Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Struggling to Increase Ball Speed

Default Struggling to Increase Ball Speed

This has been a big problem for me. I have tried moving my feet faster, stepping back further, all while trying to keep a smooth swing without forcing it. Right now with one hand, being left handed, my speed is around 12 mph. I struggle with consistency hitting the pocket because my speed is to slow, and It over hooks due to the slower speed.

When I get my speed up to 14-15 mph throwing 2 handed, my ball has great reaction.

What would be the cause for the slower speed? I have even tried holding the ball lower and I actually have a fairly long backswing as well. Any tips would be great.

thanks
    Last edited by bowlingwebster; 04-12-2016 at 11:17 AM.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by bowlingwebster View Post
    This has been a big problem for me. I have tried moving my feet faster, stepping back further, all while trying to keep a smooth swing without forcing it. Right now with one hand, being left handed, my speed is around 12 mph. I struggle with consistency hitting the pocket because my speed is to slow, and It over hooks due to the slower speed.

When I get my speed up to 14-15 mph throwing 2 handed, my ball has great reaction.

What would be the cause for the slower speed? I have even tried holding the ball higher, and I actually have a fairly long backswing as well. Any tips would be great.

thanks
    Holding the ball higher causes slower speed, not higher.

Speed = distance divided by time.

Starting the ball lower, makes the time period from when the ball starts swinging down (going back) to when the ball reaches the bottom of the swing (going forward) shorter.

If you stand is the same place as before, and reach the release point (distance from foul line) the same, you've maintained distance, while decreasing time.

Reducing the denominator increases the quotient (answer to the division problem)

Speed is better generated from the large muscles in your legs, than the "smaller" muscles in your arm.

The muscles in your arm, when activated, tend to have a negative effect on accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post

Starting the ball lower, makes the time period from when the ball starts swinging down (going back) to when the ball reaches the bottom of the swing (going forward) shorter.

If you stand is the same place as before, and reach the release point (distance from foul line) the same, you've maintained distance, while decreasing time.

Reducing the denominator increases the quotient (answer to the division problem)

Speed is better generated from the large muscles in your legs, than the "smaller" muscles in your arm.

The muscles in your arm, when activated, tend to have a negative effect on accuracy.

Ok, so what you are saying is if I hold the ball lower I should be able to increase my speed by a few mphs, and I do not need to stand further back. I have heard people say the speed is from the lower muscles, I just do not quite get how I can get them to activate for more speed as I keep my arm relax. DO I simply need to slide deeper? Or is early or late timing causing me not to activate my lower muscles?

thanks for tips so far.

Chats: 32

I have a similar issue. My typical ball speed is in the 11.5 to 12.5 range on the monitors. I have tried many different things holding the ball higher, lower, speeding my approach, moving farther back on the approach and the most I have been able to change my speed is by about 1 mph. I've even experimented with throwing lighter balls 14 instead of 15 lbs. adds about .25 mph not worth it to me. The truth is as far as I can tell you can make minor changes .5 to 1 mph but your not getting much more than that through any of these methods. The best advice I have received is to throw less aggressive equipment, learn to use different hand positions, and have a plastic ball with a core that you can use on those conditions that just nothing else stays on the lane.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

simply put..... the feet follows the swing. Not the other way around.

So if you "shorten" your relaxed swing, your feet has to catch up, thus your cadence is faster. Also, the push off foot is the last "booster" or nitro to get your ball moving.

But.... I don't know how you look at the approach so it's hard to say. Best is to go see a coach if one is available.

Quote Originally Posted by fokai73 View Post
    simply put..... the feet follows the swing. Not the other way around.

So if you "shorten" your relaxed swing, your feet has to catch up, thus your cadence is faster. Also, the push off foot is the last "booster" or nitro to get your ball moving.

But.... I don't know how you look at the approach so it's hard to say. Best is to go see a coach if one is available.

Ok I should try to shorten my swing to gain ball speed. I will try that today as I practice. I will also make a video when I go today so you guys can get a better idea of how I look at the approach, swing and all. I will actually do my one handed version, as well as my two handed version to see how I can increase speed.

I just do not get how Im very athletic and I see these other guys get so much ball speed vs mine, so Im sure a video of me will help with figuring out why. I appreciate all of the tips.

Quote Originally Posted by bowlingwebster View Post
    Ok I should try to shorten my swing to gain ball speed. I will try that today as I practice. I will also make a video when I go today so you guys can get a better idea of how I look at the approach, swing and all. I will actually do my one handed version, as well as my two handed version to see how I can increase speed.

I just do not get how Im very athletic and I see these other guys get so much ball speed vs mine, so Im sure a video of me will help with figuring out why. I appreciate all of the tips.
    You conveniently skipped the best advice given: go see a qualified coach. In a great majority of cases, lack of ball speed is a direct result of poor timing; usually late. A coach will get your timing straightened out which will get you the ball speed that you want without messing with the rest of your game.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    You conveniently skipped the best advice given: go see a qualified coach. In a great majority of cases, lack of ball speed is a direct result of poor timing; usually late. A coach will get your timing straightened out which will get you the ball speed that you want without messing with the rest of your game.
    ok great. What is the best way to find one in my area? I searched for a few near me, but they were low level. Thanks again.

Go to the USBC website, www.bowl.com, and look under "Find a.... Coach" in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post

Until last week, I used to hold my ball in a similar manner that Mark Roth did (used to be able to crank it like he could too..lol)

However, after being away for 25 years and seeing how much changed, I had to change.

I can only use 12 pound balls (bad shoulder, knee, back) with a very short arm swing.

Last week I had to have 2 kidney stones lasered and had a stent put in, so I had to change again to reduce strain and went with a similar approach that Marshall Holman had.

While my doc didn't say I couldn't bowl, I didn't ask him either..lol

The results since? 642 & 630 series. Better approach and release on both nights, and I'm going to stick with it.

It isn't always about speed as it is your rev rate and ability to work the angles that are present/available for the night.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast