Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need some help with building my new arsenal

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Reread the post Aslan. He stated he's playing 18 to 8. You don't play that deep. He is speed dominate though from the stats he posted.
    What does 18 to 8 mean?

I assumed standing 2 boards right of center (18) and targeting the 8-board.

I just got done playing on wood lanes for the first time in quite awhile and it was very interesting. I was throwing my Scandal Pearl up 5-7 and standing 14-15...but more on that in my scores section.

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by JCM View Post
    Hello all,

I quit bowling about 3 years ago, but have recently picked it back up. I currently have two balls along with a spare ball. One I love (Hammer Scandal Pearl), one I hate (DV8 Pitbull). I'm looking to add a stepdown from the Scandal, as well as a step up (maybe not a step up, but an earlier roll) from the Scandal. I prefer pearls and hybrids, but will keep the pitbull for tournament play when the oil is thick.

Any ideas? I normally play fairly straight, about 17mph with a low 300 rev rate. I'm really open to anything, just looking to fill in the gaps. Eventually I will buy a urethane as well for wood lanes / dry conditions. Any balls you guys would recommend or thoughts on the choices I'm looking at? Thanks!
    JCM, my speed and line are the same as yours. My rev rate is just a little higher than yours. I like the RG hy-wire idea as a step down. Please consider this as a step up. The RG haywire, I just bought two more, it is a great symmetric solid with a small core. I use a low flaring layout, but you should use a medium or high flaring layout because of your slightly lower revs. Everyone should have a symmetric solid in their arsenal. The scandal pearl is top tier among pearls.

I expect the haywire and hywire to go out of production soon, that is why I bought now. Fall bowling season often brings many new releases from all companies. See my signature for my current arsenal.

This thread contains good posts from aslan and Amyers too.
    Hammer Purple Urethane. Storm Surge Hybrid, Storm Pitch Purple, Roto Grip Hyper Cell.
    2 Storm Surge Pearl 4x4x2 and a no flare, ,Roto Grip Hot Cell, Roto Grip Haywire.
    2020/2021, Hi Average 219, Hi Game 289, Hi Series 771, 30 Clean 4, 700 Series 16.
    2021/2022, Hi Average 211, Hi Game 256 Hi Series 693, 30 Clean 0, 700 Series 0.
    Proud member of Bowlingboards.com Since 2013.

My ball is released at 18 out to about 8 at the break point. So basically the ball at the arrows is in between 3rd and 4th arrow, goes down to about the 2nd arrow and breaks back to the pocket.

Is the Haywire similar at all to the IQ Tour Solid? I had one of those at one point and liked it a lot. But once I got the Fusion I sold it to a friend who REALLY liked it. Plus I was throwing the Fusion and the Mastermind 90% of the time.

My ball is released at 18 out to about 8 at the break point. So basically the ball at the arrows is in between 3rd and 4th arrow, goes down to about the 2nd arrow and breaks back to the pocket.
    Nothing personal, but I think that it's pretty terrifying that you ALWAYS play the same line, and are looking for a ball that will fit into your own little mold. The lanes tell you where to play. Once you understand bowling balls, you will choose a ball that will allow you to carry from the line that the lanes have dictated.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

2. I generally play a pretty straight shot, normally from 18 out to 8 at the most. At a certain point, balls will start to go high and I adjust to the left as long as I can, making parallel moves and occasionally 2-1's up unto the point when the ball either starts to burn out or I can no longer create enough angle to carry the corner pins. That's normally when I switch.
    Okay, So your hitting 18 at the arrows (which is between 3rd & 4th arrow) out to 8 at the breakpoint. That means your releasing about 25 at the foul line.

Click for larger image of 18 to 8

That's not really playing a pretty straight shot.

On wood I have to get deeper and keep my speed firm or I can't keep it on the lanes. On synthetic I normally start 18-8 but it really depends.
    Starting at 18 to 8 is pretty deep to begin with and you have to start deeper?

Some days I can throw it right up the 5 board hard and it's perfect.
    Okay straight up 5, basically a down and in shot. that's a big difference between that and the 18 to 8 shot.

