PDA

View Full Version : I decided to get the DV8 Hell Raiser Revenge

martinezsam2495
07-07-2012, 11:08 PM
Now I know it's meant for heavy to medium oil conditions, but
My lane has medium oil, and then it breaks down to light oil.
Can I know the details of this ball, I know its a good backend ball but I have heard that after a few games it needs to be put away since it starts to go brooklyn,
This is going to be my first ball, and the pro shop was closed today, so I didn't get to talk to him.

billf
07-07-2012, 11:16 PM
Being a lefty, stand as far right as you can and try a break point at the two board. Using a no-thumb release you will have trouble coming up the side of the ball to get enough length to stay on the correct side to hit the pocket. I stated before that the Roto-Grip Critical Theory would be too strong for your style, speed and lane condition. The DV8 Hell Raiser Revenge is an even stronger ball. This is the strongest ball available at this time. Adding polish to this monster does help to tame it a bit. Hopefully some past winners and other owners will give their opinions. I can't use either of mine during league and if I want to use it during open bowl (real dry) I have to stand in the center of the lane to my left or try to take all the hand I can out of it. Even then I lay down on the 40 board.

martinezsam2495
07-07-2012, 11:35 PM
Being a lefty, stand as far right as you can and try a break point at the two board. Using a no-thumb release you will have trouble coming up the side of the ball to get enough length to stay on the correct side to hit the pocket. I stated before that the Roto-Grip Critical Theory would be too strong for your style, speed and lane condition. The DV8 Hell Raiser Revenge is an even stronger ball. This is the strongest ball available at this time. Adding polish to this monster does help to tame it a bit. Hopefully some past winners and other owners will give their opinions. I can't use either of mine during league and if I want to use it during open bowl (real dry) I have to stand in the center of the lane to my left or try to take all the hand I can out of it. Even then I lay down on the 40 board.

I am planning to learn 3 fingers with this ball, my different stances were until I got another ball, So this wouldn't be a good ball for me neither? What would you suggest then? I saw at the pro shop, a Misfit, Storm Tropical, Maniac, Frantic, I think a Reckless, HellRaiser,
and Maxxis I believe, not too sure on that one.
I'm looking for a ball that doesn't hook to early, and has a core that after it's spin starts to speed forward,

billf
07-07-2012, 11:49 PM
When it dries up the Hell Raiser Revenge doesn't have the oil it needs to get across the lane. If you force it across it loses too much energy to make the turn as it should. If you are going to use all three digits then that changes everything but I would recommend the Reckless. It's a great bench mark ball with plenty of hook potential and the polish cover handles changes in oil well.

Here's is a short video trying to use the HRR on a dry lane. How dry? Watch the hook with the plastic to pick up the 2-8 spare.

http://youtu.be/Q9NJL2t6Upg

martinezsam2495
07-07-2012, 11:58 PM
Oh I get what you mean, so this monster feeds on oil to gain it's power.
Alright I'll check the reckless out, your link didn't work,

billf
07-08-2012, 12:03 AM
It's fixed

martinezsam2495
07-08-2012, 12:10 AM
I see what you mean, was this video during your first game, or just a dried up lane?

billf
07-08-2012, 12:11 AM
A dried up lane that wasn't oiled today.

martinezsam2495
07-08-2012, 12:15 AM
This is my release at the moment,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCPBiYvHgrc

I tried bowling with 3 fingers today with my uncles ball, But when I was about to release the ball I felt as if the ball was going to fall, one of my league bowlers said it could be due to the thumb hole being too big,

martinezsam2495
07-08-2012, 12:15 AM
This video isn't me bowling with 3 fingers, by the way

eugene02
07-08-2012, 03:41 AM
Oh I get what you mean, so this monster feeds on oil to gain it's power.
Alright I'll check the reckless out, your link didn't work,

were u using mozilla fire fox? because for that.. you can't see video being linked onto the replies.. (for me thats it..)

eugene02
07-08-2012, 03:44 AM
to me, the reckless will be a great choice to start off with.. because the misfit would be for light - medium oil.. when the oil gets too little, you might not have any reaction.. or delayed reaction rather.. so i rather you start with the reckless and learn how to hook a ball on it.. :)

martinezsam2495
07-08-2012, 04:45 AM
to me, the reckless will be a great choice to start off with.. because the misfit would be for light - medium oil.. when the oil gets too little, you might not have any reaction.. or delayed reaction rather.. so i rather you start with the reckless and learn how to hook a ball on it.. :)

I hope the Reckless is really a good choice, I might be getting this ball very soon....

eugene02
07-08-2012, 08:16 AM
I hope the Reckless is really a good choice, I might be getting this ball very soon....

hope the ball will help you in your games, correct technique all.. what weight are you using anyway? just gotten a used Storm Sure Fire. Hope to use it well too:)

The German Shepherd
07-08-2012, 06:57 PM
I look forward to reading your reaction to the HRR. I have wanted that ball for a loooong time. Have you seen the Hell raiser Terror??? Mama mia...

