PDA

View Full Version : How to teach a free arm swing?

swingset
06-01-2012, 06:55 PM
My wife is brand new to the game, never threw a ball in her life until age 44. She up and decided to start, and wanted me to show her how to bowl. I'm actually a pretty good teacher for fundamentals, have showed a lot of people how to bowl and they've all thrived and went on to bowl really well. I know the popular method is a USBC coach, but there aren't many around us and my wife isn't into that kind of thing at all...just not something she'd want to do (hard to explain, but let's just say that I'm gonna be the one to guide her).

I got her a Storm Polar Ice 8lb urethane to start on, and the weight is great for her. She's got a solid 4-step approach - timing is great, always releases at the ankle. Her balance is good, foot and opposite hand go out and she keeps her head right above the ball on release. To see her roll a successful ball, you'd think she had the game nailed. Even her release looks good...stays behind the ball and comes out clean.

Where she's really having trouble is a free "back and through" arm swing. She's bringing it back to the outside, or at release jerking it across her body. It either goes straight down the lane or just slams into the gutter...no in between. I tell her to relax her shoulder and let the ball come back as freely as possible and bring it straight up through after release. She'll correct sometimes and she's great, then bang right back to hurling it left or right, badly. She is frustrated because she says she can't perceive the difference between a good swing and a bad one. I kind of get that, sometimes I can't feel a bad back swing but can see the results. I've told her that it's a matter a clean pushaway and letting the ball drop freely and not imparting movement on it.

The question is, how to get her muscle memory to train the correct swing? Is there a good drill that can help establish that muscle memory?

billf
06-01-2012, 08:24 PM
Sure is a drill :D
Have her stand in the finish position. Swing the arm back and forth in the swing slot. I usually have beginners start without the ball then when they start to feel the correct swing slot, add the ball. This can be done in front of a mirror also. Once your wife can see the correct slot in the mirror, with you watching to ensure proper form, then she can practice it without your help. Five minutes a day and a free arm swing with a correct swing slot will soon follow.

striker12
06-01-2012, 09:23 PM
billf is saing the same way i was showed but my coach took my my fingers made me lock them as if they where in a ball and pulled my arm back slowly to see how much flexability i had and it was not that much but it inproved more i did drills.

but then while my arm was back he had me close my eyes and just relax my arm and think i dont have a arm and he let my arm go and he told me to open my eyes and my arms was swinging freely, but when it came to with the ball i kinda droped the ball a few times untill i got the feel with the ball in my hand, and the drills he ahd me do where 1 steps and no steps, the other was get down on 1 leg and just swing the ball and let it coem out of my hand on its own dont rev it he sead u will learn that when u get the hang of releasing the ball first.

thing with doing it on 1 knee u can do it in your own house too cause you let the ball come out of your hand and u dont want to throw it too hard or it will go threw a wall ik cause i did it, but u do it down a hall any size cause its just a realease drill helps with working on your timing but set up alot of pills at the end of the hall and tape some too the door cause the ball will roll up them.

thats how i was touch cause evryday after bowling my coach will take me and get a lane on and tell me things i did wrong and worked on them with me and he did this every week he told me it should take about the rest of the season till i get all of it intacted but i was able to learn all of it in half the time and he has a good fealing about how im imporving and how far i can get his words.

swingset
06-02-2012, 09:02 AM
Thanks, will try these!

nev
06-02-2012, 09:53 AM
My 2 Bobs worth

Firstly as a coach IMO you need to get her to a coach for a number of reasons
Nothing worse then little Johnny coming up and saying I cannot get the corner pins or cannot get the ball in the pocket only to learn he was taught by his father unqualified and thinking he was right
People have Accreditations for a reason

Having said that I digress

I can guaranty 90% of you wife erratic swing is caused by the weight of the ball
Unless she is a 10lb Midget
An 8lb ball is far to light for a 44yo
She would be muscling or throwing the ball to get it down the lane
A good coach would suggest ball weight by height and build of the person

At the end of the day its the momentum of the body (the approach) and the weight of the ball that gets it to the other end
Muscling the ball creates all sorts of problems with timing and swing.

