PDA

View Full Version : For those who get fatigued after a few games of bowilng,

martinezsam2495
06-29-2012, 09:40 PM
I've just read this article how, bowling more or working out would improve your endurance.
The reason why is because of fatigue, you can think of it as a brand new guy who has never ran long distance, to take 10 miles on his first day, but he can't, So he goes 1 mile for a couple of weeks, then 2, gradually making his way up to 10. The same with bowling it's mostly your arms and legs that feel the fatigue.
Article:
http://www.topendsports.com/sport/tenpin/training.htm

billf
06-30-2012, 01:33 AM
So what does every one suggest in preparation of bowling 24 straight hours? Hoping to average 8 games an hour.

martinezsam2495
06-30-2012, 12:37 PM
Bowling for 24 straight hours? I'm pretty sure your kidding, but working out your body, and lowering your bmi would help. It was suggested that some bowlers who lost weight would have a higher average than they did before.

billf
06-30-2012, 02:38 PM
I'm not kidding. The world record is currently 15,000 pins in 24 hours. They only count actual pin fall and not extras like with spares and strikes. You can only use one lane with the only time allowed to move is for oiling and then move back once oiling is completed. As for BMI, that's a joke. It doesn't take into account any muscle mass. I graduated high school at 268lbs and stayed at that weight my entire time in the Army. At no time did my body fat percentage go above 6%. I ran the 40 yard dash in 4.37 seconds and my 2 mile run times in the Army were between 10 minutes 11 seconds and 10 minutes 30 seconds the entire time. Plus for endurance, the body uses fat for energy after it depletes glycogen stores, then muscle. This is why so many distance runners have no muscle mass no matter how much they work out. The difference between fast twitch and slow twitch muscle fibers and that person's ability to increase either type also affects what kind of training they see the best results from.

GeorgiaStroker
06-30-2012, 03:13 PM
The most obvious thing that comes to my mind is to drink lots of water. Being only slightly dehydrated could cause muscle fatigue and cramps with that much usage.

martinezsam2495
06-30-2012, 06:50 PM
@bill I would say then to have a good night rest the day before, bring lots of water, drink it passively as you play. To maintain a form where it would not be as tiring after a few games. To start training for this I would say is to gradually increase your time played bowling. Buy about 6 hours and see how you can do. Work your way up from there. Like GeorgiaStroker said keep yourself hydrated.
Good luck!
Sam

billf
06-30-2012, 07:44 PM
I plan on dropping a pound in weight when needed but only twice. Starting with 15 but won't go lower than 13.

Hampe
07-02-2012, 09:52 AM
They only count actual pin fall and not extras like with spares and strikes. Jesus.....I just realised what you meant by this. At first I thought 15,000 didn't sound like all that much for 24 hours. But 15,000 actual pins and not points.....good luck dude :).

The German Shepherd
07-02-2012, 11:15 AM
I would be very sure to carbo load before your attempt and keep the carbs pumping in during. I would also keep lots of coffee and things like Gatorade on hand...

Jay

martinezsam2495
07-02-2012, 03:00 PM
Yes carbo loading with things like pasta or bread

billf
07-02-2012, 03:29 PM
Wow, carb load with carbs. Glad you thought of that Sam lol

Mike White
07-02-2012, 05:57 PM
If they only count actual pin fall, then I assume you wouldn't be shooting any spares.

8 games per hour would mean 80 shots in 1 hour is a rate of 1 per 45 seconds. Seems reasonable as for pace.

To achieve 15000 at that pace you would need to average 7.8 pins per shot.

All things considered, I think 20K+ is achievable.

Any idea how quickly a pinsetter can recycle to a full rack if run continuously?

This info would give some indication of the upper limit of what is possible.

billf
07-02-2012, 09:22 PM
I'm going to shoot the spares. It may not count as high but still better than waiting for the reset. I thought it would be cake until I read where I can only use one lane.

ursus
07-02-2012, 11:09 PM
One lane really messes with the pace at which you can roll balls down the lane, when are you planning on doing this feat?

