PDA

View Full Version : Affect of incorrect PAP

billf
05-31-2012, 10:46 PM
The pro shop I used this year drilled my balls based off a PAP of 4 3/8" over and 3/8" up. I bowled the equivalent of two games tonight with three balls using a piece of tape and located the PAP on each ball. One was my plastic spare Storm Ice (can't get any lower flare potential), DV8 Misfit (symmetrical core) and Brunswick Nexxus (asymmetrical core). I was surprised when done and I measured each of the balls. My PAP was the same on all three. However, I measured it at [B]5 3/8" over and 3/8" up[B]. It's only an inch but a ball isn't that big either so my question is, how much of an effect can this have on my ball reaction? Is it enough to have them plugged and re-drilled?

bowl1820
05-31-2012, 11:17 PM
I can't speak about the technical aspect of it. But in regard to plugging and redrilling.

As long as your happy with the reaction of the balls and the static weights are right, theres no reason to change them Just to Make a 1" correction.

Just make a note of the pap measurement for the next time you get a ball drilled.

martinezsam2495
06-03-2012, 12:13 PM
yeah it all depends wether you like it or not,

Dogtown
07-13-2012, 02:20 PM
First of all, good for you for mapping your on PAP. You have gained some knowledge about your game that could help you later.

Next, I understand why you proshop guy did what he did. At least, by using the same PAP for each ball he could assume what type of reaction the drill pattern he chose would do. He was wrong, but at least consistent. But, because he missed it by an inch what happens? Well, just for an example, if he drilled the ball to go long (5.5" pin), in reality it could be a 6.5+" pin for you. Results could be it will go too long and have little or no recovery. In reality (without getting into a lot of math) the pin to PAP is probably not off by 1" on your balls, even though your PAP is 1" further out than what he assumed. Depends on the drill pattern. So the difference maybe more subtle.

You never told us how the balls roll. If you like the reaction it doesn't make sense to plug them. Even if you don't like the reaction it might not be worth it. I'm never in favor of plugging 3 holes in a high performance ball. It will change the dynamics of the ball, especially if the holes hit the core, and after redrilling the reaction may still not be what you expect.

At least next time you'll know and maybe the proshop guy will take a little more time to discuss what options you have.

billf
07-13-2012, 11:50 PM
From the reading I did about dual angle layouts it made sense to me that the PAP being 1" off would actually increase the drilling angle. What I'm not sure of is if it would alter the VAL. I asked this question before I attended the bronze conference and did discuss it with some pro shop people during a break while there.
As for the pro shop guy, we discussed in great detail what I wanted each ball to do. When I called and ordered the balls (7 total), I explained how I was replacing my entire arsenal and wanted everything done from scratch. I even mentioned that the span on the two balls I bought from him the year before fit great but I was disappointed in the reaction (Storm Victory Road, Roto-Grip Mutant Cell). One of the driller's I was talking to at the conference knows the one that drilled these balls. They said he likes to drill them long to begin with and with the PAP being that far off it is going even longer. At least I know why with my rotation, tilt and rev rate I'm playing further right than I think I should be.
I understand that because the Pin to PAP is at an angle that it would not be the full inch but because of the geometry closer to 3/8".
Thank you for taking your time to answer and share your expertise.