PDA

View Full Version : subbing and the plan of attack

billf
06-25-2012, 10:55 PM
I'm subbing in a 9 pin no tap league tomorrow before my regular league. I will only use two ball. My Storm Natural Pearl and Storm Ice plastic spare ball. I talked to the alley owner tonight and found out that the lanes will be oiled in the morning. A senior league and open bowling for 5 hours before we start. He said he doesn't oil before the no tap league because it's a no tap league. Guess he doesn't want to have to oil before all three leagues on Tuesdays. Any way, I plan to play straight up the 3-5 board with some speed. I will try to record it and post the scores when I'm done for the night. Last time I played when the lanes were that dry I was hooking both the urethane and plastic across too many boards (shouldn't have to lay down at 30, cross the 15 and break at the 8 with those balls) I've been working on increasing my speed while reducing revs so I guess tomorrow is a good test.

J Anderson
06-25-2012, 11:02 PM
Will they oil between the no-tap and your regular league. That should be the second part of the test, to see how quickly you can get back to your regular game.

billf
06-25-2012, 11:11 PM
Yes they will. I still don't think they did last week though but I did specifically ask that question. Probably use the same line but start with a Hell Raiser then the Nexxus. If I'm too tired to throw at a good speed then I will have to move left. The hardest for me is playing far right then moving far left. That's why at times I will play one lane at each extreme during the summer.

JaMau24
06-25-2012, 11:41 PM
Awesome. Look forward to the video.

The German Shepherd
06-26-2012, 08:26 AM
It will be interesting to see how you do. My bowling house oils the lanes maybe three times each WEEK...

Jay

TheSheibs
06-26-2012, 01:23 PM
2 questions. First, why not bowl the no-tap games just like you would regular games? Why change what you are doing? 9 is as good as a strike so why not do what you normally do for a strike? Second question, How many games do you bowl during practice? If you bowl six or more games during practice, I would imagine that you should be fine bowling in both leagues and the only way you might feel tired is if you had a long day. I know the second and third game during my league can feel very long and i'm tired when I have a long day.

GeorgiaStroker
06-26-2012, 01:30 PM
If I read the original post correctly there was a league and open bowling before the no tap. The lanes would probably be toast during the no tap so Bill is changing his shot. The lanes are to be oiled before Bill's regular league, so his shot will be different from the one he played on the dry lanes.

billf
06-26-2012, 04:18 PM
You are correct. I'm planning on well done, burn toast. Hence hooking plastic:p
TheShiebs, 1. Summer is non-sanctioned so I change lines at a whim. What better way to learn how to play outside the comfort zone? I got the front 6 a few weeks ago, was bored with that line and moved 30 left. No money involved so I don't care too much.
2. When out was out on comp 30-40 games a day was nothing. Now back to work and issues with the oldest and her husband I'm getting less than 2 hours of sleep a night. I replaced two sets of cylinder heads and a transmission today so it depends on how bad I stiffen up on the drive to the alley (28 miles from work). Also, I normally practice 4-6 games during the summer. We get 3 free a day for bowling summer league. During the fall/winter league I buy a pass for unlimited bowling ($25). It's not available during the summer or I would then too.
May 5th I bowled at a clinic for about 6 hours, drove to league and was tight the whole night. That drive was an hour so we shall see.

TheSheibs
06-26-2012, 04:24 PM
Well, all I have to say is that I hope you can stay loose and do well. Also maybe some coffee or other beverage that helps people have a littl bit more energy is in order. Good luck. Don't forget to post how you do.

billf
06-26-2012, 11:10 PM
Well I didn't do as well as I had hoped. There was actually some oil but I stayed with my plan 202, 270, 238 for a 710 series using my Storm Natural Pearl urethane the whole series. I never started left of the fifth board with a straight up lay down. The guy I was up against had a 70 pin handicap but I still took all three games and totals. It's 100% of 230. Fair for 9 pin no tap. Game two I had the first 7. Eighth frame my step with my left foot going into my slide I hit my heel early, stuck hard and it went into the gutter. Picked up the spare and then struck out. I had a ton of splits and missed every one of them. My spare game was so far off I even missed the 6-10 a few times. My daughter rolled her usual 800+ series. She gets more movement out of her Reckless than most do out of high performance balls. She is a low speed, high rev, 60 degree rotation bowler. She was on lanes 9 & 10 while I was on 11 & 12 so I got to see her bowl a ton. Due to the location of my lanes I couldn't record it. The bathrooms are behind those lanes. It's so tight that the seats for those lanes are behind the tables for 9 & 10.

My regular league wasn't any good either. 224, 246, 213 683 series. Used the Hell Raiser Revenge and Nexxus for them. Played from the 45th board, across 23 with a break point of 8 with the HRR. Nexxus was 30 across 15 break at 8. That's not a typo either. I was 5 board left of the gutter.

My normal league wasn't any better either. Used the Hell Raiser Revenge and Nexxus 226,

The German Shepherd
06-27-2012, 04:08 PM
I would die for those kinds of scores at this point. I have been in a slump now for 7 weeks and am just beginning to see daylight again.

Nice scores for sure. NEVER complain about a 700..

Jay

Well I didn't do as well as I had hoped. There was actually some oil but I stayed with my plan 202, 270, 238 for a 710 series using my Storm Natural Pearl urethane the whole series. I never started left of the fifth board with a straight up lay down. The guy I was up against had a 70 pin handicap but I still took all three games and totals. It's 100% of 230. Fair for 9 pin no tap. Game two I had the first 7. Eighth frame my step with my left foot going into my slide I hit my heel early, stuck hard and it went into the gutter. Picked up the spare and then struck out. I had a ton of splits and missed every one of them. My spare game was so far off I even missed the 6-10 a few times. My daughter rolled her usual 800+ series. She gets more movement out of her Reckless than most do out of high performance balls. She is a low speed, high rev, 60 degree rotation bowler. She was on lanes 9 & 10 while I was on 11 & 12 so I got to see her bowl a ton. Due to the location of my lanes I couldn't record it. The bathrooms are behind those lanes. It's so tight that the seats for those lanes are behind the tables for 9 & 10.

My regular league wasn't any good either. 224, 246, 213 683 series. Used the Hell Raiser Revenge and Nexxus for them. Played from the 45th board, across 23 with a break point of 8 with the HRR. Nexxus was 30 across 15 break at 8. That's not a typo either. I was 5 board left of the gutter.

My normal league wasn't any better either. Used the Hell Raiser Revenge and Nexxus 226,

billf
06-27-2012, 04:33 PM
What's odd is how my scores for a 9-pin no tap weren't much better than a regular league night. I thought an 800 series would be a snap. Wrong again.