Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sciatic Pain

Chats: 2

Default Sciatic Pain

Has anyone ever dealt with this? Every now and then my hips go (from previous moto x/bmx injuries), but lately it has been KILLING my sciatic. I bowled 2 games last night, both which were no where near my average and finally took my blind the last game. I went to the chiropractor and massage therapist 2 weeks ago and it helped for about a week. If you've dealt with this, what did you do to help correct it and relieve some pain?
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Chats: 0
    Average: 190, High Game: 285, High Series 718
    In the bag: Radical More Cash, Track Paradox Pearl, Track Tundra, Storm Super Natural

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Most people that I know with this problem have a exercise program that keeps flare-ups to a minimum. Yoga is supposed to help too.
    John

Ringer

I deal with this type of pain all the time, stretching and Naproxen seems to help for me. (I am not a DR or pharmacist and cannot recommend medication). also warming up before bowling. I feel for you.

I have been battling sciatica off and on since 2003. The most effective treatment for me, by far, is acupuncture. When sciatica flares up, three treatments usually knock it down. One word of warning: make sure that you find a Chinese Doctor for your treatment. It takes 100 hours of training for Western Doctors to become certified, while Chinese Doctors attend college for five years to learn the skill.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    I have been battling sciatica off and on since 2003. The most effective treatment for me, by far, is acupuncture. When sciatica flares up, three treatments usually knock it down. One word of warning: make sure that you find a Chinese Doctor for your treatment. It takes 100 hours of training for Western Doctors to become certified, while Chinese Doctors attend college for five years to learn the skill.
    There are a few people in my area that do acupuncture. Only issue, it's middle of nowhere Wyoming lol. My chiropractor used to practice it, and I believe still does for a few patients. He gave it up awhile back as he just didn't have enough customers. He is still licensed I believe. Maybe I'll try to talk him into it.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl

I used to deal with pretty bad sciatic pain almost all time. I have always played a lot of disc golf, it especially hurt then. It's brought me down to the floor many times the pain was so bad. The pain was worst at my heaviest. I used to be 234 pounds, I'm now 186 and since I've been around 200 or less, I haven't had any more pain. Same goes for lower back pain, losing weight has solved that issue as well.

I too tried therapy and massages, special stretches, yoga, and nothing really helped besides losing weight.

Ringer

[QUOTE=GaryP;163445]I used to deal with pretty bad sciatic pain almost all time. I have always played a lot of disc golf, it especially hurt then. It's brought me down to the floor many times the pain was so bad. The pain was worst at my heaviest. I used to be 234 pounds, I'm now 186 and since I've been around 200 or less, I haven't had any more pain. Same goes for lower back pain, losing weight has solved that issue as well.

Good point, I sometimes wonder how much of my problems come from me being around 230.
    good incentive to get into better shape.

When an Orthopedic Surgeon reviewed my MRI several years ago, he commented that my back was so bad that he could cut me 9 times and never fix it. I asked him if losing weight would lessen my pain. He said it wouldn't make any difference at all, but it would be good for my overall health. I still bowl. I still play golf. I'm still fat!

[QUOTE=bdpeters;163452]
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryP View Post
    I used to deal with pretty bad sciatic pain almost all time. I have always played a lot of disc golf, it especially hurt then. It's brought me down to the floor many times the pain was so bad. The pain was worst at my heaviest. I used to be 234 pounds, I'm now 186 and since I've been around 200 or less, I haven't had any more pain. Same goes for lower back pain, losing weight has solved that issue as well.

Good point, I sometimes wonder how much of my problems come from me being around 230.
    good incentive to get into better shape.
    I've been between 185-200 for the last 12 years or so. This issue has really mainly been this bowling season. I've adjusted my approach to help a bit, but it still seems to be an issue. No one in my town currently does acupuncture either, so that's out of the question. I'm going to try strengthening the muscles in my lower back and see if that helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast