PDA

View Full Version : Dress Code for PRO"S

MICHAEL
05-28-2012, 12:15 AM
Do they have a dress code for TV appearanceses? In tournaments, working up to the title game, can you wear shorts ect... I don't think I have ever
seen a pro wear shorts? Same with Men's golf! Can they wear tank tops ect... are their rules at that level?

billf
05-28-2012, 01:13 AM
Yes there are rules and dress codes for every tournament. Getting the official PBA rule 13 and 14 loaded for you.

billf
05-28-2012, 01:20 AM
RULE 13 - APPEARANCE GUIDELINES
13.1 General. All members must maintain a professional appearance in both clothing and personal
grooming while in the tournament host center. The Tournament Director will interpret this regulation,
subject to the approval of the Commissioner.
13.1.1 PBA Tour. When competing on the PBA Tour, a professional image should be
maintained at all times, subject to the discretion of the Tournament Director.
PENALTY: $100
13.1.2 PBA Senior Tour, PBA Regional Tour and PBA Senior Regional Tour. The
competitive attire and logo guidelines only apply while competing, however a professional image should
be maintained at all times, subject to the discretion of the Tournament Director.
PENALTY: $50
13.2 Media Photographs and Interviews. Any competitor being photographed or interviewed for
television in conjunction with a PBA tournament, whether before or after the event, must meet all
competitive attire guidelines.
PENALTY: $100 (PBA Tour)
$50 (PBA Senior and Regional Tour)
13.3 Attire While Practicing in the Host Center. Any member who practices in a host center must
dress according to competitive attire guidelines.
$50 (PBA Senior and Regional Tour)
13.4 Formal Sponsor Functions. The Tournament Director shall determine the necessity of formal
attire for any corporate functions.
$ 50 (PBA Senior and Regional Tour)
13.5 Competitive Attire Guidelines. The following rules dictate apparel guidelines for competing in
PBA tournaments. The Tournament Director must approve all questionable apparel before it is worn
during a tournament.
13.5.1 Pants. Dress pants must be worn in competition and the length must extend to the top of
the shoe. Denim type jeans, drawstring or parachute pants may NOT be worn during competition.
13.5.2 Skirts. Skirts may be worn in competition by female competitors. If a competitor's fingers
are below the hemline (with arms hanging naturally), the skirt is considered too short and not suitable.
13.5.3 Shorts. Shorts may NOT be worn during competition. OFFICIAL MEMBERSHIP GUIDE & RULEBOOK – November 4, 2011
13.5.4 T-Shirts. T-Shirts may NOT be worn during competition but mock turtle necks will be
permitted.
13.5.5 Earrings. Earrings are permitted as long as they are in good taste.
13.5.6 Items Protruding From Clothing. Items that hang or protrude from apparel may NOT be
worn during competition.
13.5.7 Headwear. Hats, scarves, bandannas or non-elastic sweatbands may NOT be worn
during competition.
NOTE: Elastic sweatbands may be worn in PBA competition. They must be clean, in good
condition, free of manufacturer's logo and are subject to the approval of the presiding
Tournament Director.
13.5.8 Belts. If a shirt is tucked into pants with belt loops, a belt must be worn.
13.5.9 Shirts. Sleeveless shirts or blouses may NOT be worn during any phase of tournament
competition.
13.5.10 Standard Lettering on Shirts. During all portions of any PBA tournament, competitors
must wear their last name (first names are optional) in permanently attached, color-contrasting letters at
least two inches (2") high in the center back area of the shirt. Airbrush names and designs are not
permitted.
13.5.11 Competitors with Long Names. Competitors with names longer than seven (7) letters
may use letters less than two inches (2") in height, provided the name is visible from a reasonable
spectator distance and approval is given by the Tournament Director.
13.5.12 Script Lettering on Shirts. Letters written in script may be less than two inches (2") in
height, provided the name is legible, is visible from a reasonable spectator distance and approval is given
by the Tournament Director.
13.5.13 TV Finalists Shirt Color and Style. The PBA Television Production Coordinator will
have final approval over television finalists' shirt color and style.
13.6 PBA Tour Uniform. The PBA reserves the right to introduce a uniform shirt and jacket for PBA
Tour exempt professionals.
13.6.1 Player Responsibilities. Official PBA shirts and/or jackets must be worn by exempt
professionals while competing in Pro-Ams, special events and media appearances or as otherwise
directed by PBA management.
13.6.2 Gemini Jersey Program. Exempt men and women shall be issued an allotment of
official Gemini Jerseys. These jerseys must be worn during all assigned pro-am squads, televised events
and other special events as required by the PBA. Guidelines for the placement of logos for the Gemini
Jersey Program are contained in Rule 14.6.1.
PENALTY: $500 (PBA Tour) OFFICIAL MEMBERSHIP GUIDE & RULEBOOK – November 4, 2011
13.6.3 Discretionary Apparel. Other apparel items may be worn at the discretion of the player
subject to appearance guideline rules and final approval by the PBA. Apparel falling into this category
includes headgear such as hats or caps, pants and footwear.
13.7 Prior Endorsement or Sponsorship Relationships. Players who have prior endorsement or
sponsorship arrangements regarding apparel must specify them in detail and the PBA will work with
sponsor companies to co-brand shirts in appropriate cases.
13.8 Violation of Appearance Guidelines. Unless otherwise specified, violations of the appearance
guidelines shall be as follows. Penalties for violations of appearance guidelines shall be assessed per
season.
PENALTY: 1
st
Offense - $100 (PBA Tour)
- $ 50 (PBA Senior and Regional Tour)
nd
Offense - $250 (PBA Tour)
- $100 (PBA Senior and Regional Tour)
13.9 Severe Violations of Appearance Guidelines. The presiding Tournament Director has the
authority to make decisions concerning severe violations of the dress code.

