PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good Bowling App

MICHAEL
06-15-2012, 11:08 AM
I recently purchased a Kindle Fire for my wife. It has internet ability, like the apple! What is a great app for keeping bowling records ect, that we, ( my wife and me) can use on her new kindle fire.... I know Jason had one for his phone, can that app work with the kindle fire, or does it have to be a I phone?

We only have internet ability, when in a wi-fi area, or at home hooked up to interent. No sure if Jason's app would work on Kindle Fire?

abishai
06-15-2012, 02:04 PM
If he has a phone that runs the Android OS you can install the same thing on your Kindle Fire. If he's using an iPhone then you'll have to search for the name of the app on the Google Play Store or Amazon App Store and see if it's been ported over.

JaMau24
06-15-2012, 05:40 PM
App I use is called "Best Bowling" if you want to search and see if the kindle will have it

billf
06-15-2012, 07:07 PM
I have a Kindle I seldom use for other than reading. Now the wheels are turning...see the smoke

MICHAEL
06-15-2012, 08:29 PM
I have a Kindle I seldom use for other than reading. Now the wheels are turning...see the smoke

Bill, if you find a good app for Kindle fire, that is similar to Jasons, let me know. I have looked but can't find anything for the Kindle fire!? I will keep up the search!

nev
06-15-2012, 09:32 PM
I use "Bowling ScoreKeeper" on my android phone

MICHAEL
06-15-2012, 11:36 PM
The app I am looking for has to be able to work not on a phone, but the Kindle Fire Its a good size screen and would be great with my bad vision to use at the alley! I have not found anything so far? hummmmmm still looking and researching!!!

JaMau24
06-15-2012, 11:47 PM
I use "Bowling ScoreKeeper" on my android phone

Doesn't Kindle use the android market? If so, shouldn't you be able to get that app, Mike?

MICHAEL
06-16-2012, 01:07 AM
Nope,, we tried downloading it on the Kindle fire, (no luck), then tried to down load on computer no luck!

MICHAEL
06-16-2012, 01:08 AM
I can't find a bowling app for the Kindle Fire..... shoot!!! that would have been a great tool to use!!

martinezsam2495
06-16-2012, 01:11 AM
Most bowling games on the iphone, haven't tested IPAD, but it kind of sucks since it's not as easy to throw it with hook, and it gets more complicated, well the one's I've played. For the Mac there is a game called Gutterball 2 which I have, and that game is pretty fun, you can in a way throw a ball realistically and it will hook depending on the way you throw it.

GeorgiaStroker
06-16-2012, 01:33 AM
The app michael is looking for is not a game but a way of keeping track of your bowling scores and which pins you leave etc....

MICHAEL
06-16-2012, 11:43 AM
Well I give up!! Was up late last night looking for a bowling app to keep track, and records of bowling. I like the one Jason has on his phone, but it does not work on kindle Fire! Any Software guys reading this, that work for Kindle Fire???? Hummmm I thought not….. well I guess I will have to do without! Story of my life! Except for my wonderful Wife!! If anyone does ever get wind of a good bowling software program for my unit, please let me know….. michael

kev3inp
06-16-2012, 11:55 AM
Kindle uses a proprietary version of android, so a lot of droid apps either don't work or work poorly, it seems. There were a lot of pricey apps we looked at when the wife got her tablet, but it's not a kindle.

billf
06-16-2012, 12:03 PM
I searched a lot last night. The only app Amazon HAD for a Kindle is no longer available. It didn't say why just that it' out of stock and not sure if it will be restocked. I did find one for the computer that's free, seems easy to use and can be kept confidential www.bowlsk.com

MICHAEL
06-16-2012, 01:01 PM
I searched a lot last night. The only app Amazon HAD for a Kindle is no longer available. It didn't say why just that it' out of stock and not sure if it will be restocked. I did find one for the computer that's free, seems easy to use and can be kept confidential www.bowlsk.com

Laptop would be a lot more of a pain then just bring the Kindle Fire. It would fit in the side of my bowling bag. Nice to know they do have programs for the computer. I think now, at this point in my bowling game, it would be fun to keep statistics and know exactly when I started going down hill!! Lol
Or what percentages of various combinations I am leaving, number of strikes per game, ect… Wouden’t it be great Bill if someone comes up with a good program for the Kindle!!! I like the convenience and size of the unit!! Would be easy to transport, unlike my laptop.

billf
06-16-2012, 05:29 PM
It would be great but instead of transporting my laptop I plan on writing it all in a small notebook and transferring the info as I want to.

panbanger
06-16-2012, 06:05 PM
I've looked at the ipad/iphone apps available and my question is - when you bowl in a league do you get a printout each week that tracks all of your shots? What pins were left, etc? Because that would make it easier to use these apps...the other option I guess would be to input the data in to the phone between each frame which seemed tedious to me.

Or maybe the bowling alley of the future will be wifi enabled and can transmit the data to our phones automatically :cool:

JaMau24
06-16-2012, 06:25 PM
I've looked at the ipad/iphone apps available and my question is - when you bowl in a league do you get a printout each week that tracks all of your shots? What pins were left, etc? Because that would make it easier to use these apps...the other option I guess would be to input the data in to the phone between each frame which seemed tedious to me.

Or maybe the bowling alley of the future will be wifi enabled and can transmit the data to our phones automatically :cool:

I know that the print outs at our alleys don't show you the specific pins. What you can do is -- Enter what pins you left after each frame. Or, you can remember what pins you left each frame and enter after the game. I do a combination of both. If you get a lot strikes and only have a couple frames where you left some pins, it's easier to remember what pins you left. Also, If it's a single pin, I can remember what pin it was when looking back to that frame. When I leave some crazy, with a lot of pins, I usually enter after the frame so I don't forget.

billf
06-16-2012, 07:35 PM
My teammate enters after every frame as he tracks pocket, brooklyn, pins left, etc What's annoying is when he gets back after a spare shot and asks what was left. Are you serious, you were just looking at it?!

kev3inp
06-17-2012, 11:11 AM
I've seen people use an app on a palm pilot that was pretty detailed, but do they even make that any longer? I can't even remember what it was called, but I think WRW was using it, too, for a while.

kev3inp
06-17-2012, 11:16 AM
Here's a page of apps that came up in a search: http://www.androidzoom.com/android_applications/bowling+score
There seems to be quite a bit for iphone, though. :(

kev3inp
06-17-2012, 11:22 AM
The palm pilot one was called "Frames." Damn, can't edit again. It seems it comes and goes.

MICHAEL
06-18-2012, 12:22 AM
Bill ,,, now that you don’t have to build/design a bowling machine that does on demand pin setting!! How about designing a App, for the Kindle, that does all the cool stuff that Jasons does on his android phone!! I don’t know if its because the Kindle is relatively new, or just no demand for the product. But it would be sweet, on the kindle, as it is much larger then the phones!

Hampe
06-18-2012, 07:23 AM
I use My Lane Play on Android.....the full version costs like 6-7 bucks, but it's a nice little app. If you bowl seriously it's a good idea to keep track of your games. It really helps you utilise your practice time well (knowing exactly what spares you need to practice).

TheSheibs
06-18-2012, 01:31 PM
I use a free app for Ipad, Bowling Score Tracker. You enter the data either by game or by frame. It allows for a total, average, handicap, number of times you bowl a certain score, times you picked up any spare and how many pins for that spare, a percentage for strikes and spares by game and overall. It works for what I want it for. I don't care too much about which pin was left but wither I picked it up or not. The reason I use this app is because it was free and you can't beat free.

VampyreBowler
09-17-2012, 04:04 PM
I use an IPAD 2 and have one called PinPal. Very detailed stat keeper. Has options for Tourney, League, and open bowling. Can input either by total score, frame count like 8/ or by actual pins. Can view stats bases on whether its League/Tourney/Open/Ball used/House bowled/ or most anything else. Omly thing I wished it would do is breakdown by lane. There is also an option to post to Facebook and twitter but those are not working right now.

Greenday
09-17-2012, 05:43 PM
I'm using the free version of "Good Bowler Stats" on my Droid. I enter each frame as I go. You can put in different leagues to track different averages. For instance, I just started using it at my league last week. So it shows my average, total games, high game, high series. Number of strikes, strike chances, strike percentage, most strikes in a row. For spares, it shows number of spares, number of spare chances, and spare percentage. Then you can view graphs showing scores by which game it was (first, second, etc.), series scores by date, strikes/spares/opens each game, and then spares/opens for single pin spare shots.

The version that costs money supposedly includes: tracking which ball you used for each throw, your mark, your feet position. You can break down stats per ball. I guess it'll show multipin spare stats. And the app only costs $0.99.

75lockwood
09-17-2012, 06:09 PM
Michael, would you have internet access at the ally? if so a web app would be easy enough to program, the only issue being where to host it...

75lockwood
09-17-2012, 06:14 PM
Another thought, whats the name of the app for IOS? i can look into porting it to kindle for you....

75lockwood
09-17-2012, 06:20 PM
Hmm, it appears to be extremely easy to side load android apps to a kindle fire, if there is a good tracker app in the android market i can help you load it.

Does anyone have a good android app for score tracking?

