PDA

View Full Version : Bowling ball versus excessive heat

panbanger
06-20-2012, 12:41 PM
With the summer upon us (at least here in Texas anyway), I am wondering if excessive heat will damage a new bowling ball. If I want to hit the alley on my way home from work, is it okay to leave my bowling balls in my car trunk during the day while I'm at work? Figure the temperature will be around 120 or so in the car I guess. Maybe even hotter than that come August! :eek:

martinezsam2495
06-20-2012, 12:42 PM
It could, if you leave it exposed to the sun, but as for the heat just affecting it through the trunk, I highly doubt any serious damage would be done.

EboniteKid299
06-20-2012, 04:50 PM
I always hear that either too much heat or too much cold could lead to bowling ball damage I know for sure that the cold leads to cracking but I am not sure about heat 120 degrees sounds like it could hurt it cause that's pretty hot

bowl1820
06-20-2012, 05:27 PM
The thing with heat is uneven heating and/or rapid temperature changes this is what leads to cracking.

While it would be best not to leave them in the car, if you have them in the trunk in a normal ball bag you should be alright. I might throw a beach towel over the bag, to make a extra air pocket around the bag.

If you are really worried and if you have a insulated cooler just throw your balls in it or get a couple cheap styrofoam coolers they would fit in.

billf
06-20-2012, 10:30 PM
I went out today and it was 92 outside. I checked my trunk with an infra-red thermometer and it was on 74. So I took the balls I wanted to use tonight and laid them in the sun for an hour before soaking them in the sink during lunch.
Some trunks heat up more than others but a simple thermometer hanging in there would let you know how well insulated yours is.