Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Input on my release

Chats: 1

Default Input on my release

Attached is a link of a video for my release. I tend to roll over the thumb a lot. Can anyone show me or tell me what's wrong with my release that's causing me to thump down the lane and how to correct it.

https://db.tt/pEkPnxSfV2

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

It looks like your turning the ball early.

Try getting your hand in a position that's more under the ball in your stance and try to hold that hand position throughout the swing and release.

A little more like this:

Make sure your thumb is coming out clean also. Releasing the thumb late can cause the ball to track over the thumb.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    It looks like your turning the ball early.

Try getting your hand in a position that's more under the ball in your stance and try to hold that hand position throughout the swing and release.

A little more like this:

Make sure your thumb is coming out clean also. Releasing the thumb late can cause the ball to track over the thumb.
    Thumb always comes out clean and first. I'll try to figure out how to keep my hand below the ball more. Question: if my and is on the ball like your picture "Photo B" wont I come up behind the ball too much and roll the thumb anyway?

Thanks,

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by drlawsoniii View Post
    Question: if my hand is on the ball like your picture "Photo B" wont I come up behind the ball too much and roll the thumb anyway? Thanks,
    I'm not really good at describing the hand motions. Rob probably could do better.

If you come "straight up" the back of the ball and roll it end over end like your throwing a straight ball at a ten pin, yes you can roll it over the thumbhole. But when rolling your regular shot your not coming straight up the back, your hand will turn as you come through the ball.

Maybe this would give a better visual

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

Grrrr....I struggle with this all the time, usually when I rush it.

Quote Originally Posted by santos314 View Post
    Grrrr....I struggle with this all the time, usually when I rush it.
    That's a good observation, it's a common problem for many of us, I do the same thing, either rushing the approach or throwing the ball instead of just letting my arm motion provide the propulsion. I found even when keeping my footwork in order I would arm the ball down the lane, by keeping an eye on my speed I can more quickly recognize it and got back on track.
    I don't roll the ball over the thumb hole except when I throw a straight ball coming up the back with my pointer finger in tight and little finger spread wide.

Read up on axis tilt and axis rotation to get a better understanding what you are doing upon releasing the ball. Also, it will be helpful too to know these things when someone coaches you.

Your release is similar to what I used to be. I rolled over my thumb, I had medium/low rev rate, and low speed. Also, I used to think I had to help the ball hook at release instead of letting the ball do its job. This made me turn my hand early. Turning the ball early is one thing that creeps up from time to time, it's more of a chicken wing for me.

In my humble opinion, forget about your release for now. You need to find a coach, a good coach, and work on the back of the approach. I could see things in your game that you can improve on, and once you get these things down, your release will improve. Your release is the last thing you should concern yourself with for now. If you're serious about getting better, get coached even if you don't plan to be a tournament bowler or more.
    bowlingboards.com bowling ball winner!!

Read up on axis tilt and axis rotation to get a better understanding what you are doing upon releasing the ball. Also, it will be helpful too to know these things when someone coaches you.

Your release is similar to what I used to be. I rolled over my thumb, I had medium/low rev rate, and low speed. Also, I used to think I had to help the ball hook at release instead of letting the ball do its job. This made me turn my hand early. Turning the ball early is one thing that creeps up from time to time, it's more of a chicken wing for me.

In my humble opinion, forget about your release for now. You need to find a coach, a good coach, and work on the back of the approach. I could see things in your game that you can improve on, and once you get these things down, your release will improve. Your release is the last thing you should concern yourself with for now. If you're serious about getting better, get coached even if you don't plan to be a tournament bowler or more.
    bowlingboards.com bowling ball winner!!

My concern now is that I currently carry a 186 average throwing the way I do, If I go to try to change my release am I going to have a bit of a drop off for a while?

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by drlawsoniii View Post
    My concern now is that I currently carry a 186 average throwing the way I do, If I go to try to change my release am I going to have a bit of a drop off for a while?
    You might until you get use to the new release, But the summer season is the time to work on these things.

Work on it in practice and as you get the hang of it start to incorporate it into your league play.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast