PDA

View Full Version : Stinkin' Stankin' Corner Pins

The German Shepherd
06-27-2012, 08:55 PM
As I posted in the "Post Your Scores" forum, today's series was torture. I was in the pocket in nearly every shot...but left 15 CORNER PINS. I repeat, I left 15 CORNER PINS. Ten of these were 10 pins, the others were, of course, 7 pins. In one game, I left the 7, 8, 9 and 10. I tried everything I knew how to do - move back on the approach, move left and right to change entry angle, and eventually found that releasing the ball a bit more "up the back" did the trick. I salvaged a 619. Today was my day of no carry....:mad:

Jay

billf
06-27-2012, 09:08 PM
I feel your pain. I left more 6s & 10s tonight than I can ever remember. My spare game has dropped lately too so it's killing me.

martin
06-28-2012, 12:48 AM
i certainly know the feeling.. there was once when i played 3 games (can't remember if it was qualifying for a tournament or just practice games) and whether i hit the pocket or brooklyn, every single frame was a corner pin left standing.. o.O

got_a_300
06-28-2012, 02:42 AM
I had the same problem with those %$#& 10 pins on our
Wednesday Night Trio league I left 7 of them in the first
game alone. I never missed the pocket once in the three
games we bowled but I got no love from that &^%& 10
pin or 8 pin or even the 9 pin just got no love at all. :(

The second game I got off to a really good start with a
4 bagger/ham-bone then bam here comes that %&^*10
pin again for 4 more of them and then here comes the
stone cold 8 pin.

The last game I started off with a stone cold 8 pin then
3 stone cold 9 pins and then back to those 10 pins again
and a couple more stoned 8 pins and a strike or two mixed
in with all that crap and I just drilled the pocket all night.

Another night like that and I might just be ready to call it
quits on bowling or take a long vacation from bowling for
a few weeks or something like that. Well at least we get a
break from bowling next week on Wed. the 4th and Thur.
the 5th we're not bowling thank goodness. LOL!!!!!

The German Shepherd
06-28-2012, 08:33 AM
“For all sad words of tongue and pen, The saddest are these, 'It might have been'.” (John Greenleaf Whittier)

Mr. Whittier must have been a bowler.

J.

The Mayor
06-28-2012, 08:42 AM
Carrying is all about angle into the pocket. You can have too much angle or not enough. You can tell sometimes by looking at what the 6 pin does after you hit the pocket. Is it lying dead in the gutter? Is it a ringing 10? It's very frustrating to be in the pocket and not strike! What works for me a lot of times is moving slightly left in order to come in a bit lighter. Light hits always seem to carry better for me.

got_a_300
06-28-2012, 03:18 PM
Yep Mayor I tried moving left / right / up / back and nothing seemed
to work but in all fairness we were bowling on the worst lanes in the
center for pin carry we were bowling on lanes 9 and 10.

Those lanes seldom if ever have a good rack both lanes have pins off
spot but not enough for the USBC to not approve them for play but it
is just enough to cause a person some major grief on carry.

I was watching where the ball was going off of the pin deck and it was
going off in pretty much the perfect spot each time somewhere between
the 8 pin and the 9 pin but oh well what can a person do other than keep
banging on the pocket and hope for the best. LOL!!!!!

The German Shepherd
06-28-2012, 04:24 PM
This is bizarre...I was bowling on lane 9 & 10 in my bowling house as well! No kidding! I wonder if there is a connection...

Jay

Yep Mayor I tried moving left / right / up / back and nothing seemed
to work but in all fairness we were bowling on the worst lanes in the
center for pin carry we were bowling on lanes 9 and 10.

Those lanes seldom if ever have a good rack both lanes have pins off
spot but not enough for the USBC to not approve them for play but it
is just enough to cause a person some major grief on carry.

I was watching where the ball was going off of the pin deck and it was
going off in pretty much the perfect spot each time somewhere between
the 8 pin and the 9 pin but oh well what can a person do other than keep
banging on the pocket and hope for the best. LOL!!!!!

got_a_300
06-28-2012, 05:32 PM
This is bizarre...I was bowling on lane 9 & 10 in my bowling house as well! No kidding! I wonder if there is a connection...