Jay

martinezsam2495
07-08-2012, 11:44 PM
Thanks German Shepard, but I think I'm getting the Reckless, I'm going to talk to my pro shop guy about it,
and if he believes the HRR, is better for my style of playing, I will tell him the alleys I play at, then I'll get it,
but as for now, I believe the Reckless is my best choice,

Hampe
07-09-2012, 04:22 AM
If you're still starting out, I'd go with the Reckless......a lot of newbies make the mistake of getting a strong reactive ball, and then they have a hard time controlling it. If you only play with your buddies or in leagues that use THS, you'd probably be better off starting out with a med. to med-heavy oil ball.

martinezsam2495
07-09-2012, 02:54 PM
If you're still starting out, I'd go with the Reckless......a lot of newbies make the mistake of getting a strong reactive ball, and then they have a hard time controlling it. If you only play with your buddies or in leagues that use THS, you'd probably be better off starting out with a med. to med-heavy oil ball.
I been using a Blue hammer ball for about a year now, it has good hook potential, and I can control it, right now I'm not throwing it with much hook since I'm starting at the middle of the lane, and throwing it at the 2nd arrow to hook into the pocket,

martinezsam2495
07-09-2012, 02:57 PM
that's meant for dry conditions, and when the ball returns my ball is like a sponge, and keeps all the oil,
:'(
It loses reaction after a couple of games,

billf
07-09-2012, 03:25 PM
right now I'm not throwing it with much hook since I'm starting at the middle of the lane, and throwing it at the 2nd arrow to hook into the pocket,

Sam, don't get caught up with the flash of a huge hook. Bowlers that stand on one end of the lane and roll it out across the other side and back to the pocket generally have accuracy issues and leave some really ugly splits. Being able to do it is one thing but please, please, don't rely on that style as your primary way to throw. starting in the middle, across the second arrow and back you are covering at least 17 boards. Watch the majority of the pros, they consistent winners over the years don't usually cover more boards than that.

The German Shepherd
07-09-2012, 04:57 PM
Sam, don't get caught up with the flash of a huge hook. <snip> Watch the majority of the pros, they consistent winners over the years don't usually cover more boards than that.

Excellent advice. Ask many of the more successful pros and you hear them say the same thing..."Straighter is Greater." Some have the idea that the more you can hook the ball, the better you are as a bowler. Not true.

Jay

billf
07-09-2012, 05:04 PM
Personally, my average has jumped 40 pins since I stopped trying to crank the crap out of everything. My highest games then were due to lucky carry rather than shot making ability. I'm pretty strong for a fat, old, disabled vet so i wasn't worried about the physical limitations of that style. Plus I enjoy the strange looks of being able to play boards 1-5 more than the disbelief of a back door strike lol

martinezsam2495
07-10-2012, 12:03 AM
Sam, don't get caught up with the flash of a huge hook. Bowlers that stand on one end of the lane and roll it out across the other side and back to the pocket generally have accuracy issues and leave some really ugly splits. Being able to do it is one thing but please, please, don't rely on that style as your primary way to throw. starting in the middle, across the second arrow and back you are covering at least 17 boards. Watch the majority of the pros, they consistent winners over the years don't usually cover more boards than that.
No no no, I don't start at the corner, I don't want big hook, I want power breaking into the pocket, I stand in the middle dot ( 4th dot) throw it along the 2nd arrow on the left, or the 3rd arrow, and the ball rolls down and then hooks into the pocket, I'm not playing outside or anything like that, I learned that after a few throws my ball loses it's power, so with the ball having to go through less oil, it'll hook better.

Mike White
07-10-2012, 05:03 AM
I think it was back in 1996 I was at a bowling alley watching a friend struggle in league.
As his league ended, the kid (about 16 yrs old) working behind the desk went out to practice.
My friend told me to take a look at the kid's style.

He was thru the arrows at 25, and had a break point of about 15. It appeared his plan was to throw
the ball fast enough to minimize the big jump left yet never throw it out the window.

I said to my friend, that kid has a clue.

When I quit I had tried almost everything I could think of, but I hadn't tried that with reactive resin.
I was interested in trying that line, but I never got back to the game.

A few years ago I heard that the scoring was crazy so I looked at the records online.
That kid, about 19 at the time, shot the 3rd sanctioned 900 series.

Not once did I think to myself... oh he must have got lucky.

martinezsam2495
07-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Interesting Mike... I have seen people throw it 20 m.p.h. and it looks like the ball doesn't finish it's roll, and just demolishes the pins...
He said he's been bowling with a house ball and has hit a 296 before, He lofts the ball halfway down the lane then pin action..
How was his style though?

billf
07-10-2012, 04:34 PM
25 to 15 is the line I play on most sport patterns, works very well with the proper speed, tilt and rotation. I was throwing to 20+mph from the 40 across about 25 to the 8. Yes it creates pin action and a massive entry angle but also leaves some of the nastiest splits known to man.