PDA

View Full Version : Dead Man's curve tonight

billf
05-30-2012, 02:52 PM
43' in length with a fairly thick amount of oil from 10 to 10. We bowl four games. Thinking of seeing how the Hell Raiser Revenge (pin down) will react is I play from the 15 out to the ten. If it's too strong go to the revenge pin down then the Nexxus and then it's a hodge podge of choices for game four, either the Reckless, Misfit or plastic depending on how dry it gets.
Any suggestions? Any line those that have seen the videos would like me to try? I will crank some but not a lot. My elbow is killing me from softball, too old I guess.

JaMau24
05-30-2012, 03:10 PM
Hmm.. so the the heavy oil doesn't go out as far as a house shot, but there is a lot more of it from 1-39 up to about 10-12 feet. Interesting. It should have a lot of hook right? I usually stand at 20 (with the Nexxus, 23 with Vivid) and throw at board 11 on a THS. On this, I think I would try starting at 23 (with the Nexxus) and throw at 11 still, maybe 12. If it were the Vivid, I would probably start at 26 and throw at 13 or 14.

Honestly though, I've never shot at this pattern, although I'd love to. Seems fun.

billf
05-30-2012, 03:13 PM
I have a blast every week with these patterns. At times the scores suffer but I just want to see what I can get my stuff to do on them. That's the good part about non-sanctioned leagues, a bad night doesn't kill your average and with no prize fund I'm not letting anybody down trying different things.

Florida Bowler
05-30-2012, 03:20 PM
I wish I could try some of these patterns. I only have one house within 30 miles, and I'm not even sure if any of the summer leagues are sanctioned, much less sport leagues. I think the tougher patterns would help improve my game quicker by not hiding my mistakes. But for now, it is open bowling form me until the fall.

Good luck on the Dead Man's Curve tonight!

-DJ

billf
05-30-2012, 04:06 PM
thank you. Yes the sport patterns do help. Definitely helps improve accuracy.

ursus
05-30-2012, 06:24 PM
Good Luck tonight Bill!!

ursus
05-30-2012, 11:26 PM
How did the Dead Man's Curve treat you?

MICHAEL
05-30-2012, 11:33 PM
How did the Dead Man's Curve treat you?

This can't be good,,,, its 10:26 and Bill going down Dead Man's Curve? Tune in later to see if Bill did survive the journey!!
""BILL",,,, bill!!

eugene02
05-30-2012, 11:41 PM
yea.. am excited to know the results too! do tell us how you did!

GeorgiaStroker
05-30-2012, 11:51 PM
To paraphrase Jan and Dean... Well, the last thing I remember, Doc, the ball started to sputter
And then I saw the Hell Raiser slide into the gutter
I know I'll never forget that horrible sight
I guess I found out for myself that everyone was right
Won't come back from Dead Man's Curve

JaMau24
05-30-2012, 11:54 PM
This can't be good,,,, its 10:26 and Bill going down Dead Man's Curve? Tune in later to see if Bill did survive the journey!!
""BILL",,,, bill!!

LOL.. is he still alive!?!? It can't be good throwing a Hell Raiser on Dead Man's Curve!

BILL!?! CAN YOU HEAR US!?!

billf
05-31-2012, 12:03 AM
I did find the gutter a few times tonight. 178, 200, 193 & 196. Used the pin down Revenge the first two games. Had to play deeper than I had planned. Game three went with pin up Revenge, fourth was a combination of the Nexxus and plastic. Played 25 leaving the pattern at 13 breakppoint of 10. With the plastic I played straight up the three board. It was a learning experience. I'm late gave a lesson after then talked to an employee for a bit. My wife text and asked if I was spending the night at the alley.

eugene02
05-31-2012, 12:08 AM
LOL!!! spend the night at the alley.. thats funny.. hahahahaha.. totally LOLed at that...

billf
05-31-2012, 12:11 AM
I have before so it wouldn't be a first but I usually let the wife know ahead of time.

MICHAEL
05-31-2012, 12:12 AM
W0w,,, that must be a bunch of fun, getting to the point your at, and bowling different oil patterns!! To me that's what bowling is all about!! Many people, I have run into will not bowl sport parrerns due to ego's!! I have non, but at this point in time have a lot of learning to do asap!! I am and OLD MAN!!! Days numbered!! Anyway... congrat's.... you did well! Very respestable scores!! I know Jason wants to bowl on one, and they do have a great machine at NKC AMF!
Maybe this fall I can talk him into bowling on one with me! I want to experience it! I LIKE, and thrive on challenges!!!

ursus
05-31-2012, 12:18 AM
When you try to serve up some Revenge you end up in the Gutter. A life lesson for you

eugene02
05-31-2012, 12:20 AM
I have before so it wouldn't be a first but I usually let the wife know ahead of time.

wow.. the bowling alleys there are 24 hours?

billf
05-31-2012, 12:21 AM
I won 6 of 8 points tonight and was surprised to see i am the match point leader for this league. Gutters are not that bad, just another lesson on how far I can push the envelope. The Reckless comes factory saying on it "Guts of Gutters". The Revenge just says "Raise Some Hell".

MICHAEL
05-31-2012, 12:29 AM
lol...LOL... that was great !!! I like your version better then the original!!!! (:)

JaMau24
05-31-2012, 12:36 AM
W0w,,, that must be a bunch of fun, getting to the point your at, and bowling different oil patterns!! To me that's what bowling is all about!! Many people, I have run into will not bowl sport parrerns due to ego's!! I have non, but at this point in time have a lot of learning to do asap!! I am and OLD MAN!!! Days numbered!! Anyway... congrat's.... you did well! Very respestable scores!! I know Jason wants to bowl on one, and they do have a great machine at NKC AMF!
Maybe this fall I can talk him into bowling on one with me! I want to experience it! I LIKE, and thrive on challenges!!!

You know I'd love to join a sport league or PBA pattern league. I love to bowl on any pattern, and bowling a house pattern is fun, but I can only imagine how much more fun it would be to have a different pattern every week along with a new challenge. I'm fully aware my average could drop 30 pins, but I need to learn those patterns and practice on them if I ever want to be the bowler I hope to become.

I won 6 of 8 points tonight and was surprised to see i am the match point leader for this league. Gutters are not that bad, just another lesson on how far I can push the envelope. The Reckless comes factory saying on it "Guts of Gutters". The Revenge just says "Raise Some Hell".

The last 5 days or so, I've really had a strong urge to get a Too Reckless ball. However, I can't decide between that and a Frantic. Plus, there is a couple awesome balls that I have my eye on coming out in July and August that have my interest as well. I can't decide what I'm going to do. I'll probably just wait till then and get the new Defiant at some point. But man, I do really want to throw a Too Reckless and/or a Frantic.

Hampe
05-31-2012, 04:38 AM
Gutters are not that bad, just another lesson on how far I can push the envelope.When it comes to throwing a gutter ball with the first shot, there's two things I always say depending on the scenario. If it's the first frame or if the previous frame wasn't a spare, I'll just tell myself or the other person "No worries.....it's still better than a split!".

Of course, If I did have a spare in the previous frame, it's usually something more along the lines of "mother****ing piece of **** son of a **** ball!" :)

billf
05-31-2012, 08:13 AM
The last 5 days or so, I've really had a strong urge to get a Too Reckless ball. However, I can't decide between that and a Frantic. Plus, there is a couple awesome balls that I have my eye on coming out in July and August that have my interest as well. I can't decide what I'm going to do. I'll probably just wait till then and get the new Defiant at some point. But man, I do really want to throw a Too Reckless and/or a Frantic.Waiting

Too Reckless and Frantic for short or drier patterns I get but to mention the Defiant with them? Do you really need or want another heavy oil ball? Waiting to see what the new models bring would be my suggestion. Hopefully DV8 comes out with something new too!

Florida Bowler
05-31-2012, 01:28 PM
Glad to see you survived Dead Man's Curve! Good scores, too.

-DJ

JaMau24
05-31-2012, 02:21 PM
Waiting

Too Reckless and Frantic for short or drier patterns I get but to mention the Defiant with them? Do you really need or want another heavy oil ball? Waiting to see what the new models bring would be my suggestion. Hopefully DV8 comes out with something new too!

Ya I hear your point. I guess what I should say is, I want a Too Reckless/Frantic and a new Defiant maybe at some point. lol