PDA

View Full Version : Understanding League Handicap and Scoring

crazybowler
06-05-2012, 03:32 PM
Hey guys. Just want to get an understanding on the handicap in a league and how it works.

Lets say our team, everyone had bowled over the fall so we have a bowling avg.

The other team, two of them has an average however the other 2 doesn't have a book average.

This is the start of the season.

So our team we have the following avg:

1. 150
2. 160
3. 190
4. 210

for a team avg of 710

the other team has two member who has a avg:

1. 150
2. 160

The other two doesn't. So at the start of the game, we are already giving them a bunch of handicap points.

When do the other two member get an establish average. We ended losing to them due to the bunch of handicap points as the other two bowler are 190 and 180 avg and the blind average is 135 . So would the game re-calculate after their average gets calulated later.

Lets say once the other two bowler get their average, do we get some of the handicap point taken off because we lost by 15 pin the 2nd game and overall.

Just wondering. Any insight is much appreciated.

vgw
06-05-2012, 03:39 PM
most leagues will calculate new bowlers after they bowl the 3 games and then use that average to calculate the handicap. This is normally done through the first 3 weeks. The blind average only matters if they only have 3 bowlers of a 4 man team.

billf
06-05-2012, 04:07 PM
Our bowling association is standard throughout all our handicap leagues. Averages and thus handicaps are calculated weekly and adjusted accordingly. Anyone who does not have an established average will have their average and handicap calculated following their series. The points then for that first night would be recalculated to not punish an established team.

J Anderson
06-05-2012, 04:08 PM
VGW is correct. You weren't giving them any handicap points to start because with out book averages for the full team they had no way of knowing what the handicap would be. Its always tough to bowl a team that has one or more bowlers establishing a new average. The new guy automatically is going to hit his average for the night, ( oh, wait a minute, some leagues actually bowl when the sun is up ), so your team has to be bowling well to take wood.

bowl1820
06-05-2012, 06:01 PM
Hey guys. Just want to get an understanding on the handicap in a league and how it works.

Lets say our team, everyone had bowled over the fall so we have a bowling avg.
The other team, two of them has an average however the other 2 doesn't have a book average.
This is the start of the season.
So our team we have the following avg:

1. 150
2. 160
3. 190
4. 210

for a team avg of 710

the other team has two member who has a avg:

1. 150
2. 160

The other two doesn't. So at the start of the game, we are already giving them a bunch of handicap points.

When do the other two member get an establish average. We ended losing to them due to the bunch of handicap points as the other two bowler are 190 and 180 avg and the blind average is 135 . So would the game re-calculate after their average gets calulated later.

Lets say once the other two bowler get their average, do we get some of the handicap point taken off because we lost by 15 pin the 2nd game and overall.

Just wondering. Any insight is much appreciated.

Okay on the first night of the league

You had a full team of 4.

The team you were playing had a full team of 4.

On the other team they had 2 bowlers with established averages and two bowlers who were establishing average.

At the end of the first night, you would calculate the averages and handicap for the 2 bowlers who were establishing.

This handicap is added to the other 2 bowlers handicap to give you the total team handicap and you would figure wins and loses using that.

Now here's the question, Where did the 135 Blind average come from? A blind/vacancy doesn't figure in any of that situation. Because all the players are present.

martinezsam2495
06-05-2012, 06:16 PM
yeah, my league partner for bowling, has a 96 pins handicap, very handy!

crazybowler
06-06-2012, 05:14 PM
the 135 average is the average of the blind like you stated but that night the system gave the two bowler that were establishing their average a 135 average to fill in. So even before the game started, we were giving 135 handicap pins.

the other team:

bowler 150
bowler 160

new bowler 135
new bowler 135

so a team average of 580.

anyways, i guess I will keep an eye out on the score sheet for the next couple of weeks and see if we get those games back or not. If not, then I should bring it up to their attention?

bowl1820
06-06-2012, 05:33 PM
the 135 average is the average of the blind like you stated but that night the system gave the two bowler that were establishing their average a 135 average to fill in. So even before the game started, we were giving 135 handicap pins.

the other team:

bowler 150
bowler 160

new bowler 135
new bowler 135

so a team average of 580.

anyways, i guess I will keep an eye out on the score sheet for the next couple of weeks and see if we get those games back or not. If not, then I should bring it up to their attention?

That doesn't make any sense.
The new guys were bowling that night weren't they?, if so then there is no reason to use a 135 blind/vacancy for anything.

You don't use it for handicap for those guys or for a team average. If they figured the handicap based on the vacancy score and used it for those guys handicap. Thats wrong, go file a complaint with the league.

Now if those two guys were not there the first night, the vacancy could be used.

Tell me do you know what the handicap the league is using?

billf
06-06-2012, 10:33 PM
Our center uses numbers similar when first establishing an average. I don't remember exactly why but it had something to do with the computer needing to see some number. I remember thinking, "Isn't zero a number?" but the owner does a great job updating the information.