Hampe
07-03-2012, 05:51 AM
I thought it would be cake until I read where I can only use one lane.ONE LANE?! Jesus....this record is sounding more and more impressive as this thread goes on :). Next your going to tell me you have to do it on one leg.......blindfolded :)

J Anderson
07-03-2012, 08:58 AM
ONE LANE?! Jesus....this record is sounding more and more impressive as this thread goes on :). Next your going to tell me you have to do it on one leg.......blindfolded :)

From what Bill has already posted elsewhere, that's not much of a stretch.

billf
07-03-2012, 04:56 PM
Darn, wish I thought of the blindfold part.
I'm trying to get everything lined up for December 15th. Looking to raise money for Dayton Children's Hospital. My youngest granddaughter was treated there for her brain tumor and that is the date she was born. The hospital is in need of a new helipad. I'm going to contact DV8 and see if they will donate some 14 & 13 pound Misfits also.
The part that tripped me out is to have it certified immediately you have to have a member of Guinness present. The cost is $8,000 plus airfare, hotel, etc. Needless to say I will record it and send it in. That's money that could go to the hospital instead.
I'm use to staying awake for days at a time but that's a long time to have to bowl. Going to get a thumb slider/protector for this occasion also.

GeorgiaStroker
07-03-2012, 07:26 PM
Maybe you could have your thumb bronzed for the occasion. lol I think what your doing is great and wish you the best of luck.

billf
07-03-2012, 11:22 PM
Maybe you could have your thumb bronzed for the occasion. lol I think what your doing is great and wish you the best of luck.

Thank you. I sure will need it!

TheSheibs
07-03-2012, 11:23 PM
If you use multiple balls than you could still throw another one right after the pin setter raises. This would allow you to get more throws in per hour and it would make for a faster pace. Did it say you have to use the same ball or does it not specify?

billf
07-03-2012, 11:33 PM
Says you can use as many balls as you want but can only throw one at a time.

ursus
07-03-2012, 11:41 PM
8 grand , thats totall BS, I wish you the best

martinezsam2495
07-04-2012, 02:07 AM
I say the best way to do this, would be at a lane with pinsetters, (people not machine) who can set up faster than a machine can and allow you to throw more shots.

TheSheibs
07-04-2012, 09:09 PM
Pretty sure that a machine can set the pins faster since the now are set up in such a way that the next set of pins are already set to go into it by the time the pins are cleared on a second shot.

Suggestion: You should hit the rest button a few times and time how long it would actually take to cycle and set the next 10 pins. Then you can see how long it will take between shots and can have someone calculate if you are on a good pace to beat the previous amount.

Question: Once you beat the current record, if you still have time are you going to keep going or are you just going for breaking the record and leaving it at that?

J Anderson
07-04-2012, 11:34 PM
Pretty sure that a machine can set the pins faster since the now are set up in such a way that the next set of pins are already set to go into it by the time the pins are cleared on a second shot.

Suggestion: You should hit the rest button a few times and time how long it would actually take to cycle and set the next 10 pins. Then you can see how long it will take between shots and can have someone calculate if you are on a good pace to beat the previous amount.

Question: Once you beat the current record, if you still have time are you going to keep going or are you just going for breaking the record and leaving it at that?

I've talked with guys who worked as pin boys back in the fifties, when automatic pinsetters were still being phased in. The good ones were considerably faster than the machines. I would think that today it would be almost impossible to set pins as fast without removing the pinsetter machinery.

I can't answer for Bill but would guess that he'll try and put that record out of reach.

billf
07-05-2012, 12:24 AM
My goal is a minimum of 18,000 pins. I don't do anything half a$$ and this is no exception. There are plenty of people better than me at anything and smarter but nobody has ever out worked me. Knowing my history, once I reach the record I will speed things up even more.

martinezsam2495
07-08-2012, 11:53 PM
Yeah Bill it's not impossible, I'm positive you can do it!
Just try to get a lane that sets up the pins quickly.

Arnold
07-23-2012, 06:51 PM
You might even try to practice rollling a ball with your OTHER arm - if you can knock down some pins, it might give your primary arm a little rest and yet you wouldn't stop knocking down pins... just a thought... good luck!

billf
07-24-2012, 11:17 PM
You might even try to practice rollling a ball with your OTHER arm - if you can knock down some pins, it might give your primary arm a little rest and yet you wouldn't stop knocking down pins... just a thought... good luck!

I bowl with both already but usually get better carry right handed due to higher ball speed. I will have to check to see if that would be allowed.