PDA

View Full Version : Picking up those pesky 7 pins.

martinezsam2495
06-28-2012, 01:25 AM
I have tried different approaches from the back, haven't tried moving up,
I can't hit it constantly and that is ruining my 200 game.
About me,
2 handed bowler,
Left handed,
Hammer Ball,

JaMau24
06-28-2012, 01:35 AM
I have tried different approaches from the back, haven't tried moving up,
I can't hit it constantly and that is ruining my 200 game.
About me,
2 handed bowler,
Left handed,
Hammer Ball,

If you don't have a plastic spare ball, that is the first thing I'd try if I were you. If you do get a plastic ball and you still can't get it, or if you don't want to get a plastic spare ball, then I'd consider throwing at the 7 pin with only one hand, not two, that way you can have a conventional swing and it will allow you to straighten it out more.

I'm still struggling with the 10 pin (right handed), but I have made an adjustment within the last week and have been picking it up more frequently. I think I'm going to stick with my new approach for a while. I'm about 8 for 10 so far, which is good for me, but still hoping to get better at it with more practice throwing it this way.

martinezsam2495
06-28-2012, 03:24 AM
If you don't have a plastic spare ball, that is the first thing I'd try if I were you. If you do get a plastic ball and you still can't get it, or if you don't want to get a plastic spare ball, then I'd consider throwing at the 7 pin with only one hand, not two, that way you can have a conventional swing and it will allow you to straighten it out more.

I'm still struggling with the 10 pin (right handed), but I have made an adjustment within the last week and have been picking it up more frequently. I think I'm going to stick with my new approach for a while. I'm about 8 for 10 so far, which is good for me, but still hoping to get better at it with more practice throwing it this way.
oh, I will try that the next time I go bowling, I'm planning on going for practice at least 2x week, with 3+ games each session,
Ok the thing with that is, if I were to throw it straight, I wouldn't be able to throw it with 3 fingers, only 2,

martin
06-28-2012, 04:29 AM

i struggle more with the 7 than the 10 (right handed).. sometimes it feels weird even.. because ppl usually get the 7 quite easily..

MICHAEL
06-28-2012, 08:37 AM
I don't use plastic, but found a low end, or burn't out high end ball has JUST enough grab to hang on the edge when shoot the center arrow! With the plastic, it had to be right on target, not as forgiving as playing the hook. I know one should throw plastic, and do a streight shoot! I might work on that but right now on simple house conditions the weak ball hook works for me 80 percent of the time. Good luck

Hampe
06-28-2012, 09:12 AM
That's what I always used to say, until I recently played a tourney at a center where the lanes were really dry, and then I kept missing juuuust to the right every time (a little tiny bit too much hook). I've decided to start trying straight.....it really is the best way to go for single pins. I used to actually throw it straight, but like you, I found it easier with a tiny bit of hook. Guess I'll have to go back to straight and practice, practice, practice....

billf
06-28-2012, 12:46 PM
Sam, I don't care how many fingers you use. Stand on the dot all the way to the right. Look at the 7 pin. Draw your eyes back, slowly, to the arrows. Depending on how many dots your center has, you should be at the center arrow. You must let the palm of your hand face upwards and keep that position until AFTER the release. That will get you close. Target practice from there will help you locate your sweet spot.
Right handed, for 10 pins I stand on 30 and roll over 18.
7 pin I stand at 5 and roll over 20.

martinezsam2495
06-28-2012, 01:54 PM
Alright, thanks Bill, I will try this out during league,
hopefully that 7 pin will be destroyed.
:D

billf
06-28-2012, 02:08 PM
/the best part is, with straight balls the pattern doesn't matter. so if you find a spot during practice it will be the same during league or on any other lane.

americantrotter
06-28-2012, 02:30 PM
Or you can use the whoops method. The "I so badly missed the pocket and hit the 7 pin, maybe I'll repeat that" method. It helped me get my 10 pin percentage up.

TheSheibs
07-04-2012, 09:33 PM
In order for a left handed bowler to pick up the 7 pin, he/she has to stand with the left foot in line with the edge of the gutter. Then aim at an arrow that will allow the ball to curve back to hit the 7 pin. It is either the middle arrow or the one to the right of the middle arrow. Do that and it should be more consistent. This is how you get the right angle to get to the 7 pin. You could also get a spare ball that will go straight but you still need to stand as far to the right as you can. This is from a left handed bowler who is pretty consistent with picking up the 7 pin. To pick up the 10 pin you can do the same thing but make sure you adjust for throwing close to the gutter. I know I have some video of me picking up a 7 pin. I'll try to post it for you in the next few days, probably this weekend. I use to pick these up with the same ball I used for my first throw. If you make your ball curve the same every time, then you can adjust the angle you throw the ball to use the curve to come back and go down the edge of the lane to get it. Also if you can pick up the 4-7 pins then you should be able to make a slight adjustment to get the ball to go over enough boards to get it. The same can be said for the 7-8 pins. If you can hit the 4 and 8 pin, start where you would to get those pins and then adjust the arrow you are aiming for. You can use the curve to your advantage but you just need to work at it.

martinezsam2495
07-08-2012, 11:52 PM
Sheibs! I have been trying this but every time I have done this, only seldom did I hit that 7 pin, What was starting to happen to me was that it would look like it's about to hit it, but then just skim right pass it and do nothing, :( So I go from the right side, and aim before the middle arrow? I haven't tried that, Thanks I will be looking forward to that video,

CrimsonEncounter
07-11-2012, 04:19 PM
With me it's the 10, being that I'm right handed. I usually move to the left to the second dot there and throw my Complete Bedlam over the center dot just slightly harder than I throw my initial shot. It usually goes down and breaks just at the pin and clips it, sending it down.

Of course, this is after I curse it and tell it it's mother was an oak tree.

martinezsam2495
07-11-2012, 06:30 PM
With me it's the 10, being that I'm right handed. I usually move to the left to the second dot there and throw my Complete Bedlam over the center dot just slightly harder than I throw my initial shot. It usually goes down and breaks just at the pin and clips it, sending it down.

Of course, this is after I curse it and tell it it's mother was an oak tree.

haha, nice one I have never heard that before,
yeah curse that 7 (left hand) 10 (for right hand) pin

RoccoRock
07-12-2012, 04:29 PM
When I was 2 handing, for my 10 pin I went with a plastic ball, one pound lighter than my strike ball, and at times I used a little loft. Lighter ball means I can throw it harder, so it had less time to hook, and keeping it off the lane helped keep it from hooking away from the pin as well. The other thing I do is my last step i slide to my left.