I think you should look into your lane play and ball & surfaces choices first, Before investing in a new ball.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 06-18-2017 at 06:39 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 0

Is the Haywire similar at all to the IQ Tour Solid? I had one of those at one point and liked it a lot. But once I got the Fusion I sold it to a friend who REALLY liked it. Plus I was throwing the Fusion and the Mastermind 90% of the time.
    Never rolled the IQ Tour Solid, you can compare balls on bowlingball.com

Part 2, I put the ball down at 18, at the foul line. This is my go to line. per Rob, if warm up time tells me something else, I make another choice, ball or line.
    Hammer Purple Urethane. Storm Surge Hybrid, Storm Pitch Purple, Roto Grip Hyper Cell.
    2 Storm Surge Pearl 4x4x2 and a no flare, ,Roto Grip Hot Cell, Roto Grip Haywire.
    2020/2021, Hi Average 219, Hi Game 289, Hi Series 771, 30 Clean 4, 700 Series 16.
    2021/2022, Hi Average 211, Hi Game 256 Hi Series 693, 30 Clean 0, 700 Series 0.
    Proud member of Bowlingboards.com Since 2013.

No I misspoke. 18 would be at the foul line, out to 8, then back. It doesn't seem that much of a swing to me. I'd never get the ball back 25 to 8. It's just that the Pitbull seems to be too much under the conditions I play (the surface change may fix that), and the Pearl is very good under most circumstances but not all. Just looking to fill in the gap.

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Nothing personal, but I think that it's pretty terrifying that you ALWAYS play the same line, and are looking for a ball that will fit into your own little mold. The lanes tell you where to play. Once you understand bowling balls, you will choose a ball that will allow you to carry from the line that the lanes have dictated.
    Based on the assumption that lanes differ a great deal. I've played multiple centers in multiple states and a THS in one place tends to be a THS in another place.

However, in all fairness to Rob's point, having an arsenal that is built to stay in one's comfort zone DOES have it's disadvantages when you encounter drastically different lane conditions, sport patterns, and tournament/travel situations. By not having stronger/more surfaced options...I generally am limited to 1-17 at the arrows. If the lanes transition faster than usual...for whatever reason...and I find myself around center arrow...I don't have equipment that can properly read the midlane, my rev rate is limited, and I haven't had much success dropping my speed without messing up my timing.

The breakpoint really doesn't matter (concerning the line). Using the standard math (Rule of ???)...the breakpoint is always about 7-9...right around the 2nd tracer (if you're bowling on lanes that have tracers).

The line is how you get the ball to the breakpoint.

A "straight ball" bowler generally has a "release point" similar to where the ball crosses the arrow...thus a "straight" shot. A truly straight shot will have a release point and arrow crossing = to the breakpoint. For example, in Vegas...where the lanes tend to play a bit slicker/longer...I tend to release the ball around 7 (foul line), it crosses the arrows at about 7, and hits the breakpoint at about 8.

The other "straight ball" bowler is one that throws a ball with little to no hook straight up the 3rd arrow...straight line to the pocket. This doesn't utilize the breakpoint (because there is no break)...and carry usually suffers because the entry angle isn't ideal.

By contrast, when I'm throwing my Scandal Pearl;
    - my release point (foul line) is generally at 17.
    - I cross the arrows at about 12.
    - Breakpoint is generally about 9.

So, that seems similar to what you're talking about...so I assume you're crossing the arrows at around 11-13 depending on your rev rate. I don't consider myself a true "stroker"...but I'm also not yet a classic "tweener" either.

Who said I always play the same line? I play all over, but my baseline shot to get lined up is from 18 at release to 8 at the breakpoint. And when I make a ball change I tend to go back to my bread and butter and adjust from there. I make all kinds of adjustments throughout. I feel a lot of condescension from some of you guys (real or imaginary, it's hard to tell online), when my only goal is to get better. I'm working with a coach, and bowling as much as I can these days trying to get my average back to 180-190 like it used to be. Are you guys suggesting that I should just pick one ball and make it work regardless? I'm really asking. I'm never gonna be a top tier tournament bowler, and honestly don't wanna be. I'm just looking for some equipment advice. Will try out the Haywire. Thanks.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast