Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting over my target...

Default Getting over my target...

I have trouble getting the ball over my target I try to throw the ball between the 2nd and 3rd arrow but it don't allways work out that way I look at my target as I approach it but the ball doesn't go there when I do get it there its either a strike or a spare and last night I had trouble with my spares in the middle cause I couldn't get the ball over my target I knew where I wanted the ball to go it just wouldn't go there any help?

Another thing I do good in practice I get 180 182 out of 4 games then when it comes to league night I don't do as well.

I think last night in league I rushed my shot I wasn't taking my time I wasn't really there mentally and it took me all night to figure that out I finally took my time at the end and if wasn't for that I wouldn't have ended up with the score that I got wich wasn't bad I got my average but I can do better I have done better cause my highest score ever in my bowling life I made couple of weeks ago and that was a 216 but doing that league night is hard cause my nerves are working against me and the pressure is on and I want to help my team win cause we close to last place and I wanna improve to get most improve bowler and I want to help my team move up the ladder in rank so I got all that weighing on my mind league night I do better when no one is watching me and I got no worries and my dad not telling me what I am doing wrong cause I know what I am doing wrong I know I am not getting it over my mark and I am trying to hard to get it there but its like the ball has a mind of its own and don't wanna go I try to get between those arrows it just don't go maybe I need to take more time lining up my shot before I step up to the approach on spares and strikes as well and try not to rush things if only I could calm myself down down on league night block all the other people out I would do just fine. any suggestions on blocking the people out of my head?
    Last edited by bowl1820; 03-19-2013 at 08:24 AM. Reason: merge posts

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Pretty much hitting your target is a matter of practice.

Without seeing or know more about your physical style/game, there's not much else to be said. Do you miss to more to the left or right of your target? or just spray the ball all over the lane? etc.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 16

During practice, we are more relaxed, bowl at our own pace, and just burn up our own line. During league, there's allot more pressure, since you don't want to disappoint the team by not shooting well, several bowlers shooting different lines, causing oil to cross over or even carry down. When bowling for practice, try to concentrate more on accuracy by shooting at different pins or playing different lines.

Keep in mind, practice or league bowling, you may have some nights that you're off a few boards left or right of your mark and have the ball still carry and strike. There are some nights that you have to be almost precise. I had some of those nights where I just aim ANYWHERE around my mark and I can strike. There was a few nights that I miss even by 1 board right, my ball keeps going, or if I miss 1 board left, and I go Brooklyn. Just remember, you can get lucky and get strikes, but it's hard to get lucky to pick up your spares.
    - Ed

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________________
    Equipment: Hammer 1st Blood (RICO Layout @1500 Polished), Hammer Taboo (RICO Layout @2000 Polished), Hammer Taboo Blue/Silver (RICO Layout @4000), Storm Natural Pearl, Hammer Razyr, Ebonite Maxim

League Average (THS): 207
    High Game Score: 279 (9 in a row)
    High 3 Game Series: 788

PAP: 5 3/4 right 1/4 up
    Ball Speed: Mid 15-16 (Tweener)

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by WolfGirl1980 View Post
    I have trouble getting the ball over my target I try to throw the ball between the 2nd and 3rd arrow but it don't allways work out that way I look at my target as I approach it but the ball doesn't go there when I do get it there its either a strike or a spare and last night I had trouble with my spares in the middle cause I couldn't get the ball over my target I knew where I wanted the ball to go it just wouldn't go there any help?

Another thing I do good in practice I get 180 182 out of 4 games then when it comes to league night I don't do as well.

I think last night in league I rushed my shot I wasn't taking my time I wasn't really there mentally and it took me all night to figure that out I finally took my time at the end and if wasn't for that I wouldn't have ended up with the score that I got wich wasn't bad I got my average but I can do better I have done better cause my highest score ever in my bowling life I made couple of weeks ago and that was a 216 but doing that league night is hard cause my nerves are working against me and the pressure is on and I want to help my team win cause we close to last place and I wanna improve to get most improve bowler and I want to help my team move up the ladder in rank so I got all that weighing on my mind league night I do better when no one is watching me and I got no worries and my dad not telling me what I am doing wrong cause I know what I am doing wrong I know I am not getting it over my mark and I am trying to hard to get it there but its like the ball has a mind of its own and don't wanna go I try to get between those arrows it just don't go maybe I need to take more time lining up my shot before I step up to the approach on spares and strikes as well and try not to rush things if only I could calm myself down down on league night block all the other people out I would do just fine. any suggestions on blocking the people out of my head?
    I just love when my teammate tells me what I just did wrong. I feel like saying,"Thanks for telling me that I pulled it, I had no idea why the ball was three boards left of my target." Now if he would just tell me something useful like your feet were too fast or you swung the ball behind your back, I could appreciate it. All I can do now is say to myself well at least he means well. I'm sure your dad means well to.

As for blocking people out, head phones might work. You might not even need to have the Ipod or MP3 player on. I know that when I'm bowling with or against someone wearing headphones I don't even bother trying to talk to them cause they're obviously more interested in their tunes than anything I might have to say to them. Might not work on a parent but its worth a shot.

For the nerves, you should realize that a certain amount of stress is a good thing. One way to deal with it is to take a deep breath before you're about to bowl and say to yourself "I've done this in practice and I can do it now." Another thing would be to imagine that you're in league when you're practicing. "I need to make this spare for our team to have a chance to win." I need to throw a strike to win the game." Also, when you practice, savor the good shots that you make. While you're waiting for your ball to come back, or waiting for your turn if you're bowling with friends, replay the the shot in your mind, recalling as much of it as you can. That way it goes into long term memory and you can call it up in league when you need to, seeing yourself make a good shot, just before you do it.
    Last edited by J Anderson; 03-19-2013 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Forgot to actually write what I was thinking
    John

Chats: 0

Wolfgirl.....Welcome to the Boards....