striker12
05-28-2012, 10:06 AM
holly crap billf got enoph stuff down i was trying to read it but i could only make it half way to 13.5.1 lol i think i read enoph for the day i dont thing i can read anymore lol.

MICHAEL
05-28-2012, 10:14 AM
Double Wow~~ Much more strict then most other sports, like baseball ,football, hockey, boxing, ect... maybe the only one that is close would be golf~ thanks for the information!!! One of my favorite threads so far!!

MICHAEL
05-28-2012, 10:17 AM
What about shades,,,wearing Sun Glasses while bowling? Pete Weber!! O,,, maybe he wears tinted safty glasses, to protect his eyes from flying wood chips!!! (:) LOL

kev3inp
05-28-2012, 12:29 PM
Eyewear has been traditionally left up to the discretion of the player. I would imagine the TD could stop any glasses, etc that he felt weren't in the best interest of the image of the PBA. Eric Forkel was also known for wearing sunglasses, and I'm certain there have been a few others.

got_a_300
05-28-2012, 06:20 PM
A couple of other rules that were done away with quite a few years ago was
with the wearing of facial hair and your hair length you could have a mustache
but you could not have a full beard and your hair could not be below your shirt
collar in any kind of PBA tournament regional / national which was kind of stupid
rules to have even back then.

Another player that used to wear shades / tinted glasses on TV quite often was
my man Guppy Troupe he also wore those wild looking pants with different color
and different patterns on the pants legs.

ursus
05-28-2012, 11:30 PM
I love how rule are at the discretion of the tourny director. It is one of those we will make it up as we go along type things.

americantrotter
05-29-2012, 09:02 AM
I was wondering if slacks were enforced. And they are. The funny thing is that maybe 1% of people bowl in slacks. So the pro image is radically different from it's demographic base. I wonder if that helps or hurts bowling?

eugene02
05-29-2012, 11:41 AM
pete weber wears the shade because he looks too empty without it.. thats what i think...

i2icustom
05-29-2012, 01:57 PM
holly crap billf got enoph stuff down i was trying to read it but i could only make it half way to 13.5.1 lol i think i read enoph for the day i dont thing i can read anymore lol.

SIMPLE- custom bowling shirt full button $63 from now until June 15 (extended) no hidden design costs
Need to look good? http://www.i2icustom.com/products/category/boling.php
Send me an e-mail with subject "Make me look like a pro for $63"
websales@i2isales.com
Choose from any element in our house designs or design yourself.

billf
05-29-2012, 04:14 PM
SIMPLE- custom bowling shirt full button $63 from now until June 15 (extended) no hidden design costs
Need to look good? http://www.i2icustom.com/products/category/boling.php
Send me an e-mail with subject "Make me look like a pro for $63"
websales@i2isales.com
Choose from any element in our house designs or design yourself.

