Thread: Hey Phonetek - as a GM . . .

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Default Hey Phonetek - as a GM . . .

what is up with flooding the lanes for open bowling?

Several centers, now, on (weekend, evening) open bowling and they've been FLOOOOOOOODED.

It used to be that open bowling just had a fairly house shot. Oil was there to protect the wood lanes. I used to enjoy it - learn to trust myself when I can't readily see the arrows; learn to focus with everything in chaos around me; learn to have fun with the little kids (and on Sunday night there was this little CUTIE PATOOTIE next to us - SO sweet! ) but now?

Now - lanes are synthetic. Plastic balls aren't going to hurt them nearly as much as they would hurt wood lanes. Oil costs money . . . and they are flooding the lanes during open play. Seems like an unnecessary waste of money . . . and as it is, I likely won't ever do an evening play again. Balls come back COATED with oil; I can backspin the ball all the way down the lane with no movement; just no real value to it anymore.

Thought you might have an insight.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by boomer View Post
    what is up with flooding the lanes for open bowling?

Several centers, now, on (weekend, evening) open bowling and they've been FLOOOOOOOODED.

It used to be that open bowling just had a fairly house shot. Oil was there to protect the wood lanes. I used to enjoy it - learn to trust myself when I can't readily see the arrows; learn to focus with everything in chaos around me; learn to have fun with the little kids (and on Sunday night there was this little CUTIE PATOOTIE next to us - SO sweet! ) but now?

Now - lanes are synthetic. Plastic balls aren't going to hurt them nearly as much as they would hurt wood lanes. Oil costs money . . . and they are flooding the lanes during open play. Seems like an unnecessary waste of money . . . and as it is, I likely won't ever do an evening play again. Balls come back COATED with oil; I can backspin the ball all the way down the lane with no movement; just no real value to it anymore.

Thought you might have an insight.
    I’ve never run a lane machine but from having watched them I would guess that the center doesn’t have an employee that really understands the machine so either it’s not getting the right program or it’s not stripping the back ends so the oil just keeps accumulating.
    John