PDA

View Full Version : Polish?

mhrinko
06-26-2012, 09:51 PM
I currently have a C-Sytem Alpha Max, and I am looking for a polish to use on my ball. I have never used any polishes before and am looking to start using one on my ball. Does anyone have any input on brands, or about the different types? Should I just use the Brunswick brand, or are there any better ones out there? Thanks for any input!!

TheSheibs
06-26-2012, 10:36 PM
Check out this one. PowerHouse Factory Finish Polish. The local pro shop I go to recommended another PowerHouse product that helps keep the shine on my ball but this is the actual polish.

eugene02
06-26-2012, 10:38 PM
anyway, for the polish im not too sure.. wait for others to teach.. sorry..

bowl1820
06-26-2012, 11:12 PM
I currently have a C-Sytem Alpha Max, and I am looking for a polish to use on my ball. I have never used any polishes before and am looking to start using one on my ball. Does anyone have any input on brands, or about the different types? Should I just use the Brunswick brand, or are there any better ones out there? Thanks for any input!!

First what are you looking for in the surface change? I assume a different reaction or to match up with a certain condition.

Because you can use different combos of grit and polish to achieve different surfaces. there are also polishes that will kill a lot of hook on a ball (like "Delayed Reaction").

billf
06-26-2012, 11:12 PM
I use the Brunswick factory finish high gloss and the rough buff polish. They work well. I have even used automotive car wax before with no ill effects and it lasted a long time.

MICHAEL
06-27-2012, 12:08 AM
I use the Brunswick factory finish high gloss and the rough buff polish. They work well. I have even used automotive car wax before with no ill effects and it lasted a long time.

I thought that Polish and wax could be entirely different things. Many polish treatments for cars, do not have wax in them?? Bill are you saying you can use wax, and or polish on a bowling ball! I would think wax would case the ball to be more slick,,, where as polish,(without wax), would behave more like the products they use on bowling ball,,,,((((or am I wrong??)))

Bill if you use wax,,,,, do you "Wax on",,,,, "Wax off",,,,Wax on,,,,, Wax off! (what movie Bill for 25 cents!!)

edpup316
06-27-2012, 06:22 AM
You will only need one polish and one polish only. Beans' Secret Sauce. I put this polish and every single one of my balls. For me it lasts at least 18 or so games and it has fantastic tackiness.

billf
06-27-2012, 12:44 PM
I thought that Polish and wax could be entirely different things. Many polish treatments for cars, do not have wax in them?? Bill are you saying you can use wax, and or polish on a bowling ball! I would think wax would case the ball to be more slick,,, where as polish,(without wax), would behave more like the products they use on bowling ball,,,,((((or am I wrong??)))

Bill if you use wax,,,,, do you "Wax on",,,,, "Wax off",,,,Wax on,,,,, Wax off! (what movie Bill for 25 cents!!)
Mike, Karate Kid. Yes the wax is slick but I use the wax/polish to get more length. It worked well and was pretty durable. The only reason I stopped was concern over whether it would damage the coverstock.

MICHAEL
06-27-2012, 01:29 PM
lol,,,,, thanks for the information!!! Bong! ,,, you win the .25 cents....lol have a good one,,, off to the gym!!

Hot_pocket
06-27-2012, 01:51 PM
The real question about waxing vs polishing is....is it even legal because it's not something like dropping the cover stock or polishing its not a product made for bowling balls in general ...I wouldn't try it because tournaments might be able to DQ for it ...

billf
06-27-2012, 02:56 PM
True. That was something that crossed my. I wasn't sure how they could test or would even suspect but my conscience got to me, I would be upset if I won due to cheating. Using the rules is one thing, crossing them another.

bowl1820
06-27-2012, 04:03 PM
Most Ball polishes started life out as car polishes, that had been re-purposed and relabeled. The thing to watch out for is not to use ones with Silicone or Wax in them.
Because it plugs the pores up.

Some auto ones that are typically used on bowling balls are:
Turtle Wax's Rubbing compound (red tub) & Polishing compound (green tub) red is coarse, green finer.
3M Finesse It, 3M Microfinishing Rubbing Compound, 3M Super Duty Rubbing Compound ( these three range from fine,medium and coarse grit)

Another thing to have is
Soft scrub (no bleach) it can make some nice sheen surfaces, depending on Underlaying grit. It was great on proactive coverstocks

(I did a guys Tombstone (thats a ball it was a big flop) with it, that ball was dead as dead could get He said I wouldn't be able to get it to hook again . I resurfaced it finished it off with soft scrub, it looked brand new which was saying a lot if you know the tombstones, you couldn't see a one sanding line on that ball.

First time he threw that ball down the lane, he threw it like he had been trying to make it hook. That thing hooked right off the lane before it hit the pins.)

got_a_300
06-28-2012, 03:16 AM
Back in the mid 90's I always used the 3M Finesse It on all of my
bowling balls if I wanted them polished up. It gave them a good
tacky feel and made them slide through the heads and grab hard
and hook a bunch on the back ends. I never had any problems with
any of the tournaments that I bowled in from using the 3M Finesse It
not even with the few PBA regional tournaments that I bowled in back
then but the 3M Finesse It was very costly back then something like I
think it was around $50.00 a quart or higher so that is why I quit using
it in the late 90's.

MICHAEL
06-28-2012, 08:51 AM
Going to a local body shop today that works on fiberglass body styles to see what type of sanding pads, they use and prices! Maybe buying bulk through them might be a savings.

bowl1820
06-28-2012, 10:46 AM
You can try Supergrit
http://www.supergrit.com/products/products_discs-abralon.asp
Abralon
$3.50 / 1
$16.25 / 5

billf
06-28-2012, 12:18 PM
Wow, great prices. Thanks a bunch!

MICHAEL
06-28-2012, 03:17 PM
I agree after checking online several places, it is indeed!! Thanks!

got_a_300
06-28-2012, 03:30 PM
Wahooo thanks bowl1820 for posting that link!!!!!!!!!

I know where I'll be buying all of my Abralon pads
at from now on just can't beat that price anywhere
else at least not to my knowledge anyway.

Stormed1
06-30-2012, 12:14 AM
As far as polishes go they are as varied as models of cars. Storms step 1,2,3 all chane the grit @1 from 320 to 800,#2 from 320 to 1500, step #3 from 1500 to 2500, Brunswicks Rough Buff takes 220 to approx 1200. Valentino's Snake oil does not change the underlying grit but just polishes the surface. Same with Motiv Gel Polish. Valentino's UFO has a slip agent in it for extra length and reduced traction.

MICHAEL
07-03-2012, 05:25 PM
[QUOTE=billf;46178]Mike, Karate Kid. Yes the wax is slick but I use the wax/polish to get more length. It worked well and was pretty durable. The only reason I stopped was concern over whether it would damage the coverstock.[/QUOTE

Could that not be a form of Waxing your opponent?? lol.....