PDA

View Full Version : Video of me bowling. Any tips?

MinnesotaBowler
05-27-2012, 08:01 PM
Here are a few clips I got today at bowling. Any tips would be appreciated. Also, sorry the camera is zoomed in way too much on some of the clips.. I didn't really judge the distance very well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGZTdC6QUi8&feature=plcp

billf
05-27-2012, 11:33 PM
Not too bad just a couple of things:cool:
1. What is up with your steps? I mean I understand a crossover step but it appears that you crossover with every step. Unusual but is it on purpose?
2. Balance arm use. To increase tilt and ball movement try this; once the balance hand leaves the ball point it at the target, thumb down. When you bring the balance arm to your side rotate the arm at the shoulder so the palm faces up. This is harder than it sounds to change but has made a huge difference in my game.

Overall, given the camera angles and distance (or lack of) your form looked pretty good. Without a side view it's hard to determine how much knee continuation you have, release point and knee bend accurately but they appear alright at these angles.

MinnesotaBowler
05-28-2012, 10:08 AM
Thank you for watching and for the tips! I guess I never really noticed the weird steps that I took... it sorta just came naturally:p. I'll have to work on that next time along with the balance arm. I'll try to post another update video as soon as I can.

bowl1820
05-28-2012, 11:06 AM
2. Balance arm use. To increase tilt and ball movement try this; once the balance hand leaves the ball point it at the target, thumb down. When you bring the balance arm to your side rotate the arm at the shoulder so the palm faces up. This is harder than it sounds to change but has made a huge difference in my game.

Sorry Bill I don't quite follow this part, "When you bring the balance arm to your side rotate the arm at the shoulder so the palm faces up." Faces up? With the thumb pointing down you'd have to rotate the hand the wrong way to point it up. The palm should point behind you, so it locks your shoulders.

Is this what your going for

"Heres a trick from Kegel to help you keep from pulling shot's.

One of the best ways is to keep the trailing arm back, but even with your shoulders.

To do this have the thumb of your non bowling hand turned down and slightly pointed toward the approach behind you.

This will help lock your arm and keep your shoulder from rotating and help keep your balance in check.

When you watch the pro's keep a eye out for them doing this."

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w89/aloarjr810/bowlingxtras/thumb_pos.jpg

striker12
05-28-2012, 12:10 PM
one thing i can say is your balance is good right from then your release the ball to try when it hits the pins and i see the same thing as bill did your crossover step but mostly everything else is good better then mine anyways im off balanced for abit cause of my ankle untill its better.

but bowl1820 has a good defation i should try this and see if i dont pull the ball cause i pull the ball like 6-8 times a night of bowling but 1 pro bowler that i see pull the ball a quite abit on tv is sean rash hes a good bowling but he pulls it once and awhile not always but sometimes but manly on tv

billf
05-28-2012, 07:05 PM
Most people couldn't rotate their palm all the way up but rather when they try it would be closer to where Norm Duke's is in your photo. The photo shows it with more rotation than just facing rearward.

bowl1820
05-28-2012, 07:53 PM
Most people couldn't rotate their palm all the way up but rather when they try it would be closer to where Norm Duke's is in your photo. The photo shows it with more rotation than just facing rearward.

While the photo may show the hand with more rotation than just rearward. And yes you can rotate it till it points up. And if you have a natural tendency to rotate that much that,s fine.

It's just that You don't need to point palm straight up. As long as the palm is rotated enough so the thumb is pointing toward the approach behind, you that,s enough to lock the shoulders in a more open position.

But what I was trying to get at is, I thought how it was worded wasn't as clear as it could have been.

It was the part about rotating the arm, I just felt someone could read that and think " okay then just turn the palm up any old way." and not realize you have to rotate the thumb downward and behind them.

billf
05-28-2012, 11:07 PM
Ok, i think we are on the same page. I was sitting here reading your last post rotating my arm. Started laughing when my thumb pointed to the rear AND the palm was facing more up than anything. But I get what you're saying. Seems the interpretation of the wording was the issue, my apologies.