PDA

View Full Version : Cold or Warm does it make a difference?

ahankist
06-15-2012, 01:52 AM
Not sure what to think. This summer I have been bowling consistently better than I did in the winter league. In league I started the year with a 205 average and by February it was down to 195 which is what I ended the year with, and the highest series I had was 680. Now in the summer using the same equipment in the same house I am averaging 223 over 6 weeks and just recently had a 751 series, my first ever. So my question is does the weather outside make a difference to how the pins and balls react? :confused:

Hampe
06-15-2012, 04:01 AM
I know in the alley I play at, the lanes dry up a LOT faster in the summer than in the winter. Also, my fingers are usually different sizes depending on the temperature. Could just be you are having a good run right now, and not have anything to do with the temperature. I know I had a pretty low slump for a few weeks around christmas time, and then played a lot better this spring....not too sure weather played a role, it was just how the season went.

bowl1820
06-15-2012, 10:00 AM
So my question is does the weather outside make a difference to how the pins and balls react? :confused:

The main affect the weather has is on the oil and it's viscosity.When it's colder the oil doesn't spread out has fast as it does in the summer. A lot of house's change the pattern lengths trying to compensate for it.

From Kegel:

. Temperature
Effects on Lane Conditioner - I can't say enough of how important temperature is to lane conditioners. Many people have their theories about how lane conditions change when the weather changes so we decided to get some hard facts.

In early 1997, we conducted several tests to see how much conditioners changed when the temperature was raised or lowered. What we found was eye-opening. The viscosity of some conditioners changed 2 cps (centipoises) for every 1ºF of temperature change. That means if you start with a 20cps (viscosity) conditioner and the temperature drops from 80 ºF to 70ºF, the viscosity of that conditioner would be 40cps. This is not true for all lane conditioners. Some only change 1cp for every 2º F of temperature change. That is only 25% the change as some of the others, BUT regardless of how much they change it's important to know that all of them do.

Temperature affects the molecules of lane conditioners by causing them to slow down when cold or speed up when hot. Think of water turning to ice and water boiling.
Temperature will affect the viscosity, which in turn also changes the flow rate through wicks.
When the viscosity of the conditioner is changed the ball reaction will also be different as a result.
The capillaries in most wicks will shrink up when it gets colder restricting flow

TheSheibs
06-15-2012, 10:33 AM
That explains why I had to change the angle my ball rolled to the pocket the other week. We had some warm weather, 70-84 degrees, and the lanes seemed dry by the second game. Right handed bowlers where able to use their regular shot and I had to adjust the angle my ball went due to not curving as much. My ball still curved but it wasn't as much. What was posted makes sense, especially about the viscosity of the oil. I was kind of wondering the same thing.

martinezsam2495
06-15-2012, 12:45 PM
I'm pretty sure the weather affects the lanes, I've asked the maintenance guy at my local lane, and he said from winter to summer he uses different oil.

TheSheibs
06-15-2012, 01:32 PM
Does a tempeture change affect the ball? Does leaving a ball in the trunk of a car an entire day affect the ball? By this I mean having the tempeture in the 50's and then reaching 90 degrees or higher then back to in the 50's affect the ball like how the tempeture affects the oil viscosity?

bowl1820
06-15-2012, 01:47 PM
Does a tempeture change affect the ball? Does leaving a ball in the trunk of a car an entire day affect the ball? By this I mean having the tempeture in the 50's and then reaching 90 degrees or higher then back to in the 50's affect the ball like how the tempeture affects the oil viscosity?

It affects the ball to an extent.

If you leave it in a hot car it can sweat oil if it had absorbed a lot.

fast temp. changes can crack a ball. Like cooking all day in the car then going into a cold house. or baking it in the oven trying to get the oil out.

A cold ball will hook a fraction less till it warms up, Because it's harder when cold. (That was a old time PBA tournament trick. If you had a too soft ball to pass the hardness check. You put it in the fridge the night before got it cold and bob yours uncle.)

Humidity can cause your thumb to hang in the hole.

billf
06-15-2012, 03:50 PM
I'm pretty sure the weather affects the lanes, I've asked the maintenance guy at my local lane, and he said from winter to summer he uses different oil.

What does he change to? Winter 5w20 and summer 15w40?

bowl1820
06-15-2012, 04:05 PM
What does he change to? Winter 5w20 and summer 15w40?

Your not that far off here's from Kegel:
"If you find temperature changes tend to affect your lane conditions, try to use a lane conditioner that has more resistance to temperature change (higher VI index)."

Click for THE INSIDE LINE: 2010/11/16 - The Weather’s Changing…Are Your Lane Conditions? (http://www.kegel.net/library/foArticles.asp?iKodYazi=72)

martin
06-16-2012, 07:01 AM
even with air conditioning in the house, weather plays its part?

kev3inp
06-16-2012, 11:39 AM
even with air conditioning in the house, weather plays its part?

Sure it does. The temp is not the only thing changing either. The relative humidity can vary a lot as well. Most places up north pump water into the air in the winter to fight the dryness that heating causes and in summer the idea is to get it out of the air so sweat dries faster and you feel cooler. Even from one end of a house to another the lanes can play differently. I know the ones closest to the doors in my center always seem to be dryer than the ones in the middle and I adjust my ball choices accordingly.

eugene02
06-17-2012, 09:45 AM
Country like mine it doesn't plays a part.. 24/7 365 days, all day is the same weather.. Rain / Shine.

billf
06-17-2012, 03:34 PM
Huh? Rain or shine the weather is the same? Eugene, I'm sure you mean the temperature is the same and very well can be but doesn't the barometric pressure and humidity change? I may be wrong but isn't it the changes in atmospheric pressure that allow the clouds to release what's stored inside?

martin
06-18-2012, 01:13 AM
Country like mine it doesn't plays a part.. 24/7 365 days, all day is the same weather.. Rain / Shine.

same here.. but rain/shine, that's still different weather conditions.. lol..
btw, no wonder the lanes feel slightly different when it's raining or when it's hot..

explorer05
02-25-2013, 11:24 PM
For me winter is better. In the summer the houses by the approaches get dry and I have to slide. Dead stop is not fun,