PDA

View Full Version : Plug vs filling thumb hole???

MICHAEL
06-27-2012, 10:29 AM
I just had both of my strike balls (as I call them), refilled with the resin or what ever its called. One had a crack noticed after drilling. He then said he could fill it, and drill it again, or put a slug in the hole. I said go ahead and put a slug in it. (This is the ball that just about took my right arm off in the (Jason and me) thread. My question is I need to have it modified.
1. Is there a difference between a filling the hole and then drilling it the next day, and a slug?
2. Can you modify a slug with sanding, like in my case where its too snug.
3. In the long run is it just better to have it filled with the solution
4. Does slug vs filling the hole, have a different effect on the bowling ball?
Just a foot note: put the solution in the balls the day before on both balls, He drilled them the same way, one feels great, the V.G. Nanno, and the other with the slug Sticks? I wonder why the plug drilled the same would be tighter?

DanielMareina
06-27-2012, 11:42 AM
Filling the hole, as you call it, is actually called plugging it. The other option is a Slug. To answer your questions in order,
1. Plug takes 24 hours per batch to dry. Most thumb holes take two batches. If it is hotter where you are, it can make the plug set up too quickly and may be more fragile. I like to wait an extra day to give the plug plenty of time to cure.
2. Slugs and plug can be sanded and beveled. Slugs are actually easier to adjust because they are made of urethane, which is a softer material.
3. If the cracking can be drilled out and then still be fully inside a the reach of a slug, that is fine. I usually prefer to plug, and then slug any ball I am fixing the cracks in. I am a better safe than sorry kind of guy.
4. Putting a slug in a ball does drill out a larger hole that the slug is then drilled in. This takes out extra weight, and can take out a bigger chunk of the core than just drilling the thumb into the plug. This isn't bad, but is different. A lot of the time, companies like you to put a slug in because it makes the cores more dynamic. That isn't always the case though. Also, when you drill into a ball, your thumb will touch the coverstock, fill material, and core material all at the same time. This creates different levels of friction on different parts of the thumb. That is why I recommend slugs. Then you are only touching one material with your whole thumb. They do make some slugs out of Vinyl. I find these thumb slugs to not only be too tacky for most people, but they also seem to expand and contract with the temperature changes. I don't like them at all. I prefer 100% urethane Turbo Thumb Slugs.
And finally your foot note, Just because the holes look the same doesn't mean that they are the same. When a hole is ovaled, it creates funneling. This makes the bottom of the hole tighter than the top. It is very possible that he just didn't bevel the funneling out enough for you. He will be able to fix it in a couple of minutes if you tell him where it catches up on your thumb. Best of luck Michael!

MICHAEL
06-27-2012, 11:54 AM
Thanks VERY much for the GREAT information on the ball! When he brought it down to me I thought it was a bite tight, but Wow,,,, it looked great going down the lane!! Better rev’s then before, great entry into the pocket. I begain to think that maybe a lose thumb hole was part of my problems along with the reverse pitch which was a venture gone bad! Thanks for taking the time to explain the difference. Have a great day!!

bowl1820
06-27-2012, 03:23 PM
And finally your foot note, Just because the holes look the same doesn't mean that they are the same. When a hole is ovaled, it creates funneling. This makes the bottom of the hole tighter than the top. It is very possible that he just didn't bevel the funneling out enough for you. He will be able to fix it in a couple of minutes if you tell him where it catches up on your thumb. Best of luck Michael!

As a side note here.

In regards to the hole tapering (Funneling) when doing ovals, That all depends on what type Drill/Mill setup the driller is using. There are drills that will do taper free holes like the Jayhawk Tri-Oval.

The German Shepherd
06-27-2012, 04:12 PM
I was just about to mention this...my pro uses a drill-press that does taper-free ovals.

Jay

As a side note here.

In regards to the hole tapering (Funneling) when doing ovals, That all depends on what type Drill/Mill setup the driller is using. There are drills that will do taper free holes like the Jayhawk Tri-Oval.

MICHAEL
06-28-2012, 08:13 AM
I was just about to mention this...my pro uses a drill-press that does taper-free ovals.

Jay

How can a drill bit drill an oval hole?? I can’t in my mind figure that out?

MICHAEL
06-28-2012, 08:15 AM
I can imagine going into a hole twice! Once with the orginal size hole, then maybe going in again with a smaller bit at what ever angle your wanting the oval to be?? Is that how they do it?

The Mayor
06-28-2012, 08:39 AM
You have the pilot drill bit and then you make cuts at the desired angle in order to get to the desired oval size. Smaller ovals usually are 2 cuts. Very large ovals can be 4 cuts. Most are 3.

MICHAEL
06-28-2012, 10:38 AM
thant make sense, thanks! I would imagine it can't be done with a slug, or can it?

DanielMareina
06-28-2012, 11:10 AM
Ovaling a hole in a ball and in a slug is the same. Unless you have a thumb that is too big for the biggest slug, but I have yet to find one that is. As for a drill press that doesn't taper, I will have to look that up. It is awesome that some can do that, my press is 15 years old, I am not sure I understand how that is possible though. Thanks for the info! You learn something new everyday.

bowl1820
06-28-2012, 11:16 AM
Click here for Jayhawk Tri-Oval Mill Drilling Machine (http://www.jayhawkbowling.com/Products/Tri-Oval.html)
http://www.jayhawkbowling.com/Pro_Shop_Equipment/Milling_Machines/New%20Tri%20AD.jpg

DanielMareina
06-28-2012, 11:21 AM
That looks almost identical to my drill press, except for the ball cup and the digital gauges. I wonder if I can buy just those additions instead of having to buy a new press. I can't afford a new one anyways, but mine is getting old and a bit shaky. It would be nice to have digital readouts though. Mine is a ruler on a piece of paper taped to the base of the press ;)

bowl1820
06-28-2012, 11:37 AM
Here's some more info

THE ART OF OVAL FITTING AND DRILLING
Click for Jayhawk oval fitting system pdf (http://www.jayhawkbowling.com/Pro_s_Corner/Pro_Shop_Forms/ovalfittingsystem.pdf)