I'm personally not a fan of head over the ball on release
This causes a drop shoulder and Dick Ritger proved a drop shoulder to be the main cause of erratic swing

I teach the shoulders square to the pins and square to the floor
Almost Imposable I know but gets them out of the dropped shoulder scenario

I would get her with a heaver ball (heaver she can handle the better)

Get her to kneel on the approach
Right knee down (Assuming she is a right hander )
Left foot in front of left knee making sure the left knee is at 90 degrees
Left forearm across left leg body leaning forward

Place the ball beside her and explain the ball is sitting on a clock face
12 O'Clock is straight down the lane and 6 O'Clock is Back toward the ball return

She should have the fingers in the ball at 4 and 5 O'Clock

Then basically lift with the shoulder and put the straight arm back and let it swing making sure the wrist is straight
Then pull it back and when the ball pases the right knee instruct them to relax (straighten) the thumb and the ball should fall off
Then 2 more swings for balance and to check straight arm swing
I tell the kids to answer the phone after they release the ball(bring the hand up to the ear)

After accomplishing that get her to do it standing up
balancing on her left leg with knee bent and the right foot planted behind the left one where ever comfortable
Left arm extended out for balance
Remember shoulders straight

That should help

swingset
06-02-2012, 11:06 AM

That's not happening...and it's not my decision. The one coach that's close to us is abrasive (and from what I've seen of his students, not that impressive) and my wife does not like him, at all. She'll give up bowling before doing that. I'd kind of prefer a good coach do this, believe me but you have to work with the tools at hand, and I'm her man. I've got her timing and release about as picture perfect as I could imagine, so I'm not doing a terrible job so far. I'm very patient and positive with her, trying to see the mechanics and work on one thing at a time.

I can guaranty 90% of you wife erratic swing is caused by the weight of the ball
Unless she is a 10lb Midget
An 8lb ball is far to light for a 44yo
She would be muscling or throwing the ball to get it down the lane

She's 4'11" and 96lbs, not much bigger than a child. I had a 10 and 12 we started with for her, old spares I had laying around and drilled them up for her but she struggled with the 12, even at address it was too much. The 10 was a little better but bothers her wrist after a few games....and the swing wasn't any more consistent with it.

On the rest of your tips, I'll pay attention to her mechanics a bit more next time out - she's bowling with her hand behind the ball and at the 4'oclock position, isn't breaking her wrist at all. I don't think her release could be any better for a new bowler. She's not dropping her shoulder much at all for having her head over the ball but I'll try to get her more square and see if that helps. As I said, her form through delivery and release is quite good, fundamentally. She's worked hard on that in the hallway getting it down and she seems comfortable with it.

We had her in the finished position doing a free swing and releasing that way...and she's able to do that pretty well. The arm swings freely and comes off straight, but when she does it in approach the backswing just goes to hell and starts too far in or out. Her follow through tends to be textbook, except when that backswing goes off axis.

It may be just a repetition issue, I understand, but she's frustrated because she seems unable to correct it mentally (or doesn't think she can)....although I have assured her that the arm swing plagues all bowlers in the same way to some degree. Perhaps we just need a lot more free-swing drills and beat that into her muscle memory a bit.

I appreciate the help and we'll keep trying.

J Anderson
06-02-2012, 02:55 PM
My 2 Bobs worth

Nothing worse then little Johnny coming up and saying I cannot get the corner pins or cannot get the ball in the pocket only to learn he was taught by his father unqualified and thinking he was right
People have Accreditations for a reason

I'm personally not a fan of head over the ball on release
This causes a drop shoulder and Dick Ritger proved a drop shoulder to be the main cause of erratic swing

I teach the shoulders square to the pins and square to the floor
Almost Imposable I know but gets them out of the dropped shoulder scenario

Get her to kneel on the approach
Right knee down (Assuming she is a right hander )
Left foot in front of left knee making sure the left knee is at 90 degrees
Left forearm across left leg body leaning forward

Place the ball beside her and explain the ball is sitting on a clock face
12 O'Clock is straight down the lane and 6 O'Clock is Back toward the ball return

She should have the fingers in the ball at 4 and 5 O'Clock

Then basically lift with the shoulder and put the straight arm back and let it swing making sure the wrist is straight
Then pull it back and when the ball pases the right knee instruct them to relax (straighten) the thumb and the ball should fall off
Then 2 more swings for balance and to check straight arm swing
I tell the kids to answer the phone after they release the ball(bring the hand up to the ear)

Coaching a relative can be stressful.

What Ritger proved was that if you start with shoulders level and let them drop during the approach the swing becomes erratic. Current USBC coaching material suggests starting with the shoulders relaxed and therefore letting the ball side drop slightly, and maintaining this relative position throughout.

Shoulders should be perpendicular to the initial path of the ball. For a beginner, this will most likely be parallel to the foul line. As they gain more hook, or learn to go cross lane for corner pin spares, they will need to slightly angle their bodies at the start of the approach.