Unless you want the new style wiki stay dry shirts then go to www.high5gear.com

ADMIN DO WE REALLY NEED ADVERTISING/SPAM IN THE MIDDLE OF THE THREADS?!

MICHAEL
05-30-2012, 10:51 AM
pete weber wears the shade because he looks too empty without it.. thats what i think...

When your as good as Pete weber, you can wear a clown suit with Elton John pink glasses!! I might not like his boastful, personality, but the man can bowl!!
One of the true older Kings of PRO Bowling! Has anyone ever ask him,, ( why the shades?)!? Is it because he is SUCH a Bright Star,,, that he needs them to protece his eyes??? Or,,, could it be as down right simple as this: He LOOKS COOL!! (:)

billf
05-30-2012, 12:38 PM
I heard the announcers say a long time ago that they new style lights they use for the TV shows were causing a glare for him. Given that, he probably has a stigmatism or another lens issue. When they show footage from qualifying he isn't wearing them. After my eye surgeries the doctors recommended that I wear sunglasses indoors also. So I just had them order my prescription with transition lenses.

MICHAEL
05-30-2012, 03:45 PM
that makes sense!! Pete has a Stigmata, and its on his eye lid!! LOL..... Glasses cover up the mark.. O,, you said stigmatism! (:)

Hampe
05-31-2012, 04:22 AM
Man, that is pretty strict though. I just started playing in a friday night league where you can't wear shorts or jeans, and even the black linen pants I bought for that league wouldn't be allowed in the PBA (they have drawstrings instead of belt loops).

MICHAEL
05-31-2012, 09:22 AM
I can agree with some dress codes in MOST alleys! Now if you want to have a privately owned alley, and have Monday night nude bowling! (must be 18 or older to participate), I understand that. But when I am at a AMF, alley with family, or friends I don't want to look to my right and see some guy bowing, with dangling-participles if you know what I mean lol (:)

ursus
05-31-2012, 12:12 PM
I can agree with some dress codes in MOST alleys! Now if you want to have a privately owned alley, and have Monday night nude bowling! (must be 18 or older to participate), I understand that. But when I am at a AMF, alley with family, or friends I don't want to look to my right and see some guy bowing, with dangling-participles if you know what I mean lol (:)

That just may certainly help with the TV ratings of the women's tour events

billf
05-31-2012, 12:15 PM
That just may certainly help with the TV ratings of the women's tour events

Depends on which ones made the TV show. I won't be rude enough to say which large, power cranking female I wouldn't want to see

Florida Bowler
05-31-2012, 02:00 PM
Thanks, Bill, for the visual.

billf
05-31-2012, 03:18 PM
Thanks, Bill, for the visual.

Anything to help out.
How about a finals with Shannon O'Keefe and Stephanie Nation?

Florida Bowler
05-31-2012, 03:40 PM
That's better.

got_a_300
05-31-2012, 05:55 PM
I always heard the reason PDW started wearing the shades was when they were bowling
outdoors on the Lumber Liquidators Tour like when they were bowling at 6 Flags the sun
was shining on the lanes making it hard to see his mark. When he put the shades on he
was able to see the lanes better and it just stuck with him when bowling indoors and out.

I have recently started wearing my shades when bowling at the center as the overhead
florescent lights are very bright and it makes it hard to see my mark especially with the
way my eyes are getting with old age. I have what the eye doctor called floaters in the
back of my eyes it is where the stuff in the back of your eye(s) breaks loose and then it
just gets in your line of sight making bright lights and things in the bright sun blurry.

When I'm wearing my shades it cuts down on the brightness in the center and also when
I'm out driving in the bright sun but at night or when a place is darker I have no problems.

billf
05-31-2012, 09:07 PM
My floaters are in the front and back of the eye. The ones in the front actually obstruct my vision at times. Doctor said I could have them for years. Of course my eye problems are due to trauma and not age......yet

Stormed1
06-05-2012, 04:35 PM
Rules also required that if your pants have belt loops a belt must be worn. Jeans are not allowed. When a PBA school years ago we were required to wear dress shirts and sport coats during class. The PBA was very concious of trying to change the perception of bowlers being the guy with his belly hanging out and a beer and cigar in his hands