arm. I did try the half thumb release and it worked suprisingly well! im going to work on it on regular lane conditions and see how i do. The lanes were dryer then the sahara last time i practised . Keep up the good work bowling

Unfortunately, No, the alley doesn't show MPH. I use a stop watch to time how long it takes from the ball to leave my hand to hit the pins and use a bowling MPH chart that tells you how fast it is..

http://www.innovativebowling.com/pro%20shop%20info/Ball_Speed_Chart.gif

Also, good luck on the release and trying to figure it out. I certainly would never teach someone to bowl the way I do because it isn't considered the "correct" way, but it's just what I've been doing my whole life and what I'm comfortable with. So if you can get it working too, awesome. Hope you shoot well.

billf
05-29-2012, 11:08 PM
Also, good luck on the release and trying to figure it out. I certainly would never teach someone to bowl the way I do because it isn't considered the "correct" way, but it's just what I've been doing my whole life and what I'm comfortable with. So if you can get it working too, awesome. Hope you shoot well.

Once again, see the first rule of bowling technique; 1. there are no set in stone rules, only general guidelines. Give something a try, if it works use it, if it doesn't discard it.

eugene02
05-30-2012, 10:33 AM
gonna film myself bowling this coming week.. hope to get you guys to see it soon!

JaMau24
05-30-2012, 02:40 PM
gonna film myself bowling this coming week.. hope to get you guys to see it soon!

Awesome. Looking forward to it.

eugene02
05-30-2012, 11:34 PM
Awesome. Looking forward to it.

yea.. was learning from my friend how to set up my DSLR to the correct settings to get on a tripod and start filming..