Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PBA lane differences: 5/8/22

Default PBA lane differences: 5/8/22

For those of you who watched the PBA telecast on Sunday (Mother's Day), what do you think caused the large disparity between the two lanes on the telecast?

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    For those of you who watched the PBA telecast on Sunday (Mother's Day), what do you think caused the large disparity between the two lanes on the telecast?
    I recorded it, haven’t watch it yet.

In the earlier shows Randy Pederson has been raving about the perfect Kegel Training center lanes and pin decks where everything is dead level and perfectly flat. One would have to think that topography could not be the correct answer.
    John

High Roller
    Chats: 0

I only watched the first game so far but thought they said they were not at Kegel this week? But I did see the difference but I fast forwarded through it so didn't put much thought into it
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Chats: 55

I would say topography played a large part in the difference. With the specto recordings, it was very evident. Even with an untrained eye you could see the balls jump and not hold what a true line would be. Glad that wasn't me trying to manage those lanes.

If it had been somethings other than topography, the ball changes, ball speed and release changes would have had more of an impact than they did. That is...in my humble opinion.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    I recorded it, haven’t watch it yet.

In the earlier shows Randy Pederson has been raving about the perfect Kegel Training center lanes and pin decks where everything is dead level and perfectly flat. One would have to think that topography could not be the correct answer.
    Today's show was shot at a different bowling center, not Kegel.

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post
    I would say topography played a large part in the difference. With the specto recordings, it was very evident. Even with an untrained eye you could see the balls jump and not hold what a true line would be. Glad that wasn't me trying to manage those lanes.

If it had been somethings other than topography, the ball changes, ball speed and release changes would have had more of an impact than they did. That is...in my humble opinion.
    As RP would say, "Winner, winner, Chicken Dinner!" LOL

High Roller

Just got done watching it and was gonna post that you could almost see the ball bounce off the surface just before the breakpoint on the right lane
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

I was going to say the same Topography. Straighter was the way to go on that alley. They could not get the ball to slow down in the right spot on that alley and caused a lot of grief. I thought Prather had it figured out when he switched to the Dark Code but the missed the headpin again. I even said good shot on a couple of them and they missed the headpin. Was a tough shot and Kudos to Troup and Jones. Steve
    Current arsenal...Roto Grip Nuclear Cell, Hustle PBR, Roto Grip Gem, Idle Helios and Own It Spare. 300 rev rate, 16 mph off hand, 13.3 tilt,61 degrees rotation pap 4 9/16 over 1 1/8 up.

Kyle Troop won the first match and who won the second? We went out for Mother's Day and I missed the second match. Did Tommy win?
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

Yes, Tommy won.

As for the topography issues, I think that they were much more complex than many of you think. The negative topography on the right side on the right lane was pretty obvious early on. As the show progressed, there were also issues with positive topography on that right lane when the ball missed the breakpoint left. I'm pretty sure that what we saw was a bump or bulge in the lane surface that sent the ball downhill to the right on the outside, and downhill to the left on the inside.

I think that there was a similar situation on the left lane, but it was less obvious on the outside. As the players migrated left, the balls started diving left off of the topography. By the end, the left lane was just about as tough as the right lane. This is a good lesson about how topography issues change, becoming more or less apparent, as the oil dries up at the end of the pattern.

Next two weekends should be interesting. I wonder if they are going to use the same pair!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast