PDA

View Full Version : Looking to get back into bowling, need a new ball....

7mmSTW
06-17-2012, 03:28 PM
New to the site, Hello to all

I used to bowl a lot in late high school and early years of college, but i stopped for about 3 years now, and i recently went to play and i feel like i would like to get back into the sport

i used to have my own ball (it cracked when i was moving...sad day) it was a 12 pounder, i really like the weight, i feel that i can control it well

the ball i had gave me about a foot of hook and i like that but a little more would be nice, i know that depends on how you drill the ball

but im looking to spend 100 - 200 on a ball

just need some recommendations,
thank you

billf
06-17-2012, 03:39 PM
Knowing your style and speed would be helpful. However, if you are a typical low rev, low to medium speed stroker then I would recommend the Misfit by DV8. This is a strong entry level ball that you should be able to purchase with grips/drilling at your pro shop for around $130 depending on location. This is using the average of $55 for tips/drilling plus the cost of the ball. This ball is currently on bowlingball.com for $74.95. The price listed at most pro shops includes drilling which makes them appear more expensive than the internet when in actuality it is around the same.

GeorgiaStroker
06-17-2012, 03:43 PM
Unless you have a physical problem that would prevent the use of a heavier ball I would recommend you consider at least a 14lb ball if not a 15lb. The difference between 12 an 14 pounds in pin carry alone could be 20 pins per game. Other than that you should look at an entry level ball suited for the oil conditions at the center you will be bowling at most often. Do you throw a fingertip grip or conventional?

7mmSTW
06-17-2012, 04:00 PM
Unless you have a physical problem that would prevent the use of a heavier ball I would recommend you consider at least a 14lb ball if not a 15lb. The difference between 12 an 14 pounds in pin carry alone could be 20 pins per game. Other than that you should look at an entry level ball suited for the oil conditions at the center you will be bowling at most often. Do you throw a fingertip grip or conventional?

Fingertip is what i had the previous ball done in, i will consider a 14# i have been told i needed to increase my ball weight

7mmSTW
06-17-2012, 04:05 PM
Knowing your style and speed would be helpful. However, if you are a typical low rev, low to medium speed stroker then I would recommend the Misfit by DV8. This is a strong entry level ball that you should be able to purchase with grips/drilling at your pro shop for around $130 depending on location. This is using the average of $55 for tips/drilling plus the cost of the ball. This ball is currently on bowlingball.com for $74.95. The price listed at most pro shops includes drilling which makes them appear more expensive than the internet when in actuality it is around the same.

looks like a good choice, i will keep a open mind into that, as for ball speed, hard to say i used to through 12# 16-17, ill have to check what the local proshop carries

martinezsam2495
06-17-2012, 08:45 PM
Yeah I would say to go up to a 14, or 15 pound ball. It carries more pins as the person above said, and it gives you more control of a hook, because when you throw a lighter ball, for me it seems to hook a lot earlier,

7mmSTW
06-17-2012, 08:58 PM
ok that makes since, any other ball recommendations?