PDA

View Full Version : Motiv Ascent Solid-Stronger Than Expected

Dugbark
06-24-2012, 02:34 PM
Bowler Stats-Ball Speed 15.5 MPH Rev Rate-App 280 Axis of Rotation-30 to 60 degrees Axis Tilt 9 degrees Right Handed PAP-5 over,

1/4" up

The Motiv Ascent Solid is designed for light oil patterns. The ball is in fact a little bit stronger then a light oil ball for me.

It pushes through the heads with ease unless all the oil is gone but picks up a very early but smooth roll. When the ball finds

friction it makes a continuous move to the pocket. For me it has an early roll like the Raptor but a move to the pocket that is

much less angular. It does not cover as many boards as the higher end balls in the Motiv line, but the move is strong enough to

produce the needed angle to the pocket to strike. I am able up the boards, swing it out to the dry or play an tight inside shot.

This ball is very versatile for me. The ball creates a lot of room on broken down house shots for me and I am excited to see how

it will play on shorter sport patterns. I think it will be a great match up for me. I used the ball on the broken down BTM

pattern this year and found I had a great look using the fallback shot, which is playing it off the left corner and rolling it at

the 3 pin. The ball carried surprisingly well from that deep and I actually had area the others I was bowling with did not have.

If you use this ball as designed, that is on patterns that have light oil in the heads for higher speed players and medium oil in

the heads for the rest of us, or broken down by league or tournament play, it will be a very effective ball. To throw it on a fresh

THS will require throwing out it to the dry, which many bowlers are very comfortable with. The Ascent Solid gives Motiv a piece

of equipment for Motiv believers as a step between the Sigma Hybrid and the Backdraft, when it is too much and the Hybrid, for when

it is too little for the backdraft. For me it is a stronger ball then the QZ1/QZ2 Series.

I'm very colorblind but the Neomark Graphic makes the ball very pleasing to the eye and give it good shelf appeal.

Dug Barker
Motiv Staffer
BTM Youth Writer
Ken Bowl Lanes Youth Director
Positive Coaching Alliance Double Goal Coach
BWAA Member
SWBA Member
NCBCA Member
USBC Silver
2003 GLBA Youth Coach of the Year