Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this a good deal for a kids first ball, bag & shoes?

Chats: 0

Default Is this a good deal for a kids first ball, bag & shoes?

My son and I were looking online for our new equipment. He picked out this combo for himself because he likes the color.
    https://www.bowlingball.com/products...e-package.html

Like I said, I don't care what kind of ball he gets for his first one. Round, drilled for him and proper weight thats all. The shoes look a little dorky but they are bowling shoes, they are all dorky. He will likely grow out of the shoes in a season anyway and need a heavier ball once he learns to throw it right. I never heard of Pyramid before nor the quality of their products. What do you think, good deal or Pyramid scheme? Badum bum. Okay so I won't give up my day job.

SandBagger

Pyramid is made in China, I believe.
    Averages: Right (THS):215 | Left (THS):175 | Sport:166 |High Game:300 | High Series:815
    Arsenal: Storm Tropical Storm, 900 Black Ops, Motiv Tank

China huh. Hmmm....That explains the price. The reviews were all good on it but since one guy said he liked it because it looks good in his new Camaro that didn't really sell it for me. With that logic I'd have to forget getting a Gauntlet because it doesn't match my Tahoe. I dunno then, I have to think about it more. I mean, you think he'd get a year with it before the ball crumbling to pieces?

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Pyramid bowling is bowlingball.com house brand of equipment. Several of us on here have their stuff, it's decent budget priced equipment.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 01-10-2018 at 10:28 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

LOL nobody wants to give a definitive yes or no for an opinion. That's okay. We have a month to decide. As long as he knows that when he's old enough to drive he's not getting an orange Camaro too. My first ball was a 9lb. red glittery Columbia Lite Dot. I beat the crap out of that thing and got a few seasons out of it. When I was 9 I went to 13lb Original Yellow dot fingertip no inserts then at 12 I went to my 16lb LT-51 fingertip no inserts. As for this, it's likely what he'll get unless a better deal pops up. I don't think the local pro shop can compete with that price.

SandBagger

Okay, since you want a definite answer, I would say no. If I can obtain something made here in the U.S.A. (and it's easy with bowling balls) then I will. Sending manufacturing over to China is ridiculous. Support U.S. manufacturing instead.

P.S. I almost bought a Pyramid Force, but when I found out where they were made I scratched it off my list.
    Averages: Right (THS):215 | Left (THS):175 | Sport:166 |High Game:300 | High Series:815
    Arsenal: Storm Tropical Storm, 900 Black Ops, Motiv Tank

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    LOL nobody wants to give a definitive yes or no for an opinion. That's okay. We have a month to decide. As long as he knows that when he's old enough to drive he's not getting an orange Camaro too. My first ball was a 9lb. red glittery Columbia Lite Dot. I beat the crap out of that thing and got a few seasons out of it. When I was 9 I went to 13lb Original Yellow dot fingertip no inserts then at 12 I went to my 16lb LT-51 fingertip no inserts. As for this, it's likely what he'll get unless a better deal pops up. I don't think the local pro shop can compete with that price.
    One, almost all polyester balls, T-Zones, White Dots, etc. are made in China

Two, for a first ball you need to find a good local ball driller. Once you get a good fit, Bowlingball.com or Buddiesproshop.com can copy it.

Three, my local proshop, which just happens to be Buddies Pro Shop, will usually run a special at the start of the fall season: single bag, ball, and shoes for $100. I’m not sure whether that includes drilling or whether the selection includes anything other than spare balls.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    One, almost all polyester balls, T-Zones, White Dots, etc. are made in China

Two, for a first ball you need to find a good local ball driller. Once you get a good fit, Bowlingball.com or Buddiesproshop.com can copy it.

Three, my local proshop, which just happens to be Buddies Pro Shop, will usually run a special at the start of the fall season: single bag, ball, and shoes for $100. I’m not sure whether that includes drilling or whether the selection includes anything other than spare balls.
    I do have a great driller to go to, I've been going to him most of my life. He's an hour away from where I currently live but it's worth the trip. His prices are high for equipment though, they always have been. Even with the break he'd cut me it's still much higher than I was seeing online. Since I'm getting him started in a month I'd rather not wait until fall to get his stuff. I'll just have to suck it up.

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    I do have a great driller to go to, I've been going to him most of my life. He's an hour away from where I currently live but it's worth the trip. His prices are high for equipment though, they always have been. Even with the break he'd cut me it's still much higher than I was seeing online. Since I'm getting him started in a month I'd rather not wait until fall to get his stuff. I'll just have to suck it up.
    For the initial fit you'll have to go to a proshop to get it drilled up. So add about 30-60 dollars depending on area to the price. While I love my country if you make a quality product that I like I'll buy it and a J Anderson pointed out most plastic balls are imports anyway. I've only used one pyramid ball it was ok mainly seen good reviews on here for a kids first ball it doesn't matter. My nephew got the same shoes they held up well.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Cranker

That package is $121, so average of $40 per item and you still have to get the ball drilled. Since that is a plastic ball, I would buy the ball from a local pro shop since the drilling will probably be included in the price, then you can definitely buy shoes and a one ball tote for less than $80 online.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast