PDA

View Full Version : ughhh what causes splits

Etrain
06-15-2012, 12:40 AM
i had 4 in a row today .... is it to much deflection? i bowled with a 14lbs ball.... should i go 15? im afraid it will slow me down

martin
06-15-2012, 12:44 AM
what type of splits are they? and did you hit the pocket?

TheSheibs
06-15-2012, 12:50 AM
4 splits isn't as bad as my 5 splits in one game. It has to do with how high you hit the head pin or the pin action after the ball hits it. It's one of those things that happens. If your ball doesn't curve enough and hit the pocket, you will get a split. If you hit shallow on the pocket you could go through the pins and leave the 10 pin and the 1, 2, 4, 7 or a combination of these pins. (Assuming your right handed, it's opposite for left handed bowlers) Could even end up with two on each side.

Etrain
06-15-2012, 01:02 AM
i was hitting the pocket
7-10
4 6 10

TheSheibs
06-15-2012, 01:06 AM
For the 4 6 10 split I would say that it was just bad pin action. OR your ball could be punching through the pins and not giving you the pin action you need.

Hampe
06-15-2012, 02:13 AM
Ouch....nothing worse than a pocket 7-10. Without seeing the shot it's hard to say what the problem was. It could have just been bad luck.

got_a_300
06-15-2012, 02:22 AM
What is bad which has happened to me was back to back on both lanes 7-10 splits
on pocket hits and then 4 frames later the same exact thing happening again so 4
7-10 splits in one game.

J Anderson
06-15-2012, 07:41 AM
4 splits isn't as bad as my 5 splits in one game. It has to do with how high you hit the head pin or the pin action after the ball hits it. It's one of those things that happens. If your ball doesn't curve enough and hit the pocket, you will get a split. If you hit shallow on the pocket you could go through the pins and leave the 10 pin and the 1, 2, 4, 7 or a combination of these pins. (Assuming your right handed, it's opposite for left handed bowlers) Could even end up with two on each side.

If you hit the pocket you can not leave the one pin. If you do leave the one pin and there is a gap between it and another pin it is technically not a split, its a washout.

J Anderson
06-15-2012, 07:50 AM
i was hitting the pocket
7-10
4 6 10

Pocket 7-10 always seems like bad luck. Might be a bad rack. you could try one of the suggestions for " that dang cold ten pin".

I don't think I've ever seen a good pocket hit leave the 4-6-10 or the 4-6-7. You have to punch it almost straight through the headpin to leave any of the 4-6 combos.

Etrain
06-15-2012, 09:43 AM
i was playing with a medium polished damaged on fresh ths ... i might need a ball for heavier oil, i dont think the ball was biting at all... it was hooking but no strong reaction

Florida Bowler
06-15-2012, 11:54 AM
Sometimes I have a problem with my ball rolling out just before it hit the pins. It looked like a good pocket shot, but stopped hooking and went straight. It would send the head pin to the left instead of directly into the 2, so the 2 would fall straight back, knocking the 4 around the 7.. It would also send the 3 straight back and knock the 6 to the side instead of into the 10. Once somebody pointed it out to me, it became obvious. What wasn't so obvious to me was what to do about it.

billf
06-15-2012, 03:58 PM
Etrain, what was the ball doing AFTER it went through the pocket? Did it hit the 5 and 9? Did it drive THROUGH the 5 and deflect late into the 8. There is actually a lot that you can tell by what happens after it goes through the pocket.

I once left a 7-10 on the odd lane. Changed balls, lines, releases, speed and then left the 7-10 on the even lane. Laughed my butt off. 7-10 is usually bad luck. Think about it, how can you be too deep and too shallow at the same time? Too far right and too far left at the same time? Whatever causes 10 pin leaves, it's the opposite that causes the 7 pin leave. Pin action is wonderful, until it screws us over :rolleyes:

Etrain
06-15-2012, 06:05 PM
Etrain, what was the ball doing AFTER it went through the pocket? Did it hit the 5 and 9? Did it drive THROUGH the 5 and deflect late into the 8. There is actually a lot that you can tell by what happens after it goes through the pocket.

I once left a 7-10 on the odd lane. Changed balls, lines, releases, speed and then left the 7-10 on the even lane. Laughed my butt off. 7-10 is usually bad luck. Think about it, how can you be too deep and too shallow at the same time? Too far right and too far left at the same time? Whatever causes 10 pin leaves, it's the opposite that causes the 7 pin leave. Pin action is wonderful, until it screws us over :rolleyes:

i wasnt paying attention to ball reaction after it hit BUT the lanes were fresh and the ball is set for medium conditions, so i purchased a storm HY-ROAD for medium to heavy oil its had lots of great reviews

billf
06-15-2012, 07:03 PM
The Hy-Road is a good ball but once the lanes get slightly heavier it may not be enough for you.
Try to keep an eye on what the ball does after so you know what adjustment you need to make. Getting to the pocket is only part of the battle. Good luck.