PDA

View Full Version : The most frustrating, great day of bowling...

JaMau24
06-03-2012, 06:56 PM
What do I mean when I say that? Well, at league this afternoon, I bowled a 239, 246, and 243 for a 728 series (my best sanctioned series), yet, we lost ALL 4 possible points. We bowled against a man and his wife, who pre-bowled, and they did extremely well. His wife is a 114 avg bowler and bowled a 176, 136, and 154, which is ENORMOUS considering how much handicap she has. The husband is a solid 210 avg bowler and bowled a 186, 236, and 225. So, basically, we had to absolutely be on our game today. I was, my teammate wasn't really.

In game 1, If I'd have struck out for a 276, we'd have won, but I had a split and an open in the 8th frame, we lost by 16 (my teammate is a 170 avg, bowled a 150 or something like that).

The second game, I had the first 5 strikes, threw a nice ball in the 6th, left a ringing 10 pin, and of course, missed it. Went on to shoot a 246, my teammate a 180 or so I believe. However, I had my chance if I struck out in the 10th, to win, but I missed my mark by a little, went high by a little, and left a 4 pin. We lose by 5 pins.

Game 3, I also had the first 5 strikes, went high in the 6th, again only by a little, and left a 4 pin (spared). Went on the strike the next 3 frames into the 9th, ALL I NEEDED WAS A MARK TO WIN... and of course, I throw a split. I never have been a bad pressure shooter, I don't get nervous before a big shot (unless its a 300), and I wasn't nervous this shot.. Just threw a bad shot, went high, left the 4,9 split. Missed it, we lose by 2 pins. (teammate bowled a 190 I believe this game).

So on one hand, I did excellent today, but on the other hand, I didn't finish when I needed to. So frustrated. Now we just fell out of first with only one week to go. I wish my teammate would have bowled better, but I don't blame him, I blame myself. I just wish he'd have shown up on time and threw some practice shots, but he got there right when it started, threw 3 gutter balls out of his first 4 shots (2nd frame, two straight gutter balls, we lose by 16 that game).

Looks like we'll be having a roll-off next week against the NEW first place team. Hopefully I can bring the same scores and me and my teammate will both be on point.

(Also, another note, I bowled a 713 on Tuesday, I think this is the first time I've ever bowled back-2-back 700 series in league. Hopefully I can make it 3 in a row on Tuesday)

billf
06-03-2012, 07:05 PM
Other than the first game it sounds like your teammate was over average. As much as it sucks, that's all you can really hope for. The big issue I would have is why was your partner late!? I hate that with a passion. My doubles partner is usually cutting close on our men's league and on our mixed league the women don't even practice. It really pisses me off. I know it's for fun but come on, at least act like you care. We got second place this past season. If either of the women had come close to average the last week we would have taken first. I shot 172 pins over average for the series but there is no way I can carry a 4 person team all alone. Shouldn't have to and neither should you or anybody else that wants to win!

JaMau24
06-03-2012, 07:08 PM
Other than the first game it sounds like your teammate was over average. As much as it sucks, that's all you can really hope for. The big issue I would have is why was your partner late!? I hate that with a passion. My doubles partner is usually cutting close on our men's league and on our mixed league the women don't even practice. It really pisses me off. I know it's for fun but come on, at least act like you care. We got second place this past season. If either of the women had come close to average the last week we would have taken first. I shot 172 pins over average for the series but there is no way I can carry a 4 person team all alone. Shouldn't have to and neither should you or anybody else that wants to win!

I told him how we both had to be great today, he is capable of shooting 200's, and I told him to aim for that today, and he missed some easy spares (for him). He could tell I was frustrated with the results (as was he), and said "Sorry I had an off day", and I was like, "It's not that you had an off day, it's that you didn't care to have a great day, and come in on time and throw practice shots". Especially when I explained to him the previous days the importance of this week and how badly we needed to win.

You're right, he didn't do that bad considering his average, but he and I both know he can do better. He's a good friend of mine, so I won't ever be "mad" at him over bowling. It just frustrates me that he never practices any more and couldn't even show up on time today, considering the league is almost over and we are trying to win first, then later move on to the city wide tournament.

billf
06-03-2012, 08:55 PM
We have a guy on our men's league (5 man team) that when he has a bad game just starts chucking it with no care in the world. I finally told him he had to care enough to at least try. I showed him where we lost some games by less than 20 pins when he didn't care. At first he gave me a smart answer but I told him in a stern tone, "You don't need to finish the night. I can have your permanent replacement here in under 5 minutes." He finished with a garbage game but tried and the following week rolled a 780 series. This same guy is usually late and missed four weeks without ever contacting me or answering my calls. He already knows his leash is short this coming season.

Etrain
06-03-2012, 11:19 PM
nice bowling on the back to back 7 series!

off topic ... how do u shoot your 10 pins? with half thumb?

JaMau24
06-03-2012, 11:35 PM

That is what I used to do up till about a couple weeks ago.. I'm switching to throwing a straight ball at it.. Still not that accurate at it, but I hope with more practice, I will be.

eugene02
06-03-2012, 11:55 PM
same as me jason.. can't hit 9 and 10 pins for nuts.. i'm a idiot with my spare ball.. damn!

got_a_300
06-04-2012, 01:09 AM
We all have those kind of days we bowl good / great and our
team mate(s) will let us down best thing is to just forget it
and move on to next week and just hope for the best out of
them.

The German Shepherd
06-04-2012, 12:22 PM
I wouldn't put up with that, no matter how much talent that bowler has....

J.

MICHAEL
06-06-2012, 02:30 PM

I use to have a huge problme with 10 pin, maybe 30 percent!! I now use a dead ball with a little flare, and pick up 90 percent. 100 percent last night in league on DRY lanes. I also stick my thumb in only to the first joint! Works GREAT for me, and has saved those, (Should have been strike 10 pin leaves, form no mark missing shots)!!
I think it was a combination of Standing far left, aiming middle arrow, thumb half way in, and using a plastic ball, or dead ball with very little flare like my alien! The alien has turned out to be my GO TOO BALL for 10 pin or dry lane conditions!! I am affraid to do anything to it, in fear of it changing, so all I do now is clean it well after use!! Half Thumb helps in my case a lot!!!! ( I am not a coach, or for that matter know much about the sport, but like I have always said, if it works,,,, USE IT, or lose it!! LOL,,,(:)

billf
06-06-2012, 02:54 PM
! ( I am not a coach, or for that matter know much about the sport, but like I have always said, if it works,,,, USE IT, or lose it!! LOL,,,(:)

That's part of the problem with some coaches. They get so set in their ways that they won't/don't/can't consider any other way. That's part of what makes this sport such fun; what works for one may not work for another. Try all you can, keep what works and discard what doesn't.