Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: 2nd Annual Billy Hardwick Memorial Aslan vs. ZDawg Southern California Inviational

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    How's the knee bruise?
    Summer is great time to tweak your game.
    Best way to describe the look is imagine taking a line drive off the knee with a softball (not really soft)

At least it's not my sliding knee.

I practiced a little on Monday morning after I drilled a ball for a guy.

Shot 266 getting warmed up, then 195 trying to reduce the bounce (it only got worse), then the guy having just shot 258 with his new ball wanted to play for $$$.

I shot 269, spare, eight bagger, spare, strike to his 235.. Cha-ching

It's nice to be in a place that keeps the environment clean.

It appears Aslan has been instructed on ball surface options, and a better system for moving his target and feet.

The ball he was using looked like it was sanded with either 500 or even 360 grit.

His release isn't much better, but the surface makes the ball roll, and being able to keep the ball closer to the oil line keeps his 1st ball in play more often.

As for his commentary.... it's just a solid wall of nonsense.

Like when I left a solid pocket 9 pin (in game 2), and he said it was just like his 9 pin (in game 1).. I guess he forgot his 9 pin was a brooklyn hit.

The one I think that hurt the most was game 2, frame 7. Where he looked like he was going to leave an 8-10 split but got the 10 to fall, then I went up and tugged the ball slightly, and left my own 8-10. Urethane HATES the amount of oil that is needed to hold back resin balls, and I paid the price.

Chats: 204

Here is the first half of Game 3:

At this point, MWhite led Aslan scratch by a mere 3 pins (419 to 416) with ZDawg far behind (scratch) with a 310.

However, adding in handicap, I had a 474 to 419 advantage on Mike and ZDawg was not nearly as far behind at 394.

The first 5 frames were rough for everyone. Mike and I opened with doubles, but also opened. And ZDawg opened twice. After the 5th frame, Mike was still < 10 pins ahead of Aslan scratch and ZDawg was about 44 pins back of Mike for 2nd (however, he gets 42 pins in handicap). So barring a complete collapse by Aslan in the final 5 frames…the championship was his to lose…but still battles were left to win as ZDawg still was putting pressure on Mike for 2nd place and Aslan was still in striking distance of Mike for a scratch victory.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

And the FINALE!!

The slow start gave way to a flurry of strikes in the 2nd half. ZDawg started it off in the 6th with a 4-bagger. Aslan put up a turkey starting in the 7th frame. And Mike definitely 'got it done' by striking out (5-bagger) starting in the 8th.

At the end of the day, Aslan's big 246 performance in Game 2 made it nearly impossible for Mike to catch him. Obviously I was hoping to beat him scratch…but I had two frames where I left and chopped the 2-4-5-7-8 and then just like in Game 1…I couldn't pick up a 10-pin in the 10th frame. At the end of the day, those two missed single 10-pins in the 10th (Game 1 and Game 3) were the difference between beating Mike scratch or settling for a handicap victory. Aslan finished well ahead (+62 pins) of the competition to REPEAT as Champion!!

But there still was a story…ZDawg was still within striking distance of Mike. Last year, ZDawg fell barely short of taking 1st place and had to settle for 2nd place. This year, he was right there with Mike in those last 5 frames…and when the smoke cleared…Mike's valiant effort to strike out garnered him a SHARE of 2nd place as they TIED with 621s. Mike's was a 621 scratch. ZDawg bowled a 495 +126hcp = 621.

So…sweet, sweet justice as Mike's "altered/simplified" handicap calculation…that gave ZDawg more handicap not taking into account his performances as of late…ended up costing him sole possession of 2nd place. And Aslan's "prediction/trash talk" where he merely hoped that MWhite and ZDawg would tie for 2nd…well…most people can't be right ALL of the time…but some of us can.

Three very different styles on display when you watch the video. Mike and his high rev release with noticeable slide using weaker, lighter equipment. Aslan with a much straighter shot, lower revs…maybe a bit more ball speed and 16lb, 500 surfaced, medium strength equipment. And then there was ZDawg and his lower speed, moderate rev release…15lb equipment…but nothing too strong. I think he was just throwing a Cyclone.

