PDA

View Full Version : Taking the plunge in to the 21st century!

panbanger
06-13-2012, 09:47 PM
Went to the pro shop today and decided to pony up for a DV8 Misfit! Am also getting my Storm Ice re-drilled as a fingertip grip. Didn't think it would be wise to have one ball fingertip and one ball conventional. I'm picking both of them up on Monday, should be interesting and fun! The bowling alley was packed and the pro shop looked to be doing good business as well. It was nice to see - whole place has been pretty empty the other times I've gone.

Those first few rolls on Monday will be....different. I think I'll start off just standing near the foul line - no approach until I get the feel for fingertip. Anyone have any suggestions on starting out? I think slowly is the key, but any advice is appreciated!

billf
06-13-2012, 10:55 PM
Just try to not think about it. At first it feels like the ball will fall but it won't. I remember that feeling vividly and yet now when I try conventional I can't figure out how I ever used it.

GeorgiaStroker
06-13-2012, 10:58 PM
You'll do great. Once you've thrown it a couple of times you won't notice it any more. Don't grip the ball to hard, you'll find that you don't need much grip pressure to hold onto the ball. Everyone starts out with a little fear of dropping the ball but after you get used to it you'll be glad you made the switch.

TheSheibs
06-13-2012, 11:09 PM
I just switched the finger tip grip a couple weeks ago. Since I made the switch on a league day, I just started running with it. Had the pro shop guy watch me and give me some pointers. I haven't changed anything with my approach or swinging my arm. It took a few throws to get the ball out in front of me. Once that happened all was good. There is really no need to just stand at the foul line with no approach. Just remember not to grip with your fingers. You need to relax your fingers in a finger tip grip(at least that's what I was told by the guy who drilled the ball and helped me make the adjustments told me).

ursus
06-13-2012, 11:17 PM
I would just do your normal approach that you feel comfortable already doing, after a few rolls it shouldn't feel that odd to you.

got_a_300
06-14-2012, 01:11 AM
As the others have said just go with your regular approach but you can go slowly if
you feel the need to do so but best thing to remember is don't squeeze on the ball
just relax your fingers and thumb and you'll do great.

billf
06-14-2012, 04:28 PM
I can't wait for Monday night to see how it turned out ;)

panbanger
06-16-2012, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the replies and advice, will go with my regular approach and hopefully it wont take long to get the hang of it. For once I cant wait for Monday to get here lol

GeorgiaStroker
06-16-2012, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the replies and advice, will go with my regular approach and hopefully it wont take long to get the hang of it. For once I cant wait for Monday to get here lol

I for one reccomend retirement. Everyday can be a Saturday or whatever day you want. lol

billf
06-16-2012, 07:37 PM
I for one reccomend retirement. Everyday can be a Saturday or whatever day you want. lol
Wish I could. I always thought I would work til I dropped but after seeing how much I was missing while out hurt, I actually look forward to when I can retire and have more time with the kids and grandkids.

Florida Bowler
06-18-2012, 04:50 PM
A couple of years ago, I took a 2 week vacation for the first time in a long time. I decided then that I am ready to retire. I like the idea of waking up and deciding what to do that day.

billf
06-18-2012, 07:09 PM
If I had a retirement plan at 43, I would retire immediately. Unfortunately it looks like after working full time for 31 years, I have at least another 27 to go. Yes, I have worked full time consistently since 12. It made high school a pain but I graduated and worked full time through college also. That I did on tax payer money while in the Army. Wish we had on-line classes back then!

MICHAEL
06-18-2012, 08:17 PM
My wife said no way to finger tip!! She said she didn't need a better ball, that the plastic was FINE!! Now she has a finger tip and Cyclone bowling ball, and I am not even sure what happened to her plastic ball, its history! She uses her finger tip cyclone for strikes, and spares. And when she is on, Wow... watch out.... very capable of 200 plus game!
Your going to love the finger tip, and wonder why you ever had a conventional grip!! GOOD LUCK!!! (Not that your going to need it!!!) Your game is going to improve a lot!!

panbanger
06-18-2012, 09:23 PM
It came as a surprise to me (but nobody else! ;)) but the new fingertip balls worked out great! It was amazingly easy to get used to them. After a game and a few frames of getting used to the new ball and new grips, I ended up throwing 5 games all between 175 and 190. I had a few turkeys, even a 4 bagger and those are (were?) rare feats for me with my old style. I couldn't believe the power of the strikes I was getting! Plus there was much more pin action with the hook.

billf
06-18-2012, 09:35 PM
Another happy DV8 owner? I don't know why but those balls seem to hit harder than others and the sound is definitely different. The turkeys will be few and far between though.......because you will be getting six packs instead in no time!

panbanger
06-22-2012, 06:54 PM
practiced today for about an hour. I dont really enjoy the Friday afternoon scene at the alley, but today is my last chance to bowl for about a week so I gave it a shot. They put me in the alley next to the senior league that was playing. So on my left I had nice older people having a good time and knew bowling courtesty, and basically a free-for-all on my right. Scores -

171-122-154-166-198

The 122 was rough. The Mom from the family on my right kneeled down a few times right in front of my lane a to take pictures. Kids running up and bowling right as I start my approach....stuff we've all been through before lol

The 198....oh man. I was set for a personal best but then in the 9th frame got the 6-7-10 split. Only hit the 6 on my spare attempt, then got a spare and a 9 in the 10th. After that game I just threw a couple more frames and called it a day.

It's still taking some getting used to with the new ball and new grips. I'm so used to lining up on the far right side, now I line up almost dead center. Quite a few times I found myself drifting to the right during my approach, I guess because I'm just so used to being over there when I release!

billf
06-22-2012, 07:20 PM
Don't be afraid to try and move both your feet and target right. That ball can handle going as far right as the first arrow and hit the pocket on a THS. Drier lanes it goes even stronger. It's also a good way to work on your hook. With that DV8 you will be setting new high games on a regular basis very soon.