Jay

Hmmmm........ makes a person wonder maybe there is a conspiracy
of solid 7's and solid 10's and solid 8's and solid 9's going against
people bowling on lanes 9 and 10 all across the world. :confused: :confused:

I just hope I don't have to bowl on lanes 9 and 10 again tonight usually
on the Thursday night league it is more than likely on the same lanes as
we bowled on Wednesday night. :(

GeorgiaStroker
06-28-2012, 06:03 PM
There may be more to it than you think. Is your center a 24 lane house? When I worked the front desk at a 24 lane house we would tend to use the center lanes, ie 9 thru 16 when the business was slow. Those were the lanes that were in front of the desk so it made it easier to keep an eye on the open bowlers, not to mention give us something to watch during those boring times. The center lanes always get more use and abuse than the lanes toward the ends of the house.

ursus
06-28-2012, 06:51 PM
Left lots of ten pins today, just happened to be bowling lanes 9 & 10. The conspiracy lives on

billf
06-28-2012, 07:24 PM
Our house lanes 1-4 are 40 years older than 5-12. The older lanes were actually moved from the first alley in the county into this place in 1972. The walls on each end are right against the gutter cap so there is no room to the left on lane 1 and the same on the right of lane 12. The desk is off set to the right so 5-10 see the most open bowlers. That actual has made 1-10 play very similar while 11 & 12 are different. People blame the wall but let's face it, a wall on the right side won't affect right-handers as much as a wall to the left that your balance foot hits on every roll. These same people can't give me a reason why 11 plays the same as 12. Amazing how common sense isn't very common anymore.

GeorgiaStroker
06-28-2012, 07:30 PM
Our house lanes 1-4 are 40 years older than 5-12. The older lanes were actually moved from the first alley in the county into this place in 1972. The walls on each end are right against the gutter cap so there is no room to the left on lane 1 and the same on the right of lane 12. The desk is off set to the right so 5-10 see the most open bowlers. That actual has made 1-10 play very similar while 11 & 12 are different. People blame the wall but let's face it, a wall on the right side won't affect right-handers as much as a wall to the left that your balance foot hits on every roll. These same people can't give me a reason why 11 plays the same as 12. Amazing how common sense is very common anymore.

I could see myself scraping the skin of the knuckles of my left hand when I reach out for balance. Where is the access door for the back of the house?

billf
06-28-2012, 07:31 PM
Between lanes 4 & 5

got_a_300
06-30-2012, 03:55 PM
I could see myself scraping the skin of the knuckles of my left hand when I reach out for balance.

I know what you mean we used to have a wall right up against lane 17 when we still had
24 lanes as lanes 17-24 were in the basement. Then they decided to close up stairs back
in 1997 and just use the 8 lanes down stairs so we had to put up with the wall a lot more
since we didn't bowl up stairs any more. The wall had a lot of holes kicked into it over the
years where people got mad when it got in the way then when I had to quit bowling in 1999
I didn't go into the center for a few years. Well when I did finally go back to the center they
had torn the wall down and added 6 more lanes in the empty space to the left side somewhere
around 2004. Then last year when I decided to go back and try to bowl again they had installed
synthetic lanes so it made my day as I love bowling on synthetic lanes and done away with the
dreaded wall.

TheSheibs
07-04-2012, 09:24 PM
The way I see the 7 and 10 pin is just there to screw with you. Whenever you get on a hot streak with a lot of strikes in a row or you need a strike to help your team win a game, one of those pins is always left. The only good thing the 7 and 10 pin are good for is as a messenger to go across the lane and get the other corner pin. No, there is no facts backing this. Just a reason I use to coup with leaving one of these pins. I had a great looking ball the other night in the 10th frame and ended up leaving the 7 pin(left handed bowler). Everyone thought it was a strike and you should have seen my reaction when the 7 pin was left on a great looking throw. I also believe the 5 pin is there just to tease you when you leave it standing. These three pins are good for taunting and bringing disappointment.

J Anderson
07-04-2012, 11:22 PM
Agreed, The main purpose of the corner pins, other than bringing the number of pins up to ten, is to mock you when you think you've thrown a good ball. The Five is generally useful in taking out the 8 or 9 pin. But those times when you leave it, its always glad to laugh at you as you miss the spare, because "nobody misses the 5 pin"!

The German Shepherd
07-04-2012, 11:35 PM
Agreed, The main purpose of the corner pins, other than bringing the number of pins up to ten, is to mock you when you think you've thrown a good ball. The Five is generally useful in taking out the 8 or 9 pin. But those times when you leave it, its always glad to laugh at you as you miss the spare, because "nobody misses the 5 pin"!

What do they say? "5 no drive?" ;)

J.

Hampe
07-05-2012, 07:38 AM
Whenever you get on a hot streak with a lot of strikes in a row or you need a strike to help your team win a game, one of those pins is always left. Yep.....nothing more annoying than rolling a good shot with the game on the line only to get screwed over by a bad bounce.