PDA

View Full Version : Motiv Ascent Pearl-Exactly as Advertised

Dugbark
06-24-2012, 02:32 PM
Bowler Stats-Ball Speed 15.5 MPH Rev Rate-App 280 Axis of Rotation-30 to 60 degrees Axis Tilt 9 degrees Right Handed PAP-5 over, 1/4" up

The Motiv Ascent Pearl is designed for light oil patterns. The ball is exactly as advertised for me. It pushes through the heads with ease unless all the oil (and I mean all) is gone and even when it finds friction, does not rush to slow down and change direction. When the ball finds friction it makes a continuous move to the pocket that appears to become stronger as it makes it's move. For me it has a late roll like the Recon Pearl but a move to the pocket that is not angular but strong. It does not cover as many boards as any ball in the Motiv line except for the Recon Pearl, but the move is strong enough to produce the needed angle to the pocket to strike even in the dryest conditions. I am able up the boards, or swing it out to the dry when the shot has burned out. This ball gives me a piece of equipment I have confidence in when the heads and mids are burnt. Because of my lower ball speed and rotation, the Recon Pearl was often too weak for me to strike when it was the needed ball. The Ascent Pearl gives me a piece of equipment to get down the lane and strike, enabling me to compete with the high speed/higher rev rate players. I think it will be a great match up for me in long format tournaments or when bowling with the younger (and very talented) players. I used the ball on the broken down house shot in a singles tournament and was able to play 5th arrow (not something I do often) to finish second in a strong event. I can not use the Ascent Pearl before it's time or I have lots of weak hit. The ball carried surprisingly well from that deep and I had area the others I was bowling with did not have in the tournament.

If you use this ball as designed, that is on light oil patterns, or patterns broken down by league or tournament play, it will be a very effective ball. To throw it on a fresh THS will require moving everything right to find the friction early, which many bowlers are not very comfortable with. The Ascent Pearl gives Motiv a piece that I like much better for burnt lanes, and I think we senior strokers and tweeners will all feel that way. The Ascent Pearl is not as strong as the QZ1/QZ2 series but does cover more boards then then the Recon Pearl.

I'm very colorblind but the Neomark Graphic makes the ball very pleasing to the eye and give it good shelf appeal, though I have heard a number of comments about the pink in the ball :-).

Dug Barker
Motiv Staffer
BTM Youth Writer
Ken Bowl Lanes Youth Director
Positive Coaching Alliance Double Goal Coach
BWAA Member
SWBA Member
NCBCA Member
USBC Silver
2003 GLBA Youth Coach of the Year