PDA

View Full Version : Still doing Scribing?

bowl1820
06-12-2012, 08:06 PM
I haven't seen many scribed balls anymore. Did everyone give up on it.

martinezsam2495
06-12-2012, 08:12 PM
what do you mean by scribed? As in engraved with a certain mark or phrase?

bowl1820
06-12-2012, 08:35 PM
what do you mean by scribed? As in engraved with a certain mark or phrase?

Most of the time when you get a ball drilled, they mark where the grip is using a yellow grease/wax pencil.

Scribing is where instead of using a pencil, they use a metal "scribe" and etch the grip layout lines into the balls surface.

It's felt that this gives a more accurate layout for drilling.
Example:
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhORPi5dLe679DOKbDRr7IlaKq0Ja7D Y_PiRuTR-LjFgDccZeE&t=1

ursus
06-12-2012, 10:13 PM
Most of the time when you get a ball drilled, they mark where the grip is using a yellow grease/wax pencil.

Scribing is where instead of using a pencil, they use a metal "scribe" and etch the grip layout lines into the balls surface.

Example:
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhORPi5dLe679DOKbDRr7IlaKq0Ja7D Y_PiRuTR-LjFgDccZeE&t=1

Are those permanent marks on the ball then?

eugene02
06-12-2012, 11:02 PM
if yes than its mainly spoiling the ball in my opinion.. messed up a nice ball with marks like that..

martinezsam2495
06-12-2012, 11:02 PM

Example:

oh, well it all depends on the person, because I don't think many people would like that on their ball,

J Anderson
06-12-2012, 11:12 PM
I think that all the balls that Buddie's pro shop has drilled for me have been scribed. I would guess they do it for their on-line customers as well.

bowl1820
06-12-2012, 11:28 PM
It's permanent to a extent, depending on how deep they did it. After you sanded your ball a couple of times it would be gone.

You mostly seen scribing on balls that had been used in the PBA, there they were worried about winning not what their ball looked like.

Here's from a article about the PBA Drill truck"
"Most pro shops use a grease pencil to mark the balls for drilling," Snellbaker says. "Scribing is much better, since it leaves a permanent record of the work and allows greater accuracy. We drill with an accuracy of 128th of an inch." Thompson adds, "Some players' feel is more sensitive, so the degree of accuracy really counts."

Also you might see it on some high level amateurs balls or bowlers that drill their own balls, not that much on regular bowlers equipment.

If you think that's something you could have a "Mill hole" also, that's hole about 1/2 inch dia. and 1/8" depth they put above the finger holes to inspect the ball.

eugene02
06-13-2012, 01:55 AM
mine, they use a chalk like pencil to draw the layout.. after drilling all, they would use the ball cleaner to wipe it all off..

TheSheibs
06-13-2012, 01:09 PM
So I found this interesting but have a couple questions scince I have never seen this before or even heard of it. 1) how would this damage the ball? Isn't this no different than having your initials or name engraved on the ball? 2) what's the reason that someone would want these lines scribed on their ball? Is it so that if they decide to change the holes they would know where the originals holes where? 3) would you be able to resell such a ball and would you buy a ball that has scribing on it?

bowl1820
06-13-2012, 02:15 PM
So I found this interesting but have a couple questions since I have never seen this before or even heard of it.
Look close at this picture of the Sarge Easter Grip near the finger holes and you can see the scribe lines on it.
On the other picture I used the person that scribed that ball I think kind of over did it. But you could see it easier in the picture.
This pic show you closer to how it should be done.
http://www.brunsnick.com/images/sarge.jpg

1) how would this damage the ball?
It doesn't damage the ball, it's just aesthetically unpleasing to a lot of people.

Isn't this no different than having your initials or name engraved on the ball?
Scribing is just a surface scratch and if you sand your balls (say changing surfaces) it will disappear. Engraving is different in that it is much deeper than scribe line.
Look at this way, a scribe mark is like scratching a piece of wood with a nail. Engraving is like using a router on that piece of wood. You can sand that scratch off, but you'd have to fill in what the router did.

2) what's the reason that someone would want these lines scribed on their ball? Is it so that if they decide to change the holes they would know where the originals holes where?
Why do it? If you had read the posts above it told the reason why. Because they feel it allows greater accuracy in drilling the grip.

3) would you be able to resell such a ball and would you buy a ball that has scribing on it?
Sure you could resell them. Depending on where you bought a used ball from, if it's been plugged and resurfaced it will be gone.

Would I buy one? Sure. It's just a couple of scratches, shoot people buy other peoples used balls all the time, with scratches, dents etc. Whats a couple of light scratches that will disappear once it gets sanded once or twice.

dgz924s
06-13-2012, 06:53 PM
I can understand the accuracy based on the balls I had drilled. The grease pencil leaves a fairly wide mark opposed to a fine scribe line and if the pencil is not real sharp it leaves an even wider line. So when setting the drill on the line or X it could be off by a thousands of an inch or more, atleast this is how I read into the accuracy between the two methods?

In regards to the line damaging the ball, I don't think the scribe is even near the track so I would not think it is an issue? Cosmetic, I agree.

Interesting thread as I never heard of the scribing method. But I wonder why my Dads Brunswick Black Beauty from the mid 60's, and in brand new condition BTW, has no scribe lines because there were no grease pencils back in those days, wonder what was used back then?

bowl1820
06-13-2012, 07:19 PM
Interesting thread as I never heard of the scribing method. But I wonder why my Dads Brunswick Black Beauty from the mid 60's, and in brand new condition BTW, has no scribe lines because there were no grease pencils back in those days, wonder what was used back then?

No grease pencils in the 60's! Grease pencils,wax pencils, tailoring pencils,china markers have been around a lot longer than that.

dgz924s
06-13-2012, 07:55 PM
No grease pencils in the 60's! Grease pencils,wax pencils, tailoring pencils,china markers have been around a lot longer than that.

Yes after the post went up I forgot there were crayolas back then, I just never saw pencils back in the day so I assumed there were none.

TheSheibs
06-13-2012, 09:27 PM
Did crayolas have a sharper point back then than they do now? I would think the person drilling the holes would want as thin a line as possible so that it would be as accurate as possible. I watched this one youtube video and the guy even said he usually uses a pencil that would create a thinner line but was using one that would leave a thicker line so people watching the video would be able to see the line he put on the ball better. So I kind of assume that scribing was used so that it would be as accurate as possible. It makes sense to me to want the thinnest line to be as accurate as possible.

Bowl1820~ That picture shows it as a very light line and I now see what you mean. thanks for answering my questions on scribing with posting that picture.

nev
06-14-2012, 04:42 AM
Wouldnt scribing deem the ball illegal under USBC rules

bowl1820
06-14-2012, 08:25 AM

I assume your referring to this:
Surface
The surface of the ball shall be free of all depressions or grooves of specific pattern, except
for holes or indentations used for gripping the ball, identification lettering and numbers, and
incidental chipping or marking caused by wear. Engraved pictures, logos, and/or designs from
the manufacturer are not considered grooves of specific pattern.

I don't know.

Considering all the years it's been done, if it was violating the rules. It would have been brought up and dealt with long ago.

I'll do some research into it, I already sent a email to the USBC rule dept. asking them about it.

Another example of scribing.
http://www.brunsnick.com/arsenalpics/mammoth1.jpg

bowl1820
06-14-2012, 04:07 PM

Okay here's from the USBC rules dept.

Hello,

Thank you for your question. Grip line scribing are not considered to be grooves of a specific pattern, and are usually not in the ball track so it is acceptable, and is not a violation of any USBC rule/regulation. A ball that is scribed is allowed for use during USBC Certified competition. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,
Jason Milligan
Research Technician

billf
06-14-2012, 04:22 PM
Now I'm thinking of trying this method on my next ball. It makes so much sense from an accuracy stand point and am curious how much of a difference it will make for me personally.
I can just imagine the driller's expression when I walk in with a ball all layed out with scribe marks ready to go.

bowl1820
06-14-2012, 05:11 PM
Yeah I can see how it could affect accuracy, along with the drilling style of the pro. If they are a "Leave the line" or "split the line" or "Take the line" on how they punch the holes. And if they punch the thumb first, then measure the hole span for even more accuracy.

TheSheibs
06-14-2012, 10:13 PM
So here's the question. Which why of drilling a ball is more accurate, scribing or using a grease/wax pencil?

bowl1820
06-14-2012, 10:21 PM
So here's the question. Which why of drilling a ball is more accurate, scribing or using a grease/wax pencil?

You basically already asked that question and was answered.

2) what's the reason that someone would want these lines scribed on their ball? Is it so that if they decide to change the holes they would know where the originals holes where?
Why do it? If you had read the posts above it told the reason why. Because they feel it allows greater accuracy in drilling the grip.

J Anderson
06-14-2012, 10:47 PM
One of the bowlers on the team we bowled against tonight asked to look at my VG Nano after the last game. He took one look at the scribe marks and said, "Oh, Chris drilled drilled this for you. I hate when he puts all those scratches in my nice new ball!"

TheSheibs
06-14-2012, 11:34 PM
If you have a person who drills balls scribe it, why not ask them to sand it down and polish it(if it has a polished cover) after the holes are drilled? That is if you don't want the lines in the ball.

Also sorry for asking the same question twice. I was being rushed to take care of something by my wife and didn't think to go back through the posts.

eugene02
06-14-2012, 11:38 PM
I wouldn't want my newly bought nice ball being scribed.. looks awful imo..

billf
06-15-2012, 05:13 PM
If it works better I don't care what it looks like. I'm already an ugly SOB so why would I want my balls to look nice? That's like not using a HRR because it has purple in it...makes no sense to me.

goober84
07-15-2012, 12:41 AM
im sorry, this post makes me laugh. I miss the days of pro shop proprietors scribing. To me, its a way of showing off as to how good you think you are as a driller. It isnt hard to drill a ball, but its art to drill balls consistently accurate. To anyone that "complains" that they dont want their new ball scratched, i say to you as i used to say to bowls that used to frequent the proshop i used to work in, leave the ball on the fire mantel. i mean, you are throwing a ball down a lane at an average of 15 or so miles an hour, hitting (if thrown correctly) 4 pins that are 12 inches apart from center to center.