Great description of the release drill. If you search the internet for "Dick Ritger, Feelings of bowling" you may be able to find a video of this being demonstrated.

swingset
06-02-2012, 03:19 PM
Coaching a relative can be stressful.

We do well in that regard, we're a family of competitive shooters and I've instructed all my family on that (I'm an NRA instructor). They're pretty used to being coached, and I think that's why she's happy to have me teach her but I'm also quick to tell her that I have limitations in that regard so all I can do is what I know (hence my question here). I don't get emotional with her, I try to keep it light and fun and I think the only frustration I feel is her frustration at not being consistent.

I'm going to work on the release drill with her and try to get her shoulders more square and see if that helps. She's taking my instructions and executing them, so far, so I think we're going to be good once she dials in this part of the game.

billf
06-02-2012, 08:34 PM
I personally am a big believer in Joe Slowinski. Here's his resume;

http://bowlingknowledge.info/images/stories/slowinski_bowling_coach_resume.pdf

Here's his article on swing angle and WHY YOU SHOULD DROP THE SHOULDER. Your choice but this man's results speak for themselves.

http://bowlingknowledge.info/images/stories/slowinskimay12.pdf

swingset
06-02-2012, 08:56 PM
So drop the shoulder, and never drop the shoulder. The coaches agree.

I love a consensus.

;)

billf
06-02-2012, 09:09 PM
Goes back to the #1 rule in bowling..there are no rules, just whatever works for that individual lol

nev
06-02-2012, 09:48 PM
Goes back to the #1 rule in bowling..there are no rules, just whatever works for that individual lol

Yes at the end of the day in general there is no right or wrong way as long as its constant (same every time)
But there are things that can make it easier

I personally am a big believer in Joe Slowinski. Here's his resume;

http://bowlingknowledge.info/images/stories/slowinski_bowling_coach_resume.pdf

Here's his article on swing angle and WHY YOU SHOULD DROP THE SHOULDER. Your choice but this man's results speak for themselves.

http://bowlingknowledge.info/images/stories/slowinskimay12.pdf

Interesting (but confusing)article thanks
Wow we are talking a beginner here not the elite
Fine tuning comes later
Give them too much to think about and they never come back:)

WOW an 8Lb ball in an adults hands
Ive got 8-9 yo kids in 9-10lb balls

Hows her pin carry???

TenPin Bowling is a tough metal and physical SPORT
It requires metal and physical conditioning Muscle training etc
May I Suggest Strengthing exercises squeezing tennis balls etc

For her or anyone to carry pins with an 8lb ball would require her to thunder the ball down the lane

Think of the swing as a clock pendulum the heavier the weight the truer the swing
No weight at the bottom its not going to swing

billf
06-02-2012, 10:06 PM

My oldest granddaughter is a little taller and heavier than Swingsets wife and I wouldn't be comfortable with her swinging a ball much heavier. After some experience/confidence maybe she will decide to try a heavier weight. At the end of the day bowling still needs to be fun to the participant. Anything that causes pain isn't enjoyable to most people, or so I'm told.

Think of the swing as a clock pendulum the heavier the weight the truer the swing

But there is a point where too much weight can cause muscling or trying to muscle the swing.

A proper arm slot is too advanced at this time but a ball heavier than the individual is comfortable with is ok? I agree heavier would be better but not if she can't handle it or control it.

billf
06-03-2012, 12:37 AM
Nev, I apologize if any of this is coming across as personal. It's not intended that way. Every coach know what has worked for them to get people to accomplish what's being asked and of course we all believe we are the ones that are correct. However, for some people, something all together may be what suits them best. Without tone or inflection, two dimensional words can come across more abrasive than intended.
My oldest granddaughter is taller and heavier than the lady mentioned. I still get mad when I think how a coach tried getting that 10 year old to use a 14lbs ball. Forced her to use it right up until she hurt her elbow. One reason I took the coach courses.

kev3inp
06-03-2012, 09:00 AM
If you want your swing to be in the correct plane and height above the lane your shoulder must drop. (Unless somehow you're on your knees at the foul line.) It's a question of degree. Moderation in all things. I think it's hard to develop a "free swing" with nothing in your hand. For an 8 lb ball simulator you can use a gallon bottle of water, you just don't let it go.

billf
06-03-2012, 11:11 AM
I think it's hard to develop a "free swing" with nothing in your hand. For an 8 lb ball simulator you can use a gallon bottle of water, you just don't let it go.

