Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: League bowler

Chats: 32

If the problem is absenteeism then that can be an issue especially if she doesn't contact you in time to get a sub. Just because someone bowls poorly in a handicap league doesn't really hurt the team. I'll take a consistent 120 bowler over the woman who averages 160 but is inconsistent in a handicap league. If your not happy with your current team members towards the end of the season put out feelers to some other teams the feel similar to what you do. I wouldn't say anything out poor performance other wise you'll be the one looking like an ***.

You may want to make sure your on the right league for what you expect. If you only want to bowl with higher tier bowlers you may want to look into scratch or high money leagues that tend to not have those types of bowlers.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 2

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    This is a pretty sad thread. If it's that important for you to win, join a scratch or almost-scratch league where all of the bowlers are as competitive as you are. If you choose to bowl in a recreational league, go for the recreation and just have fun. Given the choice, in a recreational league, personally I'd rather bowl with the lady who doesn't take it seriously than with you.
    I think there may be an issue with this. Since this guy is kinda being an a-hole, I guess I can kinda be as well. According to bowl.com, this guy averages in the 170s. I dunno what kinda scratch stuff you bowl in Vegas Rob, but I know anything I've bowled scratch, you damn near gotta add another 60-70 pins on top of that to even be in the ballpark. Not trying to sound like too much of an a-hole myself, but sounds like not only this female needs some lessons, but maybe the OP needs some lessons as well.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

Default This post is aggrevating...

I'm going to make a few assumptions/comments that may or may not be correct, but I think they are good for this conversation:

1. I'm going to assume this isn't a serious league, being that the bowler in question is a 160 bowler.
    2. Either you brought this person along in the league (so you had an idea of what could happen) or you had this person assigned to your team [or you joined this team] (in both cases if you are this worried about your teammate you need to grow your own team)
    3. Reading the description about the bowler you gave, attendance was not the first concern; it was that they throw a straight ball and are not that good. If this wasn't the case your comment would of mentioned attendance first and may or may not have mentioned ability.

Obviously it will not look good when you kick the bowler off of the team, but that is your team's choice. Sounds like you are bowling a mom and pop handicap league which likely means there isn't a huge prize fund that you are fighting for so it may not be worth the effort. Also, I would highly recommend comparing this bowler's attendance to the rest of the league; in the instance it isn't horrific compared to the rest of the league they may not understand.
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

Quote Originally Posted by chip82901 View Post
    I think there may be an issue with this. Since this guy is kinda being an a-hole, I guess I can kinda be as well. According to bowl.com, this guy averages in the 170s. I dunno what kinda scratch stuff you bowl in Vegas Rob, but I know anything I've bowled scratch, you damn near gotta add another 60-70 pins on top of that to even be in the ballpark. Not trying to sound like too much of an a-hole myself, but sounds like not only this female needs some lessons, but maybe the OP needs some lessons as well.
    Since my spine decided to start disintegrating, I too average in the 170's, mostly throwing a plastic spare ball because of my lack of ball speed. Because of my inability to average, I quit bowling in scratch and almost scratch leagues. I now bowl exclusively in two recreational leagues. If the bowler who put up the post is averaging in the 170's, then he should be the one looking to take some lessons to get him to the point where he can bowl with bowlers who want to win as bad as he does. In the meantime, he needs to mellow out and let the recreational bowlers have the fun that they're looking for.

Chats: 2

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Since my spine decided to start disintegrating, I too average in the 170's, mostly throwing a plastic spare ball because of my lack of ball speed. Because of my inability to average, I quit bowling in scratch and almost scratch leagues. I now bowl exclusively in two recreational leagues. If the bowler who put up the post is averaging in the 170's, then he should be the one looking to take some lessons to get him to the point where he can bowl with bowlers who want to win as bad as he does. In the meantime, he needs to mellow out and let the recreational bowlers have the fun that they're looking for.
    I agree with that completely. Sorry to hear about the back man. I have battled some knee issues myself in the last 8 years or so that hasn't let me play to my best abilities. I'm in the upper 190's in the toughest house in WY right now, but 7-8 years ago I was in the mid 2 teens in the same house. I still average well outside of my home center when I bowl tournaments though and would much rather bowl scratch tourneys.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Chats: 55

Wow...so glad the OP is not my teammate. I've been battling a bad case of lateral epicondylitis in my right elbow since May/June. At the beginning of fall/winter league, I asked all my league teams if they were ok with me bowling left handed - assuming I might average 100. Everyone of my teammates on my 3 leagues were and still are, very supportive of my mediocre (at best) bowling with averages in the 78-85 range. I am just not coordinated with my left hand apparently.

My teammates are always encouraging no matter how I bowl, and are always supportive and telling me how they admire my passion to participate rather than being benched until my right elbow is rehabbed enough to handle bowling.

Perhaps with more encouragement, support and perhaps a few tips, this bowler might feel more like part of the team rather than an outcast and then might "want" to perform better as a teammate. There are always two sides to every story.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

As far as how the woman bowls, that's just the way it is. But I can understand the OP's frustration if she is not there on a regular basis. I'm going to take the other side and say the OP is not an a**** like some of you assume, but just frustrated. Lighten up guys, it's not like you know him.

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
    As far as how the woman bowls, that's just the way it is. But I can understand the OP's frustration if she is not there on a regular basis. I'm going to take the other side and say the OP is not an a**** like some of you assume, but just frustrated. Lighten up guys, it's not like you know him.
    There may be some truth here. I've bowled with the teammates that were more interested in the woman three lanes over or refilling their beer pitcher than bowling and it sucks. I would suggest rather than trying to remove the teammate spend your time trying to make friends with the other bowlers around you so you can find a team that fits what your looking for better next season
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

2 years ago, I had a situation where 2 of my teammates were only interested in socializing and getting high 5's for every frame no matter what they did. It was annoying as all get out.

BUT, by the same token, I committed to bowling for the entire season and I wasn't going to quit. I just moved on after the season was over.

I love competition and challenge, and I'm wired to do the best I can every time out. I want to be not only the best, but to be respected as a bowler as well.

Even at the age of 55 with a few ailments, I'm trying to get better every time I hit the lanes, whether it's during practice or any kind of competition.

As a staffer for many different companies, I try my best for personal goals and for the companies I represent as well, whether it's the entire Brunswick family, Lane Side Reviews, Creating the Difference, Vise or as a Director on the Southern Nevada USBC.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12