Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Offset thumb?

Chats: 4

I broke out my old 90's Ebonite Turbo tonight at league since it was a
    urethane ball and the lanes were just right for it and it has the offset
    thumb on it and it felt pretty good but kind of weird at the same time.

It seemed to take some of the pressure off of my shoulder but not
    enough to really help still didn't bowl all that good my shoulder is
    going to have to have something done to it not sure what but it has
    to have something done that is for sure.

I might just go back to the offset thumb on the next ball I have drilled
    just to give it a try and see what happens with it.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Ok I'm like the kid at Christmas who can't wait for his presents. I was going to wait until summer but I took the plunge and going into the Pro Shop on Monday to drill up 3 balls with an offset. A Radical Intel, Radical Katana Legend and a Storm Mix. I'll let everyone know how it goes, I also have league Monday so depending how it feels, I may use them for league.

Cranker

So I drilled up 3 balls with an offset thumb today and used it in league tonight. I didn't get a chance to really practice with it so I basically threw it in league for the first time and was above average. 175, 213,218 for a 606 series. I'm currently carrying a 190 avg so I was slightly above average. The 175 game should have been better because I completely whiffed on a 6-10 spare in the 10th frame for an open. That was my only makeable spare miss.

Anyway first impressions, I love it. I do feel like I have a really clean release now, My cuticle on the right side of the thumb is all chewed up from a friction burn on my old grip. With the offset thumb, I felt none of that friction and I felt my thumb timing was much improved. I also felt I was getting a little more revs tonight, there were about 3 balls I threw for splits that I thought were good off my hand but hooked more than I expected because of the increased rev rate. So I'm excited to for the change and really happy I did it.

Cranker

I'm really loving the offset thumb drilling. It was only moved 1/4 of an inch but what a difference. Thumb timing is something I've always struggled with and I don't think I've ever had the ball come off my hand so clean and consistently. Tonight in my Mixed league I bowled a 680 series, 212,233,235.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonNJ View Post
    I'm really loving the offset thumb drilling. It was only moved 1/4 of an inch but what a difference. Thumb timing is something I've always struggled with and I don't think I've ever had the ball come off my hand so clean and consistently. Tonight in my Mixed league I bowled a 680 series, 212,233,235.
    Keep us updated on how you like it. I've been considering it since I have a pretty stiff right hand. I actually have a callus formed at the base of my thumb where it reaches my palm. Not sure if that's normal or not.

Went to a local PSO who I'm starting to trust just to ask him his thoughts on it. Told him that I felt like my thumb getting out of the ball is the biggest issue with my accuracy right now. He suggested that my span was just a touch too long and I should try shortening that up to relax my hand more before going to an "offset" grip. I left one ball with him to do that with so we'll see how it goes.

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by mx1alex View Post
    Went to a local PSO who I'm starting to trust just to ask him his thoughts on it. Told him that I felt like my thumb getting out of the ball is the biggest issue with my accuracy right now. He suggested that my span was just a touch too long and I should try shortening that up to relax my hand more before going to an "offset" grip. I left one ball with him to do that with so we'll see how it goes.

Yeah having a span too long or too short will give you release issues. Hopefully that helps you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12