It is harder to develop a free swing. At first I just want them to know where the swing plane is and don't want to see anybody reach over to show a correction and end up eating a bowling ball. This step only takes a few minutes. I still work on my swing plane empty handed at home, work, wherever I get bored and have a minute or two.

swingset
06-04-2012, 07:01 PM

Hows her pin carry???

TenPin Bowling is a tough metal and physical SPORT
It requires metal and physical conditioning Muscle training etc
May I Suggest Strengthing exercises squeezing tennis balls etc

For her or anyone to carry pins with an 8lb ball would require her to thunder the ball down the lane

I understand the ball weight worries, I do, I'm not new to the game...but we're talking about a very small woman who's in her mid 40's. She's tried a 12 and it hurt her forearm/wrist at address to hold it up, and it didn't make an ounce of difference with her consistency...she was just as erratic with a 12. She's not in bad shape, in fact she does P90X and is fit, but she's tiny and her wrists and forearms pretty weak. I have crappy knees, some people have ankle issues, she's just not strong there.

She tried a 10 and it was right on the line, she's already started working on her forearm and wrist a bit trying to develop a little stronger hand, but for now it's a question of pain. She's not going to learn anything if it hurts.

Her pin carry isn't too bad, btw, it's a urethane ball with a pancake core and she's knocking over pins without hurling it. As good as me? No, of course not but it's better than a house ball and she's got decent ball speed (12-13mph) without muscling it.

I hope to move her up to a 10lb when she's more comfortable and not trying so hard to juggle all the physicality of her approach but if it causes her discomfort she'll stay where she's at. 10lbs is where the ball selection opens up, there's not a lot of options at 8.

TheSheibs
06-05-2012, 03:09 PM
I don't like how nev says that a kids father could be teaching their kid the wrong way to do something because he is not a certified coach. My dad spent a few years working at a bowling ally when he was in high school and taught me the correct way to make adjustments and the correct fundamentals. That's why I bowl the way I do. The best thing a coach can do is watch you. If you have someone who knows the correct way to bowl and knows the fundamentals, you can actually do pretty well.

Back on topic..... I agree about the shoulders being square to the lane. I also agree that no matter what you do you will have a slight shoulder drop. Put something in either hand and holding it by your side will cause your shoulder to drop slightly. If that is happening, one thing you can try is to not have her back foot slide over at all. This is how I was taught when I first started. Yeah, the leg going behind a bowler looks cool but does not serve a real purpose when you are just starting. Also to help her keep her arm swinging the same back and forward try the old statue of liberty, where she would finish with her hand in front of her. This will allow her to see if she had her arm come forward at an angle or if it was straight. If her hand finishes in front of her eyes then it was not straight. If it finishes in line with her shoulder than it was straight.

billf
06-05-2012, 04:14 PM
Actually, for some woman the slide is imperative. It's the only way they can clear their hips. Swingset's wife's stats suggest she wouldn't fit into this category though. Here in Ohio, it can be a real issue and a delicate one to try to explain lol
Don't take the father teaching comment personally. Most fathers don't work in bowling alleys and only know the recreational side of bowling. Those fathers would do more harm than good to a child's development. That being said, any time a parent takes to participate with their kids is great and I have no problem spending a few extra minutes convincing them that the right way was their idea.
All a coach can do is watch and make suggestions. That's all anybody can do, really. The difference is knowing what to look for and how to correct it. Most good bowlers who work at their sport can do the same thing but usually only to the point of their own style.

TheSheibs
06-05-2012, 10:24 PM
Most good bowlers who work at their sport can do the same thing but usually only to the point of their own style.

I think this is the reason why The average good bowler is the worst person to take advice from. Their good with their own style. They can tell if your releasing the ball early or lat, crossing your body, dropping the ball, etc. But when it comes to another style. The good bowlers who are good with their style and can give good advice are those who have looked at other styles and have an understanding of various styles. It is important to understand all popular styles to be able to give another bowler with a different style advice that would be beneficial.

eugene02
06-05-2012, 10:57 PM
no one taught me how to bowl a hook ball.. i tried myself with a guard at first.. Well. Great results.. I can hook the ball.. but the power ain't there.. The ball i feel is moving too slow.. So, i off-ed the guard.. Now, i'm bowling without a guard.. and feel that I have more control over it.. All of this i learned it myself without a Coach.. Because I can't really afford one.. Only a student.. So Imma join the School's Bowling Club when I start school in October.. When I don't know anything, I asked in this forum and see how i can improve myself.. thats how i started bowling..