The turning points:
    1) Mike falling in the 2nd frame of Game 2. It's very hard to recover from a foul or a ball sticking on your hand or a fall. But for Mike it was doubly terrible because he's the only one that has a pronounced slide in his approach.
    2) Aslan's 6-bagger to start Game 2 not only gave him a commanding lead, but it came at the perfect time as Mike was not only recovering from the fall…but also facing a juggernaut at the same time.
    3) Mike's strong finish in Game 3 allowed him to stay competitive with ZDawg. It would have been wasy after the fall and Aslan's 246 to just pack it in…but he competed to the very end and his shots were actually best in those final frames.
    4) ZDawg finally coming to life in Game 3 rolling a 185 really saved him.
    5) Open 10th frames!!! Aslan opened in the 10th of Game 1 missing a single 10-pin. MWhite left a 6-7-10 in the 10th of Game 1, ruining what could have been a 280s game. And in Game 3, Aslan AGAIN missed a single 10-pin in the 10th and then ZDawg opened in the 10th as well.

Better luck next year kids!! Not sure where we're having it next year. I might have to work out a deal with MWhite to give up some handicap in exchange for him making a trip closer to San Diego. I hate to repeat at Murrieta back-to-back…but I really don't like the prospect of bowling at Temecula again. So either ZDawg makes the 2-hour trip to Orange County or Riverside County…or Mike and I bite the bullet and meet ZDawg closer to San Diego. I heard there's a bowling alley at Pechanga…like a bowling alley for their tribe's private use. That might be an option if I can charm them into letting us host the event there…and it would be a rare opportunity to bowl somewhere you usually don't have access to. But…lots of time to think about that and just really to enjoy the moment…idolize Aslan a bit…recognize his massive talent…and go from there.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    And the FINALE!!

The slow start gave way to a flurry of strikes in the 2nd half. ZDawg started it off in the 6th with a 4-bagger. Aslan put up a turkey starting in the 7th frame. And Mike definitely 'got it done' by striking out (5-bagger) starting in the 8th.

At the end of the day, Aslan's big 246 performance in Game 2 made it nearly impossible for Mike to catch him. Obviously I was hoping to beat him scratch…but I had two frames where I left and chopped the 2-4-5-7-8 and then just like in Game 1…I couldn't pick up a 10-pin in the 10th frame. At the end of the day, those two missed single 10-pins in the 10th (Game 1 and Game 3) were the difference between beating Mike scratch or settling for a handicap victory. Aslan finished well ahead (+62 pins) of the competition to REPEAT as Champion!!

If you want to play the "If I'd A" game then if I'd carried the 4 pin in the 1st game, the solid 9, and the ring 10 pin (all of which I spared) in the 2nd game, I would have shot 673 scratch.

Those weren't shots I was way off the mark, like throwing the ball into the gutter half way down while trying for a 10 pin.

Add to the "If I'd a", with an "If I hadn't a" stepped in a water puddle threw a strike (like I did on the spare shot) I would have shot higher.

If we do this again, we have to find a time that isn't a zoo atmosphere.

Notice when we went to Vegas, it was clean, calm, and you got crushed.

Good stuff. Great game by all. Mike you still have a very smooth release and form

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    IIf we do this again, we have to find a time that isn't a zoo atmosphere.

Notice when we went to Vegas, it was clean, calm, and you got crushed.
    Some of us…we can bowl in a multitude of centers and environments. Others of us…have to ensure that the conditions and ambience and lighting and carpeting, etc… are absolutely perfect…or we can't bowl.

Don't be too upset. I'm sure we'll face off head-to-head again and maybe then I'll be giving you the handicap to make things fair.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Some of us…we can bowl in a multitude of centers and environments. Others of us…have to ensure that the conditions and ambience and lighting and carpeting, etc… are absolutely perfect…or we can't bowl.

Don't be too upset. I'm sure we'll face off head-to-head again and maybe then I'll be giving you the handicap to make things fair.
    Oh yeah you can bowl in many conditions, but you bowl bad in those conditions, which explains why you average 160's.

I tend to bowl where the game is taken a bit more seriously, and therefore average much higher.

Yet since I've bowled better, some how you deserve help to improve your chances of winning.

With the exception of the time we bowled on lanes so bad they were removing them, you've never bowled better than I did.

In all the weeks at Norco, even with their **** pour cleaning of the approaches, you never beat me for the series.

So I guess it makes sense to search out the extremes for conditions which you are "used" too.

Chats: 39

Looks like fun.....wish I could join you guys sometime. It'd be a bit of a trip for me though .
    Company League Average: 198.1
    City League Average: 186.5
    WTBA Sport pattern League Average: 172.9
    Current Arsenal: Roto Grip Nomad Pearl, Wrecker, and Hyper Cell; Track 920A and 505A; Storm Tropical Breeze; Plastic Spare Ball

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hampe View Post
    Looks like fun.....wish I could join you guys sometime. It'd be a bit of a trip for me though .
    Based on what we've run into during open bowling times, it might be worth it to fly out to your neck of the woods.

I'll be honest, you should only brag when you beat someone scratch.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast