Thread: Member-No Show; non-responsive

Chats: 55

Default Member-No Show; non-responsive

We have a member on our league that has been a no-show for 5 weeks. After the first or second missed week, the team captain made contact through telephone messages and learned he had hurt his ankle. Team captain asked him to let him know if he would be able to bowl each week. Member has not made contact since then. Team captain has called, and secretary has sent text messages.

The team is willing to make up lost fees, and do not desire to cause the bowler any suspension for non-payment, but they would like to be able to replace the bowler with someone who shows up. Does the league need to go through the formal process of removing a member to do this?

The league rules state: "...Absentee's average may not be used for more than 2 weeks in succession unless approved by the executive board, and the bowler is current in league fees."

As such, the team wants to just replace him without any additional attempts to contact, nor any formal process. Legal?

Thoughts and ideas?
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post
    We have a member on our league that has been a no-show for 5 weeks. After the first or second missed week, the team captain made contact through telephone messages and learned he had hurt his ankle. Team captain asked him to let him know if he would be able to bowl each week. Member has not made contact since then. Team captain has called, and secretary has sent text messages.

The team is willing to make up lost fees, and do not desire to cause the bowler any suspension for non-payment, but they would like to be able to replace the bowler with someone who shows up. Does the league need to go through the formal process of removing a member to do this?

The league rules state: "...Absentee's average may not be used for more than 2 weeks in succession unless approved by the executive board, and the bowler is current in league fees."

As such, the team wants to just replace him without any additional attempts to contact, nor any formal process. Legal?

Thoughts and ideas?
    I have lots of thoughts. The first is that unless the league has a rule limiting teams to certain number on the roster just find someone who will show up and add them to the roster. Might be a problem when the first bowler's ankle heals but I think we all would like the problem of having too many bowlers.

I think according to USBC rules the team captain holds the franchise for his or her team and can remove and add players to the team at will.

Did the team pay up for the missing bowler each week? I know that by the letter of the rules the bowler must not be in arrears, but most leagues will ignore an individual being behind as long as the team is up to date.

Did the executive board vote to allow the continued use of the absent bowler's blind score?

As I understand it, non-profit organizations can lose their non-profit status it it becomes known that they are not following their own by-laws. Probably would never happen but who knows what might happen if someone gets ticked off.

As to whether it's legal to replace the bowler without trying to contact him or holding a formal vote or other due process I don't know. It probably depends on the exact wording of your league rules, whether the league is USBC affiliated and possibly some other things that only a lawyer would know. If I were his team captain I would call him, tell him that he's missed five weeks without notifying anyone and therefore is being replaced.
    John

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post

Thoughts and ideas?
    Here's from the USBC commonly asked questions:
    Can a captain remove a member of the team during the season?
    Rule 104a, Item 7 states, it is within the captain’s authority to remove any bowler permanently from a team. However, the captain must furnish good and sufficient reason upon protest to the league board.

If bowlers are removed, and are not dismissed under Rule 115a, they are eligible to receive a prorated share of the team prize money at the end of the season, based on the number of weeks the individual contributed to the prize fund and the amount of prize money won by the team. In addition, the bowlers receive any special prizes for which they have qualified.

Yes, the captain can remove and replace the player. You can easily furnish good and sufficient reason to the league if requested. The player hasn't shown up for weeks and has not made contact with them or the league to provided any info about the situation or their plans or stayed current with the fees.

You don't have to go through the dismissal procedure since it's being done by the captains request and not done under Rule 115.

If the team is making up the money, then there is no reason to try and get the players card pulled.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 55

Thanks Bowl1820....I swear I looked through the rules, but overlooked this one. Thought there was something there, just didn't take my time.

Funny thing....as soon as I posted this, one of the members was able to make contact with the bowler and he meant his first communication with the team captain to be "he wouldn't be able to bowl" as in the rest of the season, not as the team captain understood, "can't bowl a few weeks until ankle is better".

ugh! Well, now we know we can find a replacement bowler.

Thanks again!
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150