PDA

View Full Version : getting (re)started

shane
06-15-2012, 11:12 AM
Hi,

I used to bowl a lot--bowled in tourneys, pro ams, scratch leagues etc. However, that was 15 years ago. Well, Ive recently gotten the itch to bowl again. So, I got my equipment out and got ready to go bowling--easy right? Yeah--problem is, all 6 bowling balls were cracked open like eggs. I guess they didnt appreciate the heat in my attic.

So, now I get to buy some new bowling balls. I know the game and conditions have to have changed a lot in 15+ years-but I was hoping that if I give you some information on what my game was like back then you could make some recommendations on new equipment.

Bowling style---four step approach-not much slide--big hook, lots of revs. Stand way left of center-aim at right gutter and drill the pocket. two finger--fingertip--and I use thumb--pretty conventional style. Little bit of loft at release.

Bowling balls that I used before were; Columbia 'yellow dot Legend', Rhino Pro 'purple', blue peral Hammer, a Columbia white dot--used for spares-- and some sort of green Storm--I also had a couple of balls that were called 'experimental' when I got them--they were not sold retail and had a hodge podge of core vs cover---a common theme with the balls was that I couldnt use anything that was designed to have high grip-it would just hook way too much to be usable.

What I plan to do is go into a pro shop and talk to someone about what they recommend--just thought I would do a little research before I got there. I plan to buy two balls-a strike ball and a spare ball--I dont really have a budget in mind. Probably go with 15lb.

Thanks in advance.

By the way, I did go bowling a few days ago---had to use a house ball-first time Ive ever done that. Bowled two games with my son, first was a 147, second was a 189 and included four in a row in the middle of the second game. If I had to bowl with a house ball I wouldnt bowl--hand was killing me by the end of the second game.

Florida Bowler
06-15-2012, 11:22 AM
Welcome back to the sport! I myself am taking the summer to get my body used to bowling again. I plan on joining a league in the fall and I want to be close to the 175 average I had a few years ago.

As far as ball selection goes, I'm afraid that I can't help too much there. I'm still using the Ebonite Tiger I got 10-12 years ago.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress!

The German Shepherd
06-15-2012, 11:36 AM
Having just comeback to the game after a 17 year lay-off, I am right there with you. When I came back this year, I quickly realized that the technology of the game had passed me by completely. A fellow from my Church gave me a used Storm Hy-Road which I got re-drilled and from that point I was "hooked." After some study, I figured I needed a highly aggressive reactive ball, a less aggressive one and a Polyester spare ball. Following the recommendations of my local pro (who had watched me bowl and helped me get some of my mechanics back...), I got a Roto Grip Critical Theory (HIGHLY aggressive with a very angular break point), a Storm Reign Supreme (not as aggressive as the Critical Theory and a more gradual hook but still aggressive and hard hitting), and then a Storm Black Ice which does not hook. All of my balls are now 15 lbs. No need for a heavier ball...these new reactive balls hit harder and hook more. No need for a 16 and as a matter of fact, I leave fewer solid 9 pins with a 15.

Sounds to me like your shot is similar to mine.

Jay

TheSheibs
06-15-2012, 01:45 PM
I agree. I had a 11year "vacation" from bowling due to serving in the Coast Guard. I got out and found myself with extra time. VSo while working full time and working at an online degree, I decided to get back into bowling. I noticed how much the balls have changed and also that there is more to the lanes now as far as oil patterns go. I was using an old Ebonite ball from my youth days where I averaged a 154 my last year. I did a winter league and averaged 119 with the old ball and noticed it wasn't curving like it use to. Went to a near by pro shop and picked up a used ball that was a little heavier, Brunswick Ambush. That moved my average to a 124. Started a summer league and noticed that I had to fight ths ball to curve and took it to the pro shop to find out that it was drilled to work more as a spare ball. So now I am using a Columbia 300 Freeze Hybrid with a finger tip grip. After two weeks of adjusting, I bowled my all time high game of 255. I have noted that it is best to ask a pro shop for advice on what ball to get. Also look at the different patterns used to see how it affects the ball.v then watch some people throw a few balls to see how the ball is moving down the lane.

Oh, and welcome back to the game.

GeorgiaStroker
06-15-2012, 01:53 PM
Best idea is to watch the bowlers that have a similar style as you in the center you bowl at the most and see what equipment they are using. Talk to them and see how their ball is laid out, who drilled it etc... Not only will you get a good idea of what to look for in a ball but you might make a few new bowling buddies.

billf
06-15-2012, 03:22 PM
One issue that seems over looked here quite often; watching what a bowler today does and comparing it to form from years ago. It's easier today to hook a ball. So if you see someone hooking like you use to today, what they use may be way too strong. Another thing, some pro shops might suggest a ball that they make the most money on rather than the one that would work the best. I wouldn't have thought so before but given the posts here it seems to be all too common. Also, what would you guess your speed to be? Do you have a manufacturer preference? They all make great balls quality wise. I don't know if your area pro shop has any pre-drilled balls you could try out but if there is a shop any where near you that does, I would suggest that. Given the info above I wouldn't expect you to need too aggressive a ball for leagues. Tournaments would depend on the oil patterns you play.

GeorgiaStroker
06-15-2012, 04:25 PM
Good point Bill, hadn't thought of it that way. At any rate a good plan is to start with a used or at least entry level ball to get an idea about how your form stacks up with the new equipment and you can always trade up if you need a higher performance ball.

shane
06-23-2012, 06:44 PM
i purchased a new ball today. i think i was treated very well by the pro shop. i went to randy at the oasis bowling center in loganville ga. i tried to buy two or three balls and he wouldnt have it--he didnt want me to waste money on extra balls until i saw what i would need from the first one.

i had never had the speed of my ball measured, it was 15-16 mph on strike balls and 19 on right side spare shots according to the monitor at the lane.

I bowled with several different balls and then purchased a Storm Frantic . i bowled 5 games and averaged around 185. i have a lot of work ahead of me to get back into my previous form. i was sloppy and not consistent with my shot. four strikes in a row-then an open-then a couple spares-then three in a row-open-etc. not bad but its got to get better. my wrist, left hip and most of the rest of my body is feeling it right now--im not as young as i used to be-lol.

billf
06-23-2012, 10:06 PM
The Frantic is a good bench mark ball (in my opinion). I am very glad to hear the pro shop treated so well and actually take pride in customers getting what they need to improve rather than just letting them purchase what they may not need.
Now my question; did you find it easier to hook the ball with today's equipment? Do you still have the revs like before? These are just to serve my own quizzical curiosity.

shane
06-23-2012, 10:15 PM
The Frantic is a good bench mark ball (in my opinion). I am very glad to hear the pro shop treated so well and actually take pride in customers getting what they need to improve rather than just letting them purchase what they may not need.
Now my question; did you find it easier to hook the ball with today's equipment? Do you still have the revs like before? These are just to serve my own quizzical curiosity.

the hook was similar--but i do think the revs were less than they used to be.