Micheal, do you use an instant messenger? is so add me: brl1995@hotmail.com

Hampe
09-18-2012, 03:07 AM
I use My Lane Play....it costs a few bucks but you can track a bunch of stuff like which alley, league, ball you were using, etc. You can track all your spare stats, not just the ones you made or missed but how you missed them (for example if you often miss the 3-6-10 by getting just the 3-6). Entering in the info is pretty easy too. It's got a free version if you want to try it first but I think you can only track a few games with it.

Siddy
09-18-2012, 08:02 AM
I dont know how if this can be done on the fire but on my android phone there are some apps i cant install because or restrictions. But if i down load the .APK file of the app place it on my SD card i can install it manually install the program and works.

This is the APK of the bowling scorekeeper http://android.m.brothersoft.com/bowling_scorekeeper-113816-downloading.html There is a security setting you might have turn off first. "Unknown sources: Allow installation of non-market apps" If the fire has that setting just turn it on and you should be able to install

75lockwood
09-18-2012, 09:12 AM
Alright Micheal, first go to the link siddy provided, download the apk file and save it on your desktop, then follow the guide at the following link to load the app on the kindle fire. http://www.tested.com/news/feature/3179-how-to-sideload-android-apps-on-the-amazon-kindle-fire-in-3-steps/

*Note* not all android apps will work on the kindle due to certain api's being missing in the kindle coding, if you have any trouble let me know and I can help you out.

Ben

MisterSinister
09-18-2012, 08:40 PM
I keep my stats on my phone with Strike Out Stats. I love it. I used the trial version for a while, and liked it so much I paid the $5 for the full version. It's the only app I've ever paid for.

MICHAEL
09-19-2012, 10:22 PM
Alright Micheal, first go to the link siddy provided, download the apk file and save it on your desktop, then follow the guide at the following link to load the app on the kindle fire. http://www.tested.com/news/feature/3179-how-to-sideload-android-apps-on-the-amazon-kindle-fire-in-3-steps/

*Note* not all android apps will work on the kindle due to certain api's being missing in the kindle coding, if you have any trouble let me know and I can help you out.

Ben

It's my wifes Kindle Fire! She is in bed, its ( 9/19) and 9:22 kansas city time! I will give it a try and get back with you! Thanks for taking the time!! Hope it works! If it does, I think I will get a New Kindle Fire!! I want to be able to keep records, and display on line like Jason does with his Android! Thanks again!!

MICHAEL
09-19-2012, 10:35 PM

Ben

Michael, would you have internet access at the ally? if so a web app would be easy enough to program, the only issue being where to host it...

good question! I will check it out! NOT sure if we have access or not!

MICHAEL
09-19-2012, 10:59 PM
Great app..... Can this be made to work with the Kindle Fire?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bruno.myapps.strikeoutstats&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEwMiw iY29tLmJydW5vLm15YXBwcy5zdHJpa2VvdXRzdGF0cyJd

kurowah
09-19-2012, 11:23 PM
I am currently using BowlSK. However these other apps look nice. All incentives for me to purchase a smart phone.....or better yet...a kindle fire.. =p

75lockwood
09-20-2012, 09:18 AM
Great app..... Can this be made to work with the Kindle Fire?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bruno.myapps.strikeoutstats&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEwMiw iY29tLmJydW5vLm15YXBwcy5zdHJpa2VvdXRzdGF0cyJd

What i would do is use the guide i provide to test with the demo version of this app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bruno.myapps.strikeoutstatsfree&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwMiw iY29tLmJydW5vLm15YXBwcy5zdHJpa2VvdXRzdGF0c2ZyZWUiX Q..) if the demo works there is a good chance the paid version will.

75lockwood
09-24-2012, 05:40 PM
Any update on this? I'm interested in knowing whether anyone was able to get one of these apps going on a kindle

Peri
09-24-2012, 06:43 PM
I have a kindle fire and have been looking since I first saw this thread and I have come up with nothing :(

75lockwood
09-24-2012, 06:45 PM
I have a kindle fire and have been looking since I first saw this thread and I have come up with nothing :(

Did you try the guide in the link i posted?

Keithalw
03-01-2013, 07:16 AM
Did you try the guide in the link i posted?
I will be trying it a little later on this afternoon when my daughter decides to take a nap lol.. I have downloaded stuff from places like 4shared.com but never tried side loading it like your talking bout but willing to give it a try... Thats the only thing I didnt like about the kindle is I though that it would be same apps as android but oh well... I know someone said to root it to get google play but im not sure how to do that or if I want to...

Keithalw
03-02-2013, 06:25 AM
I got it side loaded and seems to be working fine for me.