PDA

View Full Version : random tips- lets hear them

Hot_pocket
06-20-2012, 01:20 PM
I always like to hear different tips from everyone so share for everyone.

striker12
06-20-2012, 03:23 PM
ok my #1 tip dont hit your ankle with your bowling ball when your trying a spare shot (i have done this) it hurts but it was manly because i released the ball alittle to early.

vgw
06-20-2012, 03:26 PM
Develop a routine for each shot to keep in rhythm and not rush your shot or make some other mental mistake.

billf
06-20-2012, 11:05 PM
Read the technique section of the forum where all the tips have been posted before? lol
Sing a song, in your head, on the approach to help with tempo and letting the mind go blank.
Practice, practice, practice...but with a purpose.
Maintain your equipment properly.
Above all else, ALWAYS HAVE FUN

Hampe
06-21-2012, 02:59 AM
- Like someone else said, developing a pre-shot routine is very important. It's just like shooting free throws in basketball....you wan't to have the same exact routine every time.

- Don't dwell on bad shots or bad breaks. Forget them and move on to and concentrate on the next shot.

- Don't be afraid to trust your judgement and adjust....if you think the lane's drying up and it's time to move left (or right for you lefties)...do it! Adjusting 1 frame too early is better than doing it 5-10 frames too late.

- Set challenging but reachable goals for yourself. Write them down and keep track of them. It can be goals for the whole season, a tournament, or even just a practice session (for example, "today I'm going to convert the 10 pin 70% of the time").

The German Shepherd
06-21-2012, 11:30 AM
Have a short memory...forget the bad shots and don't get too amped up over the good ones.

jay

vgw
06-21-2012, 11:58 AM
Have a short memory...forget the bad shots and don't get too amped up over the good ones.

jay

I don't necessarily agree with this one but I completely understand what you're saying. I try to remember all of my shots, good or bad. For me, if I make a bad shot, it often helps me focus to make good ones. I think the main point is not to let your emotions screw you up. Don't get too messed up in the head or don't get too cocky.

The German Shepherd
06-21-2012, 12:08 PM
I don't necessarily agree with this one but I completely understand what you're saying. I try to remember all of my shots, good or bad. For me, if I make a bad shot, it often helps me focus to make good ones. I think the main point is not to let your emotions screw you up. Don't get too messed up in the head or don't get too cocky.

That is correct. I have seen dozens upon dozens of players get so angry with a bad shot or a tap that it totally messes them up for the rest of the series...

Jay

Hot_pocket
06-25-2012, 09:50 AM
Lol I've done that it hurts like hell.

Hot_pocket
06-25-2012, 09:52 AM
Cool nice tips. ..didn't notice they had a forum for tips /techniques I'm new to this. .....I actually saw one kid in a tournament at nutmeg bowl in ct who talked to himself every shot as the way to keep tempo....

J Anderson
06-25-2012, 11:11 AM
Cool nice tips. ..didn't notice they had a forum for tips /techniques I'm new to this. .....I actually saw one kid in a tournament at nutmeg bowl in ct who talked to himself every shot as the way to keep tempo....

Is Nutmeg your home center or were you just visiting? I'm usually there at least once a week.

billf
06-25-2012, 12:35 PM
Cool nice tips. ..didn't notice they had a forum for tips /techniques I'm new to this
I didn't mean it in a wise *** way or to be sarcastic. There are a lot of tips there that probably won't get re-posted here.

TheSheibs
06-25-2012, 01:58 PM
I agree that having a short memory and not thinking about the bad shots or good shots for too long is a good thing. If you just got a strike and are thinking about how much you want another one, odds are you will do something subconsciously that will be a mistake and you will not get a strike on your next attempt. This brings me to my tip.

Don't over-think or over-analyze what you last frame or the frame before that, or about what you did your last game.

DanielMareina
06-25-2012, 07:36 PM
The two best pieces of advice I can add to the thread:

#1: If anything is going wrong, SLOW DOWN. My dad told me this for a decade before I understood that when I think too much, I speed up. Slow down fixes my bowling, my slice on the golf course, and whatever else you feel like using it for. Sounds simple, but trust me, if I had someone that said slow down every 15 minutes to me, I would be a better bowler/golfer.

#2: Watch everyone's shots, not just your own. You are not the only one moving the oil around. Pay attention to where other people are playing, what balls they are using, and what success/lack there of they are having. Your shots are important for your form, release, speed, and ball choice. The lane determines a lot of things too. I can't tell you how many times someone says, I can't believe the lanes changed after just one shot. THEY DIDN'T, 7 other people are bowling on your pair too! Pay attention to everything, and you will be better informed on what adjustments to make.

Etrain
06-25-2012, 08:06 PM

#1: If anything is going wrong, SLOW DOWN. My dad told me this for a decade before I understood that when I think too much, I speed up. Slow down fixes my bowling, my slice on the golf course, and whatever else you feel like using it for. Sounds simple, but trust me, if I had someone that said slow down every 15 minutes to me, I would be a better bowler/golfer.

i agree 1000% .... i slowed down my shot and it helped alot then i slowly added power to where i feel comfortable

panbanger
06-26-2012, 01:25 PM
I always keep a tin of mints in my bag. Having a mint will keep me from needing a drink of soda for a few frames. I always seem to over-do the rosin bag after my hand gets a little moisture on it from taking a drink. Even when I take drinks with my non-bowling hand, I get nervous about getting moisture on the ball, etc.

Hot_pocket
07-26-2012, 06:35 PM
Sorry billf didnt mean it like that i really didnt know lol.

Hot_pocket
07-26-2012, 06:37 PM
no its not i just bowled the thanksgiving classic there one year as a junior bowler. I actually live in the bronx and my home center is White Plains lanes.

RoccoRock
07-27-2012, 11:12 AM
Here's a tip I was thinking of today, and I want to hear everyones opinion on this. Bowling is not poker, you make your own luck. If you are leaving the 10 pin, or the 7 constantly, you are more than likley doing something wrong. Can you get bad breaks, sure, but if in 10 frames you leave the 10 pin 4 times, it's not the lanes, it's not bad luck, it's you, or maybe your ball choice. I'll never forget this guy in my league this year, he left 2 splits, and the 10 pin twice, and turned to me in the 10th and said, man this should be a perfect game. Really? Ok, you had some bad leaves, but what about those 2 Brooklyn strikes? I guess the tip should actually be, you need to be able to tell the difference between "bad luck," and your mistakes.

Tampabaybob
07-27-2012, 11:27 PM

#2: Watch everyone's shots, not just your own. You are not the only one moving the oil around. Pay attention to where other people are playing, what balls they are using, and what success/lack there of they are having. Your shots are important for your form, release, speed, and ball choice. The lane determines a lot of things too. I can't tell you how many times someone says, I can't believe the lanes changed after just one shot. THEY DIDN'T, 7 other people are bowling on your pair too! Pay attention to everything, and you will be better informed on what adjustments to make.

Dan....

Both tips are extremely good tips. If I may add to yours..

1. When you're having problems, big problems scoring, GO BACK TO BASICS. Stop trying to force your shot and go back to your comfort zone and relax. Lose the tension in your body and it will, should, eventually come back to you. We all 'slowly' fall into bad habits without realizing it, and find that we end up beating ourselves. Simplify everything and tell yourself "Just make a good shot".

2. Whenever I have shot a tournament, and there have been hundreds, I've always gone in to the lanes early and walked the lanes, looking at what the other bowlers are shooting for equipment and where they're playing. Look for the guys that are carrying and playing approximately the same area as you do. It'll save you precious time in trying to figure out where you should start.

Bob