It sounds like you have a very common problem among bowlers, and that is accuracy. Let me see if I can help you fix that problem. Very simply, the most important thing is you MUST keep your eyes focused on the target UNTIL THE BALL ROLLS OVER IT. What many bowlers do, is lift their eyes off of the target, a MICRO SECOND BEFORE they release the ball. That causes 99% of people missing their target. Keep in mind "You can't hit what you don't see". With that said, here's what you can try: #1 - Relax - while you're waiting to get up on the approach, Take a deep breath, hold it for a couple of seconds, then release it. #2 - Get into your set position, look at the pins (i.e. 1-3 for first ball or target pin for the second) draw a mental image of the ball path to those pins from the pins to your arrow. #3 - From that point "do not look anywhere except at your target". #4 - And this is key - from the second you take your first step, DO NOT BLINK YOUR EYES UNTIL YOU RELEASE THE BALL. Know that sounds tough but a little practice and you'll do it naturally. #5 - Once you "SEE" the ball roll over your target, FOLLOW THE BALL down the lane until it drops off of the deck. The ball is going to tell you lots of information as to where you need to be standing, targeting, and where your breakpoint should be to get the ball into the pocket.

Ok, so I'm long winded, but it's a lot faster if your face to face as opposed to typing it. I agree with Bowl1820 (same wavelength) the best way for us to help you out is to shoot a video of yourself throwing a few frames. Doesn't have to be a whole game, may 3 or 4, shoot a few from the back and a couple from the side. That will help us help you the most. Good luck, try those ideas out and let us know if it helped.

n
    Bob

"There truly is such a thing as a bad night and when these doomed evenings arrive you can't avoid them. But there's a bright side to this, it's that bad nights won't kill you, and sometimes will make you a little smarter."

Ringer

You have probably heard that you need to "focus" on your target. I can't tell you just how true that is, and "focus" really does mean focus. If your approach isn't smooth, if your head moves around, if you aren't balanced at release, then there is no way that target is going to remain focused in your field of vision. You've got to treat that target liking you're sighting a rifle through a scope. Get your eyes riveted on it and don't let it move! Move right in line with it with a smooth approach. If you do miss it you should be able to tell someone exactly how much you missed it by. A good percentage of low and medium average bowlers have no clue how far they missed their target if they even really had a target in the first place.
    Ball speed: 17 - 18.5 mph Rev rate: 400ish
    PAP 6 1/8" over 1/4" up
    13° axis tilt / 30°-60° axis rotation
    Thumbless bowler
    High game: 300 High series: 804 High average: 217

Quote Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
    You have probably heard that you need to "focus" on your target. I can't tell you just how true that is, and "focus" really does mean focus. If your approach isn't smooth, if your head moves around, if you aren't balanced at release, then there is no way that target is going to remain focused in your field of vision. You've got to treat that target liking you're sighting a rifle through a scope. Get your eyes riveted on it and don't let it move! Move right in line with it with a smooth approach. If you do miss it you should be able to tell someone exactly how much you missed it by. A good percentage of low and medium average bowlers have no clue how far they missed their target if they even really had a target in the first place.

Good words. Your right on target for her.
    Bob

"There truly is such a thing as a bad night and when these doomed evenings arrive you can't avoid them. But there's a bright side to this, it's that bad nights won't kill you, and sometimes will make you a little smarter."

Blog Entries
    Chats: 67

I just spent the first game of my league missing my target for 7 out of 10 frames last night my self and as i sat there and pondered I told myself
    I was stressed and pressured and still I got no-where... so I started rehashing...
    I know how to bowl > I know where to stand on the approach > I know where my mark is > I know how to hold my ball > I know how to read the lanes >
    I know how to make my moves, so WHAT is the issue? It"s me!!!! I have been lying to myself. My first game was 128 then when I put into perspective what
    my underlying issues truly were not focusing and not following through i was able to bowl a 170 followed by 178.
    I am learning by EXPERIENCE and KNOWLEDGE by applying the TECHNIQUES and INFORMATION from the BOWLERS on BOWLINGBOARDS .COM and have made
    significant improvements on all aspects of my bowling from attitude, approach, formation and up to and including average improvement in a relatively short
    amount of time. I can HONESTLY state I am one HAPPY bowler.
    JUDY / JUDY / JUDY...5/24/13 BOWLING RECORD AMF EULESS LANES HG 216 / HS 535
    PIN PALS, "PLEASE, " SPARE ME SOME STRIKES !!!
    I AM A HAPPY...BLESSED...PROUD...MEMBER...BOWLINGBOARDS.C OM

Sometimes it helps to think laser focus. imagine burning a hole in your target. its hard to keep that focus when u start moving but your eyes have to stay on that target to hit it. Kinda like magnifying lens...the laser of light has to be focused on that one spot for a certain amount of time before it has any effect. Like what everyone said, gotta watch that ball go over the target. that requires a lot of focus. don't take your eyes off the target.

U can try going through your motion without the ball towards the line focusing on nothing but your target. it should train your eyes to move as you move while still looking at one specific area. The angle of your target changes as well as the height of your eyes. So your eyes need to learn to stay focused while your body is moving forward. It is not as easy as it sounds. and that's why not everybody can hit their targets.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

One part of your post sticks out to me. Your target is between the second and third arrows. I really hope it's more concentrated than that each shot. Pick one board and target that only. If you're really aiming for ANY board between those two arrows you're focusing on too large an area.
    Many aspects of the physical game can and will affect accuracy including but not limited to; arm going behind the back, poor foot work, early turn, etc.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast