PDA

View Full Version : Older bowler Leagues 80s 90s

MICHAEL
05-31-2012, 05:35 PM
We have a number of ladies on our seniors league here in Kansas city that are in their 80s. One throws a 6 lb yellow Twetty Bird ball. I get a kick out of wathing her bowl. It says a lot for the lay out of our alleys!! She walks up and softly lays her down and several seconds later it hit the pins. She is, without a doubt one of the most accurate bowlers I have seen on our league. Her average is not high, due to deflection of ball off pin's BUT MAN IS IT ALWAYS RIGHT ON TARGET!!! If she was able to throw a
12 lb ball I am sure she would be one of the top bowlers in our alley!! She is amazing!!! I enjoy watch some of the older bowlers in our league bowl each week. They many times have a hard time even walking, but they show up each week and have fun!! Thats one thing I love about the sport of bowling!!!

MICHAEL
05-31-2012, 05:36 PM
I feel like a kid on the league,,, In Fact THEY call ME Kid or Kido,,,,, I am 63!!! lol You got to love em!!!

got_a_300
05-31-2012, 06:05 PM
Yep just because a person gets old doesn't mean they have to give up every thing
they enjoy doing in life. We have several 80+ bowlers on the senior league here and
they still throw the ball as good as I do or probably even a little better than me.

I was asked to bowl on the senior league since I'm 61 but had to turn them down as
I was already bowling 4 nights a week this summer and my old knees and back has
just about taken all the bowling they can stand now. LOL!!!!

billf
05-31-2012, 08:50 PM
We have a female senior who is 71 and averaged 168 last year. I was looking through the archives of the local association and just four years ago she averaged 219! Says she plans to average over 200 this coming season since she had her hip replaced and feels better than she has in 30 years.

MICHAEL
06-01-2012, 08:30 AM
Bill my Dad is 84 this last May, and does not bowl on a league now! Mainly becuse he is out playing golf 5 days a week and has been since retirement. He walks the whole 18 holes, and carries his golf bag on his sholder!!! We bowled togerther back in the earl 70's, Dad, Mom, wife, and myself! As I remember it was a fall league, and we did get first place. My dad is remarkable, and has lived a long healthy life! Anyway, last summer we would get out and bowl Once in a while with my brother. He still has it!!!!! Capable of 200 plus games GREAT FORM and smooth delivery!!! He amazes me the shape he is in, and athletic talent, he still has at 84!! The key, my dad said, is stay active!! He also works out at a gym with his sister of 79.

LTNINGFan
06-01-2012, 03:57 PM
I just love to see these folks still getting out and being active. It gives this 44 year old a wake-up-call to keep me off my rear-end, and complaining I am too tired. :)

billf
06-01-2012, 06:25 PM
It's a perpetual catch-22. Too tired to do stuff, the less stuff you do. The less you do, the more tired you become.
My wife suffers from this disease; perpetual laziness. Complains all the time that she is too tired to do this or that. She only works a maximum of 4 hours a day. I'm always telling her to just get off her butt and do SOMETHING, anything and she would eventually have more energy.
And it's not housework wearing her out either. She does the laundry and dishes, I do the cooking and vacuuming. My daughter is currently staying with us but she does her own laundry, etc
I also take care of the yard, mowing 5 acres.

LTNINGFan
06-01-2012, 06:31 PM
I was doing well back in the late months of winter by maintaining a regular exercise pattern, but I fell off that horse in March I believe, and it's been tough to get back on. I will do it eventually :)

It's a perpetual catch-22. Too tired to do stuff, the less stuff you do. The less you do, the more tired you become.
My wife suffers from this disease; perpetual laziness. Complains all the time that she is too tired to do this or that. She only works a maximum of 4 hours a day. I'm always telling her to just get off her butt and do SOMETHING, anything and she would eventually have more energy.
And it's not housework wearing her out either. She does the laundry and dishes, I do the cooking and vacuuming. My daughter is currently staying with us but she does her own laundry, etc
I also take care of the yard, mowing 5 acres.

MICHAEL
06-02-2012, 10:47 AM
Yes Bill I know where your coming from!!! Yes, my Cup-Cake works for the Railroad, too young to retire. But when she comes home!! she many times pulls out her tinted safty glasses due to the radiant, shine left by my cleaning, and says,,,, " What have you done all day" to her reply I simple say: " You know how to Hurt a Person deep down to the core!",,, Run off to my room and Cry!! Now for the REAL story: wife: what have you done all day?, reply me: More then you could ever even imagine, down to a molecular level, things my dear you Can't even see, Nor conceive, or envision! "YOU CUP-CAKE, might just be the luckiest woman on planet earth! I work my fingers down to the bone, making a happy clean home for you, while you have a good time with all your cohorts at work!
What else do you want from me! ( I even cook, as you do Bill 99 percent of the time) a warm hot dinner ready and waiting!! Yes, Bill Women can be hard to understand. Your damned, if you do, and damned if you don't! I only know this: MY WIFE IS THE LUCKIEST WOMAN IN THIS GALLAXY!! So say I, and I should know~~ lol (:)

MICHAEL
06-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Tom!! Get back on the horse!! There is NO TIME LIKE NOW! Today! In a couple hours I will be jumping on my Goldwing, and off to the YMCA for a workout. I believe without a doubt I would be in a wheel chair, if it were not from working out, eating right, supplements, and all the house work I do for my Cup-Cake!! It will improve your bowling, by giving you better strength, and balance!! ((if not for yourself Tom)) for the sport of bowling!!! (:) michael

J Anderson
06-02-2012, 03:31 PM
Bill my Dad is 84 this last May, and does not bowl on a league now! Mainly becuse he is out playing golf 5 days a week and has been since retirement. He walks the whole 18 holes, and carries his golf bag on his sholder!!! We bowled togerther back in the earl 70's, Dad, Mom, wife, and myself! As I remember it was a fall league, and we did get first place. My dad is remarkable, and has lived a long healthy life! Anyway, last summer we would get out and bowl Once in a while with my brother. He still has it!!!!! Capable of 200 plus games GREAT FORM and smooth delivery!!! He amazes me the shape he is in, and athletic talent, he still has at 84!! The key, my dad said, is stay active!! He also works out at a gym with his sister of 79.

I'm glad that your Dad is doing so well. I lost both my dad (89) and my father-in-law (86) last year. My dad always seemed young until he was forced to take early retirement. At picnics he was one of the few adults over 30 who would play volleyball and softball with the kids. Several health problems really slowed him down, but Kept on bowling til just a few years ago. He was the last of the original bowlers from when the league started in 1941.
My father-in-law, Lou, remained very active until about a year before being diagnosed with advanced cancer. Lou had retired early, probably thinking he was on borrowed time having had a triple by-pass at 59. He took up golf, and bowling after retiring. After being widowed, he started doing volunteer work and joined an antique car club.

MICHAEL
06-02-2012, 05:32 PM
sounds like you had a Dad like mine!! My dad retired at 62 form TWA, was a mechanic! He has had a very good life, golf, bowling for a while, tennis, works out at gym. He use to be the #1 Arm Wrestler at TWA! He had huge arms, and strong! He is getting older now, and not 1/3 what he use to be, but still has pretty good health. It not how long you live that matters in my opinion, its the quality of life, and your health thats important!! I have many bad things that have been thrown at me, but I choose not to let it get me down, and I grab as much gusto as O can!!!! I am not ready for the wheel chair they said I would be in 3 years ago!! Bowling has been a GREAT adrenaline rush in my life.... and I am glad I found the sport!!! I love it!!!