Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I did it!

Chats: 0

Default I did it!

This could be a novel but since many of you aren't exactly appreciative of my attention to detail I'll do my best to spare them. WAY less exciting but I'll keep it bland. My dream actually came true, actually multiple dreams. I went do to TN Thursday to nail down that job I was talking about. As it turned out the guy was an asshat and the story completely changed when I got there. It was an epic fail. Short version is after that since I was already down there I hit two other bowling centers taking a chance to see what would happen. What did I have to lose?

The end of the story is I did get my job and it was actually BETTER than I could have imagined. I interviewed with a PBA Pro who I remember from when I was a kid. The pay is sick and I'm blown away. I NEVER expected an offer like this. He's the GM and I'm the manager. He said, when I start... the bowling center is mine to run, what I say goes! I really don't know how this happened and why but it happened. Yesterday was the happiest day of my life. Dream job, in a dream place and for the first time in a long time my family is proud of me. I'm also proud of myself which I don't think ever happened. Giving my 2 weeks notice Monday and get to start my new life right after. So there it is, bland and short. I'll let you guys ask the questions if you have any.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Chats: 55

Is this with one of the centers you visited on your prior visit...or totally new center? How many lanes? Bar? Arcade?

Congrats on the exciting change in your life, wish you the best and may it be everything you want it to be!
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post
    Is this with one of the centers you visited on your prior visit...or totally new center? How many lanes? Bar? Arcade?

Congrats on the exciting change in your life, wish you the best and may it be everything you want it to be!
    No, this was just a cold walk in to a place I've never been in my life. It's 52 lanes, they have a bar but it's only beer no booze. There isn't an arcade game, cosmic light and certainly no laser tag or go karts in sight. They do serve food and good food at that. This is a bowling center and that's that! It's open 24/7 and always packed. Even at 2am they have a waiting list for a lane! THIS is a place BOWLERS go, not date night. Serious stuff happens here!

Thank you Granny, I really don't even know how to act right now. Things like this don't happen to me! I could tell you so much more
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Okay wait a minute.....I just HAVE to tell this part, I don't care who don't want details. If you don't want to read it then don't, but your loss. LOL That Pro I spoke of? I bowled against him and whomped him 2 out of 3! The game he did win was by one pin. First game 205 to 206 (he won), 2nd game 279 to 249 and last game 267 to 248! That was not nearly my best series of my life but it was the most intense and best bowling I EVER did. I'm usually a down and in 7 board player, always have been. I tried that and the ball just launched past the headpin at the last minute. I ended up playing deep. I was lining up where I normally line up for the 10 pin cross lane on whatever board it is with my left foot on the last dot, throwing it on the 18 and my ball swung out to the 4 board and just took a left turn. I NEVER....EVER play a line anything close to that. I have no idea where that came from, why it worked and if I could even repeat that again? I was never that guy!

My ball was just exploding and pins were flying everywhere. My ball grew eyes and I couldn't miss after that first game. This was the coolest thing ever. After we were done, I asked him "You were sandbagging letting me win weren't you? Be honest man" He said, "Who the hell could I sandbag with you shooting a 279? Do you think I can just pull 300's out of my ***?" LOL He said, "Every part of that was legit, you won fair and square and you're one heck of a bowler" then he shook my hand. He said "I was hitting the pocket and left a 4-6 split, that isn't sandbagging that's just ridiculously bad luck" I didn't know what to say. I wish I took video of that or pictures or something but I was in pure mission mode bowling my heart out, I wasn't thinking about such things. I only wish my family was there to see that.

I can't even type this without tearing up, not ashamed to admit it. That was just the most epic high point of my life. It's amazing how life can take a complete 180 in one day! I told my son what I did and he said "I've never been more proud of you being my dad and that you taught me how to bowl. I'm going to tell EVERYONE my Dad beat a pro!!" It was a very emotional night last night after I pulled in the driveway from my trip. All I can say it was much better than having the floor mopped with me by AJ Johnson last year. This is a much better story to be able to tell. Aside from this story there is still a lot more to tell that's almost as cool.
    Bowling Center Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Okay wait a minute.....I just HAVE to tell this part, I don't care who don't want details. If you don't want to read it then don't, but your loss. LOL That Pro I spoke of? I bowled against him and whomped him 2 out of 3! The game he did win was by one pin. First game 205 to 206 (he won), 2nd game 279 to 249 and last game 267 to 248! That was not nearly my best series of my life but it was the most intense and best bowling I EVER did. I'm usually a down and in 7 board player, always have been. I tried that and the ball just launched past the headpin at the last minute. I ended up playing deep. I was lining up where I normally line up for the 10 pin cross lane on whatever board it is with my left foot on the last dot, throwing it on the 18 and my ball swung out to the 4 board and just took a left turn. I NEVER....EVER play a line anything close to that. I have no idea where that came from, why it worked and if I could even repeat that again? I was never that guy!

My ball was just exploding and pins were flying everywhere. My ball grew eyes and I couldn't miss after that first game. This was the coolest thing ever. After we were done, I asked him "You were sandbagging letting me win weren't you? Be honest man" He said, "Who the hell could I sandbag with you shooting a 279? Do you think I can just pull 300's out of my ***?" LOL He said, "Every part of that was legit, you won fair and square and you're one heck of a bowler" then he shook my hand. He said "I was hitting the pocket and left a 4-6 split, that isn't sandbagging that's just ridiculously bad luck" I didn't know what to say. I wish I took video of that or pictures or something but I was in pure mission mode bowling my heart out, I wasn't thinking about such things. I only wish my family was there to see that.

I can't even type this without tearing up, not ashamed to admit it. That was just the most epic high point of my life. It's amazing how life can take a complete 180 in one day! I told my son what I did and he said "I've never been more proud of you being my dad and that you taught me how to bowl. I'm going to tell EVERYONE my Dad beat a pro!!" It was a very emotional night last night after I pulled in the driveway from my trip. All I can say it was much better than having the floor mopped with me by AJ Johnson last year. This is a much better story to be able to tell. Aside from this story there is still a lot more to tell that's almost as cool.
    Your whole story is so amazing. You NEED to start that memoir, dude. I'm not joking around (for once). You must be walking on air now. I'm happy for you!

High Roller

Dude, tell your stories. If they don't like them then they know where they can go...lol. But seriously, that is awesome! Remember what I told you last year in an IM? Something about things working out in the end? Well here ya go!
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Yes most definitely walking on air. Now just getting through the next 2 weeks of anticipation. The hardest part is my GM don't come in until Monday so I can't give my notice until then. In the meantime, I have to keep this quiet? How on Earth am I supposed to do that working tonight and tomorrow? I can't even bring up the bowling match because they have no idea I was down in TN. Grrr! As Tom Petty says "The waiting is the hardest part."
    Bowling Center Manager

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    Dude, tell your stories. If they don't like them then they know where they can go...lol. But seriously, that is awesome! Remember what I told you last year in an IM? Something about things working out in the end? Well here ya go!
    Thanks bud, I appreciate it. I guess I was too skeptical last year to listen. Given how things USUALLY go for me it was hard not to be. I'm happy to have proven you right. I can't tell more of the story right now, I gotta go to my regular job right now until close. I'll do more after work depending or at the latest tomorrow morning. Thanks again =)
    Bowling Center Manager

High Roller

Now if those things would start going right for me...lol. My whole year has been tough. Nothing serious, just stupid things. Hope my luck turns soon...lol.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Great stories : ) And happy to hear things are working out for you!

Edit: I'm curious who the pro is, haha

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast