PDA

View Full Version : Information about my local bowling alley,

martinezsam2495
06-10-2012, 12:19 AM
Gage Bowl Oil conditions : Medium
2nd alley I go to Del Rio: Medium to Heavy oil
so now Bill, this is now my question, I asked the man at the counter and he told me that it was medium oil, but I told him I'm planning on getting another ball and I mentioned the critical theory, and he said is that from Roto Grip? I said yes and he said it would be a perfect ball for the way I bowl, I would just have to adjust myself and he said I would be able to learn how to throw with both my strike shot (2 fingers) and my spare shot with (3 fingers).

eugene02
06-10-2012, 03:06 AM
why not just use 3 fingers for all shot? learn how to throw properly..

billf
06-10-2012, 12:25 PM
With medium oil you will be fine with a Critical Theory. Depending on how the lanes beak down you may have to move your feet a board right (you're left handed and I took this into account) each game. When you are on the heavy oil you will have to start further left with your feet. These adjustments have you keeping the same target. If you're leaving 4s, 6's, 7s, 10s or any other single pin a common adjustment is what's called 2:1. Move your feet 2 boards and your target 1 board in the same direction. This changes the entry angle slightly and if you moved the correct direction, should carry that single pin. However, this only works if it's the same pin leave consistently.

martinezsam2495
06-11-2012, 12:34 PM
why not just use 3 fingers for all shot? learn how to throw properly..

Since I"m still doing league I don't want to change my shot entirely yet, because I will still have to learn how to throw the ball with 3 fingers and control it, if I were to use that during a game I would drop my average :/

TheSheibs
06-11-2012, 12:40 PM
One word...Practice. If you want to change anything, style or technique. It is easiest to do those changes in practice to get comfortable with it. I changed ball and grip at the same time 10 minutes before league started but was able to throw an entire game before hand. After that I bowled 6 games on two different days to finish getting use to the ball and grip. N I am up to 9 games of practice where I am working on my consistency and also bowling while a little tired.

martinezsam2495
06-11-2012, 12:51 PM
One word...Practice. If you want to change anything, style or technique. It is easiest to do those changes in practice to get comfortable with it. I changed ball and grip at the same time 10 minutes before league started but was able to throw an entire game before hand. After that I bowled 6 games on two different days to finish getting use to the ball and grip. N I am up to 9 games of practice where I am working on my consistency and also bowling while a little tired.
That does seem like a good idea, I will throw in 3 extra games of practice a week, since on Saturday I get 3 games (league) Sunday 2+ Hours of Bowling (paid by the hour). I was also told that a good idea would be to redrill the ball and get it fit into my holes.

martinezsam2495
06-11-2012, 12:55 PM
With medium oil you will be fine with a Critical Theory. Depending on how the lanes beak down you may have to move your feet a board right (you're left handed and I took this into account) each game. When you are on the heavy oil you will have to start further left with your feet. These adjustments have you keeping the same target. If you're leaving 4s, 6's, 7s, 10s or any other single pin a common adjustment is what's called 2:1. Move your feet 2 boards and your target 1 board in the same direction. This changes the entry angle slightly and if you moved the correct direction, should carry that single pin. However, this only works if it's the same pin leave consistently.

Ok, I see what you mean but the thing is with that, I don't release the ball on the ground. I sort of loft it to my target, so I start from the 3rd and 4th dot. and go down the lane and throw it towards the 2nd arrow. Then it goes down the lane and hooks into the pocket. I haven't looked at the boards, but I'll bring you that information the next time I go bowling, So if the 7 pin keeps standing up, I move 2 more boards to the left? It is consistent that the 7 pin keeps standing up.

billf
06-11-2012, 04:13 PM
7 pin you can move 2 boards left or 4 inches back. Some even try half a step forward. It's all about changing the angle very slightly.

kev3inp
06-12-2012, 07:09 AM
I usually move my feet to adjust where the ball enters the pocket, and up or back depending on if it's a ringing 7 or a flat 7. Sometimes, though, I guess wrong. I swear, the shots I think are the best always leave that 7. I say "Say hello to my little friend!"