PDA

View Full Version : Bowlingball.com Thumb Protector

Josch
07-04-2012, 09:32 PM
Has anyone tried the Bowlingball.com Thumb Protector (http://www.bowlingball.com/products/bowling-accessories/bowlingballcom/10025/Thumb-Protector-Right-Handed.html)? I just ordered it. I got it for a few reasons. The first one is that I never fixed the problem I had with the thumb hole being slightly too big on two of my balls. I'm hoping that the extra material on this should fill the gap nicely. With my ball that has the slightly smaller thumb hole my thumb occasionally sticks and causes me to pull the ball to the left. I'm hoping this will give me a smoother release. I've also had some problems with my thumb shifting on the back swing and this protector is textured on the front like tape. The second reason I'm getting this is since I've been bowling about 20 games a week lately the base of my thumb at the front has been sore and as of today, developed a callus. I'm hoping that this will help my thumb not shift and help with the soreness. Has anyone here tried this product or the brunswick variant? I went with this over a thumb sock since I wanted a more secure fit.

backahead
07-04-2012, 10:46 PM
I guess I should order one too. My thumb has a big knot on the inside base knuckle. I can't even tell you if its a callous, feels like an internal tumor. I use baby powder and it helps.

Edit: ordered one, thanks. We'll see.

MICHAEL
07-05-2012, 09:12 AM
I guess I should order one too. My thumb has a big knot on the inside base knuckle. I can't even tell you if its a callous, feels like an internal tumor. I use baby powder and it helps.

Edit: ordered one, thanks. We'll see.

Many of us have the thumb problem. What works for me is one piece of the Blue Tape that is sold on line and in pro shops! It comes in pre-cut 3 inch pieces, and is a slick tape that protects, and allows the ball to slide off the thumb VERY NICELY!! Best Money I Have spent next to my wedding certificate!!! lol

abishai
07-05-2012, 11:35 AM
I actually have one of these and have used it a few times now. It's made of a thin spandex like material with a piece of leather that covers your thumbprint basically. The seam of the protector runs along the outer edge of your thumb so if you're getting calluses there it's still going to hurt you.

So now that I've described how it's made let me describe how it's falling apart. The seam is already busting, and right below the leather piece I've almost worn a hole through the thing. so with around 15 games on the protector it's almost done and being the beginner that I am there's no way I put it through the same paces some of you would.

So with that said I wouldn't recommend the product. Like I mentioned i'm a beginner and maybe it's my grip/release that beat the protector up but I don't think i'll be buying another one. Maybe I should just get a golf glove and cut the middle/ring fingers off. Good luck to those who did grab one i'll be interested in hearing how it works out for you.

got_a_300
07-05-2012, 04:28 PM
The first one is that I never fixed the problem I had with the thumb hole being slightly too big on two of my balls
I would suggest that maybe you could get some Turbo 2-N-1 Grips Duo-Colored Urethane Thumb Slugs (http://www.bowlingball.com/products/bowling-accessories/Turbo2-N-1Grips/4520/Duo-Colored-Urethane-Thumb-Slugs.html)
to go in those balls and have the Pro shop guy/gal re-drill the hole(s) a little smaller to fit your thumb.

Josch
07-05-2012, 08:27 PM
I would suggest that maybe you could get some Turbo 2-N-1 Grips Duo-Colored Urethane Thumb Slugs (http://www.bowlingball.com/products/bowling-accessories/Turbo2-N-1Grips/4520/Duo-Colored-Urethane-Thumb-Slugs.html)
to go in those balls and have the Pro shop guy/gal re-drill the hole(s) a little smaller to fit your thumb.

I already have thumb slugs in my ball. The problem is I had my hole opened up a little when my thumb was swollen and I had it opened up too much. Right now my thumb is swollen from bowling about 5 days a week and the thumb hole is just slightly too big. If the thumb protector doesn't work I'll probably just get tape.

backahead
07-05-2012, 08:50 PM
Many of us have the thumb problem. What works for me is one piece of the Blue Tape that is sold on line and in pro shops! It comes in pre-cut 3 inch pieces, and is a slick tape that protects, and allows the ball to slide off the thumb VERY NICELY!! Best Money I Have spent next to my wedding certificate!!! lol

Thanks Michael, I can get some of the tape tomorrow then try the thumb protector on Monday or Tues. I don't trust the pro shop at the lanes I bowl so I didn't ask. I hate saying that as it means I can never say where I bowl but when I went in for the elbow guard the guy said, "what's that?" He didn't have one but the guy at the front desk had an extra one and just gave